Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Newbie needs basics of lift/tire combos etc.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs basics of lift/tire combos etc.

Thank you all in advance for your help and advice.

Intro:
Yours truly has, after many "phases" of auto ownership, has decided to take the plunge into the world of the Jeep Wrangler. Having never owned a 4 Wheel vehicle before, this raises many questions:

The Goal:
To purchase and modify an 09 Rubicon Unlimited (Auto), with a 4-5" lift and 35" tires on 18" wheels, heavy duty bumpers, winch, hi-lift jack, extra lighting, air compressor, CB radio, and whatever the h3ll else I can think of (afford) to maximize my ambitious future off-road adventures - i.e. camping, hunting, fishing and just wheelin for no reason at all.

What I know so far:
I want to be able to keep it in my garage, so going by Jeeps specs on their site, an 09 Rubicon is 72" high stock, this gives me 10" of "free space" to play with and keep it in the garage. I figure, 4-5 " of lift from suspension and 2" of lift from tires, and I should be golden. Oh, and I'm in serious lust with Poison Spiders bead lock wheels already so there's not much room for negotiation on that front.

This is where all you fine people come in:
What brand do you recommend for a reliable, daily drivable, suspension lift package for say under $2,000.00?

Does a 4" lift really give you 4" of lift or could it be more (based on some of the forum comments I read)?

If I get a 4" lift, and it gives me 5" of lift, will I need to replace drive shafts or other components to prevent breakage under normal driving or modest wheeling conditions? - My Dad warns me not to go above 4" without beefing up several components underneath first...

And, if there are folks with a similar set up, how is the daily drive with these mods - i.e. gas mileage, engine power, shifting, acceleration, blah, blah blah...

For grins:
I'm getting Deep Water Blue, with gray (although I wish I could get khaki), Nav and media package, towing, remote start, engine block heater, dual tops, and very excited.

Last edited by DatWunGai; 12-22-2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typ-o/click-o? didn't finish my tags
Old 12-22-2008, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

There are tons of posts in the Modified section. Welcome to the family!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4" of lift can give you more yes, but normally this is to acount for extra weight (aftermarket bumpers, winches, etc.) Since you plan to get all this yes, you will most likely end up with 4" of lift depending on the kit you choose.

As far as the lift goes, with your limit of 2k you have alot to choose from. Start looking around, theres alot on this forum (and im sure some others will chime in with their suggestions) but with that price range you will be sure to get a great kit.

For beefing up under your rig since you are getting a Rubicon you will have front and rear Dana 44s so they will be fine for the 35s you plan to get. Also i belive you will get 4.10 gears which will work with 35s. (some people upgrade, and some love the drive with the 4.10s, either way they will work for you). Hopefully someone else will chime in about the driveshaft cause i got a 2door so the driveshaft deal is compleatly different.

Now that i have said all that, my suggestion for a lift, i would look into the Full-Traction Premium 4" lift. Its a couple hundred under your limit and is a pretty solid kit. There are also a bunch of others out there that perform great im sure other members will suggest

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:18 PM
JK Freak

Cann't help with the lift/size questions but welcome to the forum, mine will not fit in my garage with the top in the sunrider position ... when I install my BB and wheels and tires it's going to have to sit outside.
What are you going to do with an engine block heater in Vegas?
Old 12-23-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BJeepJK
.....What are you going to do with an engine block heater in Vegas?
I was thinking the same thing. lol.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go 15 to 17 inch wheels, smaller the better, I wish I didn't do 18"s.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you all for your great suggestions!

As for the engine heater, I have friends in Colorado and I visit in both summer and winter and I figure in could come in handy in the colder climates. But generally, it wont be used. I knew someone would ask!

What's the difference between 17" or 18" wheels? I admit, I like the look of the 35"/18" combo, and that's the main reason for that choice.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rim diameter. The bigger the number, the less side on a tire. Say 15, 16, 17,18, 20"rims. Tires are all 35" So you lose tire with the bigger rims.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

I know the rim diameter part, and bigger wheel = less tire side wall, what I mean is, what difference does it make when you're on a trail? Is one inch THAT significant?

Quick Reply: Newbie needs basics of lift/tire combos etc.