Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New member buy a 2012 this weekend, few questions!!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member buy a 2012 this weekend, few questions!!

Hey guys,

First time poster, new member!

I currently have a 2007 Srt8 Grand Cherokee and we are looking at adding a 2012 Wrangler Sahara (2 door) .

I am dealing on Saturday and the dealer has a few that I was interested in. They are giving close to $5k off sticker price which I think is pretty good plus offered me a good trade in for my 2010 Mazdaspeed3.

Anyways, I have told the dealer my "must haves" are connectivity group, limited slip, 3.73 gears, heated seats, remote start, auto and possibly GPS. I plan on doing a 2.5" lift and running 33" rubber in the near future so I don't care about wheels.

They currently have a Crush model but it doesn't have the limited slip, just the 3.73's.

They also have an Arctic Edition but it has neither.

I am going in Saturday to try and deal but here's my question. Am I crazy for insisting on the limited slip and higher gears? I know they are going to try and push the vehicles on their lot but said if I wasn't happy they could source or order in one that met my criteria.

This will mostly be used as a daily driver, on road, but we do get quite a bit of ice and snow in the winter and I figured that's where the limited slip would be great because I normally turn off TC in crappy conditions.

Also, with 33" rubber, will the 3.73's help that much or will the 3.21's suffice? I am thinking I need the higher gear as the heavy tires will kill power?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would insist on the 3.73s if your going to upgrade tires.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

One thing I learned with buying new cars is get exactly what you want from the factory.

I would recommend the following:

Connectivity Group....you get the bluetooth/uconnect and evic (gotta have that) and the remote USB port. Highly recommend this option!
Nav, I have the 430N

If you're going to run 33 or larger, go with at least the 3.73 gearing. I would not recommend the 3.21.

FYI.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by eric262
One thing I learned with buying new cars is get exactly what you want from the factory.

I would recommend the following:

Connectivity Group....you get the bluetooth/uconnect and evic (gotta have that) and the remote USB port. Highly recommend this option!
Nav, I have the 430N

If you're going to run 33 or larger, go with at least the 3.73 gearing. I would not recommend the 3.21.

FYI.
Thanks for the quick responses! I am going to insist on the 3.73's, limited slip and 430N head unit. If they can't find something I will order exactly what I want so I won't have any regrets! I almost bought the Arctic yesterday assuming certain options were included. I read over the specs and quickly cancelled that, plus it was $2k over the cost of a Sahara with the same options!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get exactly what you want because you are the one going to be driving it for the next x amount of years. Definitely go with the 3:73 and the lsd if you are going to run 33's and do not ever intend to regear or add lockers. Do it right the first time and have something you don't question yourself on every day. Don't ask me how I know
Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
Get exactly what you want because you are the one going to be driving it for the next x amount of years. Definitely go with the 3:73 and the lsd if you are going to run 33's and do not ever intend to regear or add lockers. Do it right the first time and have something you don't question yourself on every day. Don't ask me how I know
+1 on this... get what you want. Only settle if you are getting more options than you intended. Deathboyardee and I have had 3 Jeeps in the last year... Do it once!!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scooby snacks

+1 on this... get what you want. Only settle if you are getting more options than you intended. Deathboyardee and I have had 3 Jeeps in the last year... Do it once!!
Exactly!
Scooby, I bet if your second one hadn't been completely destroyed on the way home you would have still ended up trading again for one with the 4:10's
Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
Exactly!
Scooby, I bet if your second one hadn't been completely destroyed on the way home you would have still ended up trading again for one with the 4:10's
HAHA!! Probably... Glad that guy destroyed my inadequate 3.73s!!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys! First impressions of this forum are awesome, you guys are so helpful!

I spoke with the dealer and I will test drive the one he has but he knows I have no intention of buying it. He figures there is enough stock out there to find exactly what I want at my price point.

This will be my first Wrangler.

I will post up once I get back Saturday and let you guys know how things work out! Seeing as it is the end of the sales quarter, they should work hard for the sale!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Listen to the engine. If you hear a tick, stay away from it. About 50% of 2012's have bad cylinder heads...

Quick Reply: New member buy a 2012 this weekend, few questions!!