Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Newbie needs recommendations on carring extra gas

Old 04-29-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs recommendations on carring extra gas

I'm new on here, waiting on my new Rubicon Unlimited to come in from the factory. While I wait I've been looking around for a way to carry extra gas for the long off-road trips I plan on taking with my Jeep club. I currently own a Scrambler with a 33-gallon tank so I don't worry about Jerry cans. I see there are no aftermarket companies making extra big gas tanks so I figured I'll have to mount them next to the tire or on a roof rack.

What recommendation do you have on the best way to carry extra gas on your JK?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jim
Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you planning to carry with a 100% stock JK or bumpers and such added?

I ran my Jerry this way on one outing. Basic covered block of wood and two ratchet straps. Held up for a good hour ride to the trail, all day wheelin, and back (full of course). I don't think I'd do the same now, due to my 35" tire being on the gate now.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alpha Expedition carries an ARB fuel tank that mounts underneath. Its not cheap, but would fit your unlimited. It would be a bit excessive for my taste.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Are you planning to carry with a 100% stock JK or bumpers and such added?
100% stock unless there is some compelling reason to go with a bumper/swing out tire carrier. I'm not planning on bigger tires at this point.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

You don't neccesarily need bigger wheels/tires to have a rear bumper/tire carrier. A lot of people buy them to get the weight off the tailgate & to add a basket and Jerry cans or what ever.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love this setup:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/customized-my-tire-carrier-fuel-water-storage-75894/

Old 05-03-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scramblin_Jim
I'm new on here, waiting on my new Rubicon Unlimited to come in from the factory. While I wait I've been looking around for a way to carry extra gas for the long off-road trips I plan on taking with my Jeep club. I currently own a Scrambler with a 33-gallon tank so I don't worry about Jerry cans. I see there are no aftermarket companies making extra big gas tanks so I figured I'll have to mount them next to the tire or on a roof rack.

What recommendation do you have on the best way to carry extra gas on your JK?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jim
Eat more beans, carry more gas!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

LoD, Shrockworks, Hard Rock 4x4 all make carriers with baskets also. What is the groups advice on having a basket over the tire? Bad idea? Any companies better than another?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Scramblin_Jim
LoD, Shrockworks, Hard Rock 4x4 all make carriers with baskets also. What is the groups advice on having a basket over the tire? Bad idea? Any companies better than another?
I love my Shrockworks rear bumper with all of the extras. And I helped TORN install an LOD on his JK and it worked great during our trip to Moab earlier this month. We spent three days on White Rim Trail and having the extra gas and the carrying capacity was a definitely useful. We were able to carry extra cooking gear, so we could do some Dutch Oven cooking (needed to pack in and out an ice chest, charcoal and a pan to use in lieu of a fire ring) and gas (for safety margin, in case we had to turn around, and for the sidetrips).

BTW: Shrockworks has long delivery times and charges your credit card the day you order. I, personally, think the products they make are worth the wait and hassle, but if you want something within days and not weeks or months, you probably should order from somewhere else. Screamin' Lizard does carry Shrockworks products, so you might check with them, but if they don't have it ...

My Jeep is the four door, TORN's is the two door ...

Old 05-24-2010, 03:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I've got 5 gallons of extra fuel, a #10 CO2 tank, Hi-Lift and spare tire on my OR-Fab carrier. The installation is tedious, but this is a pretty useful setup. Pictured last year, before I got my 35s (and yes, the ORF will carry up through a 35 w/o any issues whatsoever). Very sturdy.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?99045

Quick Reply: Newbie needs recommendations on carring extra gas