Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New JK Owner here, question about driving + 4H

Old 12-19-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New JK Owner here, question about driving + 4H

First off, just wanted to say Hi to everyone... I picked up the JK [Pre-owned, '07, X, 2Dr, Hardtop, Black on Black] last saturday and must admit i'm very happy with it.

Now, i'm from Long Island and it already started to snow and i'm very interested in how this will handle since we're expecting "Blizzard Conditions". But question is, before as I put the truck in 4-High, I tried to make a U-Turn... and as I did it, the truck started to wobble and the steering wheel felt as if it was controlling itself and I was fighting it. Is this normal? And if so, how am I suppose to cope with that as I drive ~15 miles in about 2 hours from now to a reception I have to attend? This is my first Jeep (20 yrs old) and I'm worried about turning now.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

Congrats on the Jeep purchase. U-turns are tricky manuever in 4wd indeed. I too have noticed in my unlimited that sharp turns in 4hi cause the steering wheel to "grab". I've noticed this on many 4x4's so I'm gonna say normal for the most part.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

absolutely normal...disenage 4hi before you break something, oh and read your owners manual if it came with one.
The second your wheels do not have the ability to slip, you'll bind, if there isn't that much snow on the ground don't use 4hi
Old 12-19-2009, 12:46 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unlike vehicles with AWD or part-time 4WD that have slip designed into the system or only engage the front axle when rear slip is sensed, the JK is a full-time 4WD system that depends on the operator to select 4WD when needed. In 4WD both axles on the JK are fully engaged and the only slip available is at the tire/ground connection. In cases where the tires don't have something under them to allow slip you will feel driveline bind-up in the steering wheel especially in turns. The JK transfer case is shift-on-the-fly in high range so until traction control starts to engage indicating the need for 4WD, leave it in 2WD. Even on dirt or snow your rig will be more difficult to turn and take a larger turn radius with the front axle engaged. One thing I miss from my CJ with twin stick on the transfer case is the ability to pop the front axle out even in low range. The first thing I do when I take the CJ on the trail is lock the front hubs (lock-out hubs is another thing I miss) but I don't engage the front axle until I actually need it. Less wear on components and easier maneuvering.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by j0ker
First off, just wanted to say Hi to everyone... I picked up the JK [Pre-owned, '07, X, 2Dr, Hardtop, Black on Black] last saturday and must admit i'm very happy with it.

Now, i'm from Long Island and it already started to snow and i'm very interested in how this will handle since we're expecting "Blizzard Conditions". But question is, before as I put the truck in 4-High, I tried to make a U-Turn... and as I did it, the truck started to wobble and the steering wheel felt as if it was controlling itself and I was fighting it. Is this normal? And if so, how am I suppose to cope with that as I drive ~15 miles in about 2 hours from now to a reception I have to attend? This is my first Jeep (20 yrs old) and I'm worried about turning now.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
So, does this mean he made the U-Turn in 4hi, or before he put it in 4hi?
Just want to be clear on that.
The symptoms are certainly normal for 4hi. But if he was in 2hi, he could have a seized u-joint.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-19-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Junkie

I'm in Long Island. There isn't enough snow on the ground to be in 4HI, yet. Before you do a u-turn, disengage 4WD and go back into 2HI.

IMO, drive in 2HI. Once you see you are starting to break traction, go into 4HI. The TCS on these things are retarded. I haven't engaged 4HI since I bought the JK 2 years ago on the street in the snow. TCS kicks in and straightens you out when there's wheelspin.

Visit the Long Island thread on the East Coast section. Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-19-2009, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the replies guys. I read it all and most of the answers cleared up everything I had wondered about. and 'ronjenx', when I said "before" i meant as in - before, like 20 minutes before I actually posted this thread. I had the JK in 4H as I was making the U-Turn. And "Suffolk JK", what do you think about the snow now? I live in Nassau and there's already close to a foot of snow... I just got back from have some fun in open fields and parking lots
Old 12-20-2009, 03:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I'd like to add a little more clarification: In an AWD vehicle, there is a differential between the front and rear axles. It functions similarly to the differentials on each axle, insuring that when all wheels are not turning at the same rate, that there is no damage to the drivetrain. If you stop and think about a turn on pavement without any slippage (such as no snow or ice), you'll realize that when you make a turn each tire must travel a slightly different distance, which means they are not turning at the same rate. Therefore, during those times without slippage, you must not engage 4WD or you risk damage--the complaining you heard from the drivetrain and the steering wheels was a warning that things were binding. Without this center differential, the front and rear axles operate as if locked, which can be an advantage when really off-roading.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'd like to add a little more clarification: In an AWD vehicle, there is a differential between the front and rear axles. It functions similarly to the differentials on each axle, insuring that when all wheels are not turning at the same rate, that there is no damage to the drivetrain. If you stop and think about a turn on pavement without any slippage (such as no snow or ice), you'll realize that when you make a turn each tire must travel a slightly different distance, which means they are not turning at the same rate. Therefore, during those times without slippage, you must not engage 4WD or you risk damage--the complaining you heard from the drivetrain and the steering wheels was a warning that things were binding. Without this center differential, the front and rear axles operate as if locked, which can be an advantage when really off-roading.
perfect!
I think too many people are jumping into these JK's without the slightest clue on the operation of a REAL 4wd system, you know...kinda like an offroad vehicle should have
Old 12-21-2009, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is it a good idea to engage 4WD every so often, even if it is not needed? Say once a month or so? Thinking that doing so will circulate the fluids and keep all the components lubricated. Does not say to do this in owners manual, but some 4WD adventures are several months apart.

Quick Reply: New JK Owner here, question about driving + 4H