Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

newsweek: Chrysler, R.I.P.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
paid $1.97 a gallon yesterday
wow, i paid about 2.79 a gallon the other day. wish it was back down there but no big deal, only putting gas into one vehicle now instead of two.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be awful to see Jeep go, however I do not feel bad for Chrysler. With their horrible service, warranty denial ect. It is no wonder they are going under. I know if there was something else that competed with Jeep I would never buy another Chrysler product again.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

ehh...maybe we'll get a LSxx based engine in a new Rubi for 2010 with D60s
Old 11-05-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With GM already having Hummer, if they buy Chrysler I expect Jeep to be gone!!

The only possible exception is if GM immediately sells off the Jeep division.. Right now the only other company looking is Nissan.. Nissan owning Jeep might be OK..

Also, did anyone know that the new VW mini-van is actually built by Chrysler, maybe they would by the mini-van division.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
Hummer has already been slated for the chopping block (I think 2010 IIRC). So no, they would not kill Jeep to keep Hummer. Jeep would be a valuable asset to them, whereas the overpriced Hummer has just been a worthless anchor.
I completely agree. GM has been trying to sell off the Hummer line for some time and the Wrangler market will always be there as long as they don't royally screw future designs.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

I actually doubt that if Chrysler disappear, Jeep would as well. I think Jeep will be sold as it can make money. I remember when Mercedes sold Chrysler, there were rumors that Mercedes was actually going back and forth about keeping Jeep in the Mercedes Benz family. They did end up not keeping it because it gave more value (and money) to Chrysler than selling Chrysler without it. I think Jeep could potentially do very well if run independently, sort of be the American Land Rover. Jeep should offer a limited amount of models (Wranglers, Cherokee and something in between) and keep their focus on cars and people that enjoy the outdoors. Sort of a mixed between Land Rover and Subaru. And keep focus on their roots, I think they did a great job with the JK and the Jk unlimited, Jeep can do it...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hig4s
With GM already having Hummer, if they buy Chrysler I expect Jeep to be gone!!
Not likely at all As stated hummer sales have been labeld as an automotive industry ship anchor for years.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Default It ain't over yet!

"Chrysler may be down, but we're a long way from out. It's time for us to prove the naysayers wrong with another one of our patented comebacks!" - Cerberus Capital Management this summer, CEO Bob Nardelli
This is the kind of attitude we need. If Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep slashed prices, kills of redundant product lines and puts a bit more effort into pinching pennies, I think they can weather the storm. Some models will no-doubt need to go bye-bye, and a more gas-friendly focus wouldn't hurt. Bring out the Diesels and the EV concept!

Hopefully the Obama administration can take a hard look at the Auto industry and find some ways to promote US auto-makers. Give a tax credit if you own a vehicle conceptualized and made (for the most part) in the US!

People: stop buying Toyotas and start buying from the USA!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by drcre8tive
This is the kind of attitude we need. If Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep slashed prices, kills of redundant product lines and puts a bit more effort into pinching pennies, I think they can weather the storm. Some models will no-doubt need to go bye-bye, and a more gas-friendly focus wouldn't hurt. Bring out the Diesels and the EV concept!

Hopefully the Obama administration can take a hard look at the Auto industry and find some ways to promote US auto-makers. Give a tax credit if you own a vehicle conceptualized and made (for the most part) in the US!

People: stop buying Toyotas and start buying from the USA!

I would not hold my breath on the Obama part of that !!???
Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

The market will handle it. Jeep will survive.

Quick Reply: newsweek: Chrysler, R.I.P.