Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New jeep purchase

Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New jeep purchase

Hi guys, this is my first post but I have been following the forums for about a month now. I'm trying to pick my first Jeep and I have a tough choice ahead of me. For the same price, I can purchase a 2008 Rubicon with about 30,000 miles. Or I can purchase a brand new 2011 tango mango (my favorite color) sports S package. I don't do a lot of wheeling (at least not yet) and this will mostly be a beach going Jeep. I am really stuck on this decision and thought what better place to ask than here. Thanks very much for the responses guys.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Abritinboston
Hi guys, this is my first post but I have been following the forums for about a month now. I'm trying to pick my first Jeep and I have a tough choice ahead of me. For the same price, I can purchase a 2008 Rubicon with about 30,000 miles. Or I can purchase a brand new 2011 tango mango (my favorite color) sports S package. I don't do a lot of wheeling (at least not yet) and this will mostly be a beach going Jeep. I am really stuck on this decision and thought what better place to ask than here. Thanks very much for the responses guys.
I'm kind of impulsive, but if you are stoked about the 2011 Mango, I'd buy it new. Used Jeeps are in a different category for me then a normal car purchase. Especially if you're planning on having this as your toy for a long time, I like to raise mine from birth. You could probably have a full inspection done and be good to go, but with Wranglers, I go new. Personal preference....I've had issues on both used Jeeps I've purchased.

As far as the Rubi and your offroad plans, if you don't need the transfer case and lockers, etc, you can just put some money towards a lift, wheels, tires, bikini top for the beach, and address lockers, etc down the road if you get into wheeling.

Good Luck, and Welcome
Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Yup go with the new 2011 Mango Tango . And build it your way.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys, I'm leaning toward the new one. Any other thoughts to the contrary?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Mango Tango is definitely what i would go with!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:38 PM
JK Freak

Go with 2011 mango tango, even though I hate that color. The 2011 is more refined inside, has features that should have come standard, is easier to see out of, better hard and soft top, etc.

But the real issue is that the 2008 will have 6,000 miles of warranty left. The 2011 will have 100,000k miles of transferable warranty left. That is huge.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:58 PM
JK Newbie

If I could go back and re-order mine here's what I'd do. I'd forget about adding A/C, Power group and upgraded stereo system. A/C will hardly if ever get used. Power windows just aren't necessary (the wife wanted them) and the upgraded stereo system just ain't that good...get your own system put in.

I'd just start with a base Sport model and upgrade to the 32" tire and wheel package for starters. Add anything else you might like. We added the black appearance group, tow package (for the upgraded gears and heavy duty suspension) and that's about it.

Good luck with your purchase...and also don't forget that the 2012's are coming out soon and they'll have the pentastar engine...so something else to think about.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Danielson99
If I could go back and re-order mine here's what I'd do. I'd forget about adding A/C, Power group and upgraded stereo system. A/C will hardly if ever get used. Power windows just aren't necessary (the wife wanted them) and the upgraded stereo system just ain't that good...get your own system put in.

I'd just start with a base Sport model and upgrade to the 32" tire and wheel package for starters. Add anything else you might like. We added the black appearance group, tow package (for the upgraded gears and heavy duty suspension) and that's about it.

Good luck with your purchase...and also don't forget that the 2012's are coming out soon and they'll have the pentastar engine...so something else to think about.
You are in BC though. In MA he is going to need the AC in the summer, and in the winter so that the defroster has enough dry air to clear the windshield. The AC gets used every time it is on defrost. The guys without AC in humid climates have had hell trying to defog.

Tow package for $285 or whatever it is should be a no brainer, even if you never plan to tow. It brings the wires back, and you will have the tow control anti sway.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got my Mango Rubicon in January new. Still have a 2000 TJ that was supposed to be for my son but he doesn't like it.

At first didn't really want the nav system as I have a GPS, but I absolutely love the whole entertainment system. I have used the 4wd system a couple of times here in Houston but it's mainly for our Summers in CO.

Get what you want and can afford. Upgrades can come as you either want them or discover you need them. I wanted lockers and disconnects for Colorado, but will probably never use them here.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Get the new one, 2011 interior is pretty sweet (i know some dislike it) and for the same price you have 30k less miles on it. As you said you dont wheel much so the stock jeep will be fine for once and awhile.

Quick Reply: New jeep purchase