Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

NEWB: Options/Packages

Old 01-26-2007, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Docwinkle
Well i'm all for safety. But do the side airbags help rear passengers? anyhoo the soft top does come with tint in the S package. and being on the islands it rains alot so what are the odds of being caught out with the top off? You will need seat covers for the seats and they are hard to find for the air bags.
And for security mayb not get tint, so a crook will see the inside of your jeep. if its tinted they will think there is a possibility of something in there and slash your top even if its empty. you can cut the top and not set off an alarm.
Just my .02
http://wetokole.net/Merchant2/mercha...Store_Code=WOH

it seems that Wet Okole makes seat-deployed airbag compatible seat covers. there's videos at the bottom of that link. i've already let my wife start planning the color scheme. as for security, i don't want to get a hardtop as i honestly don't think we'll ever use it on the island, plus i'm just not very happy with the factory hardtops right now and can't justify an extra $1600 for the option (aftermarket is already looking to be more promising). i was thinking perhaps i should just leave the jeep sans-valuables but with the doors unlocked. after taking a look around inside (and seeing nothing easily pilferable), if nothing else, it might be a nice advertisement to coax a would-be criminal into leaving the darkside and getting a nice jeep of his own

thx for your reply
Old 01-26-2007, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK4ME
Changing the windows is as easy as zipping out the old ones and zipping in the new ones.
thanks, when i read your comment, i almost slapped myself. i was standing in the dealer lot last nite staring at the removed panels thinking, "man, i wonder how you reseal it after ripping the panel out of the soft frame".....
Old 01-26-2007, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Default half doors?

if i were to order half doors, do i lose my power locks, windows and the alarm? if so, why is that exactly? and if i they don't provide power windows, what would the windows be? would they be the old style zip out plastic windows on front as well as the back or would i have glass in the front and zippers in the rear/back? would the soft top still be the sunrider top that i could "easily" fold down?

i really like the look of the half doors, but i don't want to sacrifice the convenience of the power options and a fully functional soft top. not to mention i think that zippered front windows is a bit lame. and ya, i've already searched these and various other forums but i don't feel that my questions were fully addressed.

thanks again for all the replies.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some answers

The half doors are only available with the power locks, not keyless entry. The "S" package includes tinted windows, so does the "C" package. The rear windows on the soft top should match the front windows. If not the dealer should be able to swap them. I have the dual top "S" and the side windows are tinted, they zip out completely. They are still in a box in my closet. I have the 6-disc changer, Sirius, premium sound and subwoofer, and it is a decent system for my 35 year-old ears. I don't need ear splitting bass anymore, the sound quality of the Infiniti speakers is pretty good (excellent for a Jeep). As far as the side airbags go, I passed on them, the majority of crashes are offset frontal or rollovers in SUV, plus I have the 2-door which has a short wheelbase and sits up a little higher than most cars, they will probably hit my side steps first anyway.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome to the board!

1. Airbags, whether front or side, deploy in about 40 milliseconds (0.04 seconds). By the time it inflates and starts the rebound-deflation phase (so you don't slam into a rock-hard bag). the metal on the side or front is still crumpling and creeping towards you at whatever your combined velocities are.

The caveat to this is the following: Since an airbag deploys with a speed of 250 mph, you CANNOT get hit by another car going > 250 mph, or the incoming crushed metal will reach you before the airbag deploys fully. Then again, if you get hit by another car going 250 mph, you'll probably both vaporize!!! Physics is fun!

2. No solution to the subwoofer problem. If you had a 2-dr, you can fold the top onto the sub and tie it down, concealing it. In a 4-dr there's no way. Unless you get one of those Tuffy lockable trunks.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

I have a soft top 2 door X with the 24S package and it didn't come with tinted windows. Although they were tempting to get, I decided against it due to the security concerns that were mentioned in an early post. I am looking at getting the lockable trunk to keep things out of sight, though. However if I need to put something larger in the back and flip the back seats forward, It seems the lockable trunk would be in the way so I am searching for other options.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

I have a Sahara with the Hardtop only. Are there any good aftermarket soft tops out there that are easy to install. I should have gotten the dual top but to late.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

I had a Besttop super top on my old YJ and it was really really easy to install. I hear the sailcloth supertop it the one to get. I am sure someone has one of their newer tops and can point you in the right direction. I bought mine in 98 so I am sure things have changed a little.

Bryan
Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Docwinkle
You will need seat covers for the seats and they are hard to find for the air bags.
Not any more!!!

Check the JCWhitney Jeep catalog number 55B-02, page 8 (this link: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/S...&searchbtn.y=0).
These are the ones I'm considering.

Last edited by paulp575; 02-21-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by paulp575
Not any more!!!

Check the JCWhitney Jeep catalog number 55B-02, page 8 (this link: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/S...&searchbtn.y=0).
These are the ones I'm considering.
i'm considering the wet okole covers

http://wetokole.net/page/WOH/PROD/JP/JEEPWRANG4F

Quick Reply: NEWB: Options/Packages