Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New owner- Bad parking brake

Old 08-24-2024, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New owner- Bad parking brake

Hello! Last week I bought my first jeep after decades of it being my dream vehicle. I bought it as is, so I'm going to be working on things as I can.
First off: The parking brake is not fully working. I have to make sure the jeep is in gear, and I have to park on a flat area. I have started researching where to start, and figured I would try here as well.
What is the first thing I should check, and what's the best way to troubleshoot where the problem is.
TIA
Old 08-24-2024, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAR-1

Wrangler "parking brakes" are only there to appease the DOT "Safety Gods". When parking on inclined terrain, I simply put her in "Low / Low" and let the gears / engine holder her still! If you are REALLY on a tenuous angle... put wheel chocks under the tires. This usually results in angle so steep that getting in / out of the jeep is an adventure on its own! (FYI... remember that, (you do have a "MANUAL TRANNY" right), you can start her without pushing in the clutch and rolling backwards!!)

Last edited by SAR-1; 08-24-2024 at 09:41 AM. Reason: changed "and to an" adventure
Old 08-24-2024, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 401 Likes on 376 Posts

Welcome to JK Forum. see you have a 2008 .. Parking brake is inside the rear rotor.. Drum and Hat is the type.. unknown miles .. 1st does it engage at all? If yes to a limited degree, Pull the rotors and see if the brake shoes are worn out. It is a mechanical system on the E brake. 2008 to 2018 are the same system
Check youtube:

Quick Reply: New owner- Bad parking brake