Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Newbie Here.... Just got one

Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonG
35" tires and 2 to 3" lift... You can do a BB teraflex lift and get 35's under there... Jusy my 2 cents but once your jeep is up with big tires you'll fall in love more
Accessory!! Not Mod!!

(But he's right)
Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doubleusn
Rearview mirror mod... and congrats on the JK
LOL, i was just thinking yesterday how low the stupid mirror was, almost looks like its right in the middle of the windshield.

Im doing this when i get off work
Old 06-05-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firefighters_Axe
Accessory!! Not Mod!!

(But he's right)
sorry mods and accessories...
Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by doublebaggin17
sorry mods and accessories...
Get grab handles! My wife loves them!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Newbie Here.... Just got one

Originally Posted by RockyBlue

Nice!... ... ...
Old 06-05-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RockyBlue
That will probably earn a few brownie points... thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 01:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Well, you didn't mention a budget. Assuming you want to start with some less expensive things first, here are a few ideas:

1. Zip-tie the hood latches. Or replace them with Daystars. Either will stop hood dance.

2. Grab bars. Already mentioned, but definitely help out. If you want to go cheap in the rear, there is a thread about using kayak handles for less than $10 on the rear. That was such a successful mod developed by someone here on the forum three years ago, that now all of the grab bar manufacturers copied it and offer their own versions for 2-4 times as much.

3. Floor mats. If you're going to be in the mud, get some decent floor mats. I have the Husky, but the Quadratec mats, which weren't available when I bought mine, would seem to be better. Either are good.

4. Woods' mods. he has a whole bunch that you can review at http://www.jeepswag.com. I personally recommend the evaporative cannister relocation and the steering stabilizer relocation if you will be wheeling.

5. If you don't have recovery points, you'll want them. For the rear, you can use a 2" receiver trailer hitch pin. Or get a ltitle fancier with a D-ring adapter that plugs right into the receiver. If you don't have a 2" receiver, strongly recommend you add one--even if you'll never tow, it makes a great place to attach things (Note--lots of aftermarket bumpers come with unrated hitches built in. If you want a rated hitch, there are some bumpers that work with the stock hitch).

6. A Bestop Trail Cover will let you keep your Jeep, no top, no doors, dry while outside. It also keeps spiders/cats/etc from setting up residence/marking their territory on your driver's seat while parked outside overnight.

7. The best looking configuration, IMHO, is with a safari top. I strongly recommend the Mopar Sunbonnet. Stupid name, I know. But, despite its significantly higher cost than other options, it's worth every penny. If you prefer something a little airier, there are also a couple companies making mesh tops. Along with the safari top, a Bestop Duster can provide protection for things stored in the rear area. And looks cool.

8. Lift/Bumpers/Winch/Tires/Wheels. You can spend a lot of coin here. I have about $8K spent on just this part of my upgrades, alone, and my rig is fairly modest compared to some (okay, maybe the bumpers/winch are top-of-the-line).

9. GPS. If you don't have a GPS, I recommend the Garmin Nuvi 550. Compared to more typical GPSs, it is waterproof, and it has 1:100K terrain maps. A typical street GPS looks out of place in a Jeep. A typical hiking GPS has too small a display. And, the Nuvi 550 looks well-suited in the Jeep interior (assuming you have gray).

10. Trail tools and gear. If you're going to wheel, there are certain things you need to carry. Not only does this include wrenches, screwdrivers, etc, but it also includes a Hi-lift, shovel, axe, survival gear (matches, water, etc). There are threads discussing this; recommend you study them.

11. CB radio. That's what everyone uses on the trail. Having it built in is very convenient (as compared to a handheld). However, having a handheld is also handy--it lets someone guiding you/taking pictures of you give you directions.

Anyway, hope that the above gives you a few ideas.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doublebaggin17
Thanks for all the ideas guys... I have to go on Quadratec tonight and spend some green
Try NORTHRIDGE for parts an accessories Over $100 and free shipping. I have yet to buy from Dave but everyone swears by his customer service I've bought plenty from Quadratec as well but shop around and find the best deals...... For sure relocate your evap canister Cheap mod and very important... Good luck on your build and post pics..... Oh by the way, I love my RE lift. It's only standard right now but still amazing especially when the sway bars are diconnected
Old 06-06-2010, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Well, you didn't mention a budget. Assuming you want to start with some less expensive things first, here are a few ideas:

1. Zip-tie the hood latches. Or replace them with Daystars. Either will stop hood dance.

2. Grab bars. Already mentioned, but definitely help out. If you want to go cheap in the rear, there is a thread about using kayak handles for less than $10 on the rear. That was such a successful mod developed by someone here on the forum three years ago, that now all of the grab bar manufacturers copied it and offer their own versions for 2-4 times as much.

3. Floor mats. If you're going to be in the mud, get some decent floor mats. I have the Husky, but the Quadratec mats, which weren't available when I bought mine, would seem to be better. Either are good.

4. Woods' mods. he has a whole bunch that you can review at http://www.jeepswag.com. I personally recommend the evaporative cannister relocation and the steering stabilizer relocation if you will be wheeling.

5. If you don't have recovery points, you'll want them. For the rear, you can use a 2" receiver trailer hitch pin. Or get a ltitle fancier with a D-ring adapter that plugs right into the receiver. If you don't have a 2" receiver, strongly recommend you add one--even if you'll never tow, it makes a great place to attach things (Note--lots of aftermarket bumpers come with unrated hitches built in. If you want a rated hitch, there are some bumpers that work with the stock hitch).

6. A Bestop Trail Cover will let you keep your Jeep, no top, no doors, dry while outside. It also keeps spiders/cats/etc from setting up residence/marking their territory on your driver's seat while parked outside overnight.

7. The best looking configuration, IMHO, is with a safari top. I strongly recommend the Mopar Sunbonnet. Stupid name, I know. But, despite its significantly higher cost than other options, it's worth every penny. If you prefer something a little airier, there are also a couple companies making mesh tops. Along with the safari top, a Bestop Duster can provide protection for things stored in the rear area. And looks cool.

8. Lift/Bumpers/Winch/Tires/Wheels. You can spend a lot of coin here. I have about $8K spent on just this part of my upgrades, alone, and my rig is fairly modest compared to some (okay, maybe the bumpers/winch are top-of-the-line).

9. GPS. If you don't have a GPS, I recommend the Garmin Nuvi 550. Compared to more typical GPSs, it is waterproof, and it has 1:100K terrain maps. A typical street GPS looks out of place in a Jeep. A typical hiking GPS has too small a display. And, the Nuvi 550 looks well-suited in the Jeep interior (assuming you have gray).

10. Trail tools and gear. If you're going to wheel, there are certain things you need to carry. Not only does this include wrenches, screwdrivers, etc, but it also includes a Hi-lift, shovel, axe, survival gear (matches, water, etc). There are threads discussing this; recommend you study them.

11. CB radio. That's what everyone uses on the trail. Having it built in is very convenient (as compared to a handheld). However, having a handheld is also handy--it lets someone guiding you/taking pictures of you give you directions.

Anyway, hope that the above gives you a few ideas.
Wow, That about covers it... ha I guess i should get started... Thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't dipped into modding, but I read about mods a lot on this site and the best bang for your buck seems to be the flashpaq, overwhelmingly. I don't think I've read a single comment that wasn't stellar. For $300 you get more power and better mpg's, and it's the one mod that seems to do what it actually says it'll do. And, it pays for itself in a year. Whether you're serious or just a casual Jeeper like me, I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Quick Reply: Newbie Here.... Just got one