Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Jeep Buyer help

Old 12-28-2007, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
No concerns, other than you might end up removing or replacing parts you payed extra to have put on in the first place by opting for the Rubi.
I gotcha... Sounds like I am gonna go with a loaded X or a Sahara....Thanks! Ok one last question for you guys....I was reading that there is a suspension lift? and then a Body lift? If I upgrade tire size do I need to have one or the other? or both? And how much lift is needed for things like river or stream crossings etc (basically everything but serious rock crawlin') 1"..... 2"?
Old 12-28-2007, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

The worst I have had to cross was a river that was up to my mid chest in eastern Tenn. I am 6'1" sooo that would be around 4-4.5 feet of water? I doubt that would be over the fenders like what you have gone through.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ClimberPB1983
The worst I have had to cross was a river that was up to my mid chest in eastern Tenn. I am 6'1" sooo that would be around 4-4.5 feet of water? I doubt that would be over the fenders like what you have gone through.
I ain't driving my Jeep through 4-4.5ft of water......Thats slickwills job
Old 12-28-2007, 12:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ClimberPB1983
And why would I want to NOT get the Rubi if I wanted to modify it later? Just to save the $$$? (which is always a good thing) or are there structural reasons?
Perhaps if you were going to go with Air lockers, since the rubi has electronic lockers. Or if you were going to replace the axles later since the rubi has 2 D44 axles.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

I'll bet an X will do exactly what you need. I spend lots of time in the wilderness hiking and backpacking and paddling, and had exactly the same motivation as you. I have an X. Of course, be forewarned: Having done that, I've gotten it out wheeling at Moab and Sedona and Disney and now I'm hooked--rock rails, new front bumper, new winch, etc. But, truth is, even if I'd bought a Rubi, all of those would have still been necessary. Get the X: It's an extremely capable vehicle.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

I think a lot of people are in your shoes in making a buying decision. I looked at it like this (or rationalized it this way) - If money wasn't an issue, I would have gotten a Rubicon. I sense some get an X because they immediately plan to upgrade various components including those that come standard on a Rubicon. But out of the box the Rubicon is really sweet and you have the warranty, etc.

For me, I had to decide how much to spend and I wanted to purchase quickly (at the time it seemed like ordering took forever). The Rubicon was over my budget and I preferred the black fenders when it came to the X vs Sahara (as others said, there are a couple items like YES fabric you couldn't get - I have an 07). So I got an X with the power options, 17" wheels, dual top option, etc.

Do I wish I had a Rubicon? Sure, it would be nice and there have been times when I say to myself I wish I had the lower gears, disconnects, tires, etc. But I don't for a minute regret my purchase decision because a) it was at the limit of what I had to spend, b) the X is really suitable for the very limited wheeling (forest fire roads and light trails) and recreation I do (boating, fishing, shooting) and c) I am convinced by others on this forum that once modified the X can be a real nice rock crawler.

For what I see myself doing, I do plan to add after market items like sway bar disconnects, skid plates, and Rubicon standard tires when I have to change the current ones. I think that will be a nice setup for what I plan to do with the Jeep. Of course, like everyone else, you will quickly generate a wish list of items you really don't need but would love to buy.

I can't imagine you will regret your decision no matter which way you go. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2007, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

My girlfriend ( a loonnng time jeep lover) Said she would rather fork out the money for the Rubi and then forget the after market stuff because "stock materials on that baby rock....why would you ever want anything different unless something breaks or needs replaced?" I do see her point but the bug keeps biting me to say that when I do purchase a jeep I kinda know i will upgrade it in some way
Old 12-29-2007, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Your girlfriend WANTS you to buy the Rubicon? You have already won the battle that most of us will never win...
Old 12-29-2007, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I know....she rocks in soooooo many ways.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't want a Rubi. I dont' do rock crawling, just some more mild offroading and towing a 4wheeler trailer. I'll never use the electronic sway disconnect and to me its more to go wrong. The lockers are nice but again I'll probably never use them and more to go wrong. The 4.10s are nice for offroading and towing, but the 3.73 is actually better gearing for me since I commute and I only plan on having 32" tires. That way my highway rpms are a little lower for better mpg. So, for me the rubi would have been a waste of money and more to go wrong.

Quick Reply: New Jeep Buyer help