Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

NEWB: Options/Packages

Old 01-25-2007, 10:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWB: Options/Packages

hi. this is my first post to these forums, though i've been reading/researching here intently for a couple of weeks now and i'm very pleased to have found such a wonderful resource for JK information. i'm almost set to order my first jeep next week (resgreen x w/khaki, 23S, soft top, power, towing, engine heater). Recreationally, i plan on enjoying a variety of outdoors activities with the aid of my jeep - surfing/camping/kayaking/mtn biking and some off-roading. our motivation for wanting one is our upcoming move to oahu (island life + convertible utility = $$).

an option that i'm having difficulty deciding on is the side airbags. from what i've read, they deploy from the front seats. correct me if i'm wrong, but aside from the possibility of a gyroscope somewhere probably in the engine or frame (which would be useful for detecting/protecting in a rollover situation), the side airbags' "impact sensor" (my term) would have to be in the seats themselves. again, correct me if i'm wrong, but if i'm going to be hit from the sides, by the time a sensor in the seat gets hit hard enough to realize that something is amiss, i'm probably already screwed, right? it's not that i'm against airbags, but rather i'm against spending $500 on an option that doesn't make sense to me :yet:, though i should also admit that i'm no airbags expert (or vehicle expert), and am just speculating.

also, is it possible to get tinted windows on the soft top with my order? if i can't and the dealer doesn't have any for swap, i found this: http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=7UN

but i can't figure out exactly how i'd change out the windows without destroying the top. please advise

oh, and i've heard that soft top jeeps on oahu have some serious security issues. not really planning on leaving much in there except a custom stereo with a modest sub and a detachable face. i just don't want my soft top to get slashed up. anyone care to placate my concerns?

thanks ahead for any input. these forums rock.

Last edited by superboo; 01-25-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Welcome! I once met a mediocreboo. Any relation? Two comments.
1. Engine block heater on Oahu? Save your $35.

2. Custom stereo with a modest sub in a soft top is probably a bad idea anywhere. Have you even listened to the stock subwoofer? It is what I would call a modest subwoofer. Or, an excellent stock sub. Give it a listen before you order- the premium sound may be enough for you, and your security issue would be solved.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Changing the windows is as easy as zipping out the old ones and zipping in the new ones.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the "S" package uncludes the "deep tint windows," doesn't it?
Old 01-26-2007, 04:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Side Bags

Side Airbags: I read an article on MSN.com about them, adding them adds 2/5 stars to most car crash ratings... (takes a 3/5 to a 5/5) I dont know about you, but my life is worth (at least) $500 to me...
Old 01-26-2007, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well i'm all for safety. But do the side airbags help rear passengers? anyhoo the soft top does come with tint in the S package. and being on the islands it rains alot so what are the odds of being caught out with the top off? You will need seat covers for the seats and they are hard to find for the air bags.
And for security mayb not get tint, so a crook will see the inside of your jeep. if its tinted they will think there is a possibility of something in there and slash your top even if its empty. you can cut the top and not set off an alarm.
Just my .02
Old 01-26-2007, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

So if my cheap arse buys the C package I am screwed on the tinted windows for the soft top?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

I can confirm that the "S" package on the X (at least my Unlimited X) does come with tinted windows all around (all three windows in both the soft and hard top, plus the two glass windows in the rear doors in my case).

As far as replacement windows, I could have sworn I've seen a set for a little less than $300 (both tinted and non-tinted varieties) but can't find the link at this moment.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
Welcome! I once met a mediocreboo. Any relation? Two comments.
1. Engine block heater on Oahu? Save your $35.

2. Custom stereo with a modest sub in a soft top is probably a bad idea anywhere. Have you even listened to the stock subwoofer? It is what I would call a modest subwoofer. Or, an excellent stock sub. Give it a listen before you order- the premium sound may be enough for you, and your security issue would be solved.
i see your point concerning the engine heater, but i won't be living in hawaii forever, and knowing that i'm not too mechanically inclined just yet, i'd rather just drop the money now rather than bothering a couple of years down the road.

and i'm not a true audiophile, but i felt that the stock sub was feeble at best. pioneer has a new slim profile series of subs in 10 and 12" that only require a box about 6 inches deep. the "368 watts" of power in the premium system is almost a complete lie the way they present it. it would be pretty easy (and cheap) to get my own, higher fidelity tweeters and 6.5's (or even 5.25's). sure i'll pay more for the amp/sub, but i think i'll appreciate it in the long run.

you've got a good point though, i did in fact listen to the premium system in an unlimited; i'm sure the X would help the little guy perform better - i'll go bug my dealer to let me have another look tomorrow. as for the security concerns.................damnit
Old 01-26-2007, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Renegade
I think the "S" package uncludes the "deep tint windows," doesn't it?
i don't think that is true for the non-unlimiteds - at least not according to edmunds.com/jeep.com/2007 brochure/my dealer's lot

Quick Reply: NEWB: Options/Packages