Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Jeep Buyer help

Old 12-28-2007, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jeep Buyer help

I am getting ready to buy a wrangler this summer after I graduate PT school. I have been doing a lot of research on them and also have test drove a 4-door sahara. However, I am not truck savvy at all. SO I thought I would ask the opinion of the people on here of which Trim/style to get. I have a friend who says you should always get a Rubi no matter what...but here are some of my "recreational activities" I will be using my Jeep for:

I am a climber primarly and I do a lot of back country climbing which needs a 4x4 in order to access the areas. However, I dont foresee my self doing any rock crawling. Although I have had to cross some streams and once a river in my 4 Runner (my current vehicle). I guess what I am asking is...If I dont do major rock crawling but still want to do off roading is it worth getting a rubicon? Can you really tell the difference in a Sahara?

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh this will be my first Jeep I have ever bought
Old 12-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are endless threads on the X vs. Sahara vs. Rubicon pluses/minuses debates.

The Rubicon IMHO is the better straight from the factory for serious offroad/rock crawling.

The Sahara is an upgraded X with a few more creature comforts (some mechanical) straight from the factory.

The X is a no frills Jeep that is fully capable of doing anything you mentioned.

beyond those, it will be largely even MORE opinion based.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

You already made the most important decision...choosing a JEEP!

It sounds like you wouldn't need a Rubicon unless money is not a factor.

Between and X and Sahara they are both equally capable offroad and it basically comes down to look. If you want power windows and upgraded stereo the Sahara is probably a better choice since these are standard and optional on X. The Sahara will probably have better resale value in future although you pay more up front too
Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. Yeah I have been watching endless vids of the rubi and am constantly amazed. However, I just thought to myself...is it really worth the extra 3000 for A the look which I love...B: a discoennting stab bar that I honestly prob wont use. I will have to use it for my day to day commute to work so some creature comforts are nice.

are the fenders on the sahara easily changable ? I am like you guys and like the black fenders on the diff painted body.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes you can buy replacement black fenders or buy someone's black fenders on this site as they tend to want to upgrade them w/ bigger tires.

I have a Sahara and love the power windows and got myGig for my drives to work and up to the mountains.

I agree w/ HappyCurmudgeon and would only like to ask that if you think you won't be modifying your Jeep then a Rubicon would make sure you have no worries getting to your climbing spots. If you think you might mod your jeep eventually then go w/ a X or Sahara.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N2rock
Just to avoid confusion- power windows are available option on the X I'm not sure if MyGig is available as an option or not- the dealer told me they could install it if I really wanted it but it wasn't worth the add'l $2000 they wanted to hit me for
I paid $1200 for it. I wouldn't have it installed for $2k either.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Eternal ***erator

I have a 2dr Sahara and I love it. I went through the same internal debate as you (and most others) are.

What is best for me? I wanted the Yes seats for my muddy Lab. No power windows or locks ~ dont like 'em. Didnt give a rats arse about the stereo, but it was in there. could care less about my giggles (electronic gizmo's dont impress me) Liked the painted flares, but coulda had black also. Didnt care about the e-disco one whit-nice, but for me unnescesary. The lower crawl ratio of the Rubi wasnt something i would benefit from use much. and the sahara was a bunch cheaper than the Rubi, which allowed me to add some things i did want that werent on any of the trim levels.

When i went to the dealer, they had the one i have now, It had the 4:10 gears & D44 on the rear with the Auto for the spousal unit. Soft top only, 17's from the factory (color me weird, i like the factory rims) and the price was right, with what they gave me on my old truck. And it was silver, which is what i wanted...
If i could have afforded the Rubi, i probably woulda bought it, but a lot of that would have just some weird TimTaylorish desire for more power (even though for me i certainly wouldnt scratch a small fraction of it's capabilities)
Old 12-28-2007, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help....as I have been looking around this site so many other questions have come to mind!

I noticed another thread talking about the difference supension systems...I looked at Jeep's website and it said the X has normal duty shocks, sahara heavy duty gas shocks, and rubi has the performance shocks... can you really tell a difference in these suspension systems?

And why would I want to NOT get the Rubi if I wanted to modify it later? Just to save the $$$? (which is always a good thing) or are there structural reasons?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by ClimberPB1983
Thanks for all the help....as I have been looking around this site so many other questions have come to mind!

I noticed another thread talking about the difference supension systems...I looked at Jeep's website and it said the X has normal duty shocks, sahara heavy duty gas shocks, and rubi has the performance shocks... can you really tell a difference in these suspension systems?

And why would I want to NOT get the Rubi if I wanted to modify it later? Just to save the $$$? (which is always a good thing) or are there structural reasons?

No concerns, other than you might end up removing or replacing parts you payed extra to have put on in the first place by opting for the Rubi.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My last 2 Jeeps were not the Rubicon model-but they did have lifts & tires.
Though they were not the new JK - I found them very capable, steadfast and reliable in some really crazy 4 wheeling conditions.

Quick Reply: New Jeep Buyer help