Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Nice way to order parts if you are Canadian and close to the border.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice way to order parts if you are Canadian and close to the border.

Well I wanted to avoid the crappy brokerage fees when I order my 2.5 BB and shocks from Rough Country. (Call and ask for Ben)
(One member on here paid and extra $110 at the border.!!!)

Another member (blackjkrubi) mentioned getting it sent to a UPS store on the US side. So I called the UPS store in Ogdensburg NY. You can get it shipped there. All you do is put the address of the store when you order. Once it gets there they will hold it for up to a week or more depending on how busy the store it I guess. (She didnt specifically say it was a policy to hold it only a week, they just would rather you did.)
Whomever you order from should be giving you a tracking number, follow it and when it gets to the store pick it up. Remember you have to declare it but usually that isnt much...just GST and PST at best...the the usual Brokerage ginormous fee.

Anyway I hope this help someone out. And if it has been mentioned sorry bout that.

TH

Last edited by dyolfknip; 03-25-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Well I wanted to avoid the crappy brokerage fees when I order my 2.5 BB and shocks from Rough Country. (Call and ask for Ben)

Another member (and sorry guys I deleted the PM's) mentioned getting it sent to a UPS store on the US side. So I called the UPS store in Ogdensburg NY. You can get it shipped there. All you do is put the address of the store when you order. Once it gets there they will hold it for up to a week or more depending on how busy the store it I guess. (She didnt specifically say it was a policy to hold it only a week, they just would rather you did.)
Whomever you order from should be giving you a tracking number, follow it and when it gets to the store pick it up. Remember you have to declare it but usually that isnt much...just GST and PST at best...the the usual Brokerage ginormous fee.

Anyway I hope this help someone out. And if it has been mentioned sorry bout that.

TH
i told you it would work didn't I ?? but you don't pay for brokerage fees, just taxes if it's a product made in the USA or Mexico ( free trade agreement)
Old 03-25-2008, 03:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by blackjkrubi
i told you it would work didn't I ?? but you don't pay for brokerage fees, just taxes if it's a product made in the USA or Mexico ( free trade agreement)

Thanks a lot man....next time you are in the area drop by for a beer.....hey are you going to thisthis weekend?
Cheers
TH
Old 03-25-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

Thanks a lot man....next time you are in the area drop by for a beer.....hey are you going to thisthis weekend?
Cheers
TH
I wish I could go but I have other plans, I'll take a rain check on that beer!!!!

JL
Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another member (blackjkrubi) mentioned getting it sent to a UPS store on the US side. So I called the UPS store in Ogdensburg NY. You can get it shipped there. All you do is put the address of the store when you order. Once it gets there they will hold it for up to a week or more depending on how busy the store it I guess. (She didnt specifically say it was a policy to hold it only a week, they just would rather you did.)

TH

errrr.... why not just install whatever it is you order and drive back home, declaring a day spent sightseeing?

errrx2... my bad.. it might be easier to install most stuff at home.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Having owned 5 Jeeps and the sixth one is being built in Ohio next week, I have some experience buying items from the United States and having it shipped to Canada. If you remember anything - stop using UPS. They will slap a big Brokeage Fee to everything they bring across the border.
Order and insist on United States Postal Service (USPS). You will usually avoid all Brokeage Fees, and have more money to buy additional equipment.
My 2 cents.

Eddie
Old 03-26-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by oZmonKey
errrr.... why not just install whatever it is you order and drive back home, declaring a day spent sightseeing?

errrx2... my bad.. it might be easier to install most stuff at home.
LOL no doubt, I dont have any friends in NY with a garage and somehow pulling over on the interstate to install a lift may attract attention....I will pay the 8% tax...lol....
Old 04-01-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Buuut if you had them bring it to a UPS Store by the border they wouldn't charge the brokerage fee right? Because if you're close to the border you can pick it up yourself, no? Just asking...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by superman_tom
Buuut if you had them bring it to a UPS Store by the border they wouldn't charge the brokerage fee right? Because if you're close to the border you can pick it up yourself, no? Just asking...
That is correct. All you pay at the border (if you declare it,thats up to you) is either GST or PST I cant remember.
TH
Old 04-01-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SUBIGON
Having owned 5 Jeeps and the sixth one is being built in Ohio next week, I have some experience buying items from the United States and having it shipped to Canada. If you remember anything - stop using UPS. They will slap a big Brokeage Fee to everything they bring across the border.
Order and insist on United States Postal Service (USPS). You will usually avoid all Brokeage Fees, and have more money to buy additional equipment.
My 2 cents.

Eddie
ahaha i forgot to add this quote in my question/statement..

Thanks for that though!!

Quick Reply: Nice way to order parts if you are Canadian and close to the border.