Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New guy buying a new Jeep

Old 12-28-2007, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can remove the doors even if you have power windows/locks. In fact the procedure is exactley the same (they both have wiring harnesses..)

You can also get the dual top group, if you think you might want both eventually it's the most cost effective way to go.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by necros
thanks for the info guys
I'm thinking the hard top will be the way to go. Or, isn't it possible to order hard or soft tops from other companies after the fact? Would it be cheaper to get a soft top but see if there's a 3rd party that makes a better hard top?
You can order both hard tops and soft tops from 3rd parties easily. I prefer Best Top brand, and in fact they are the manufacture for the factory tops. If you really think you might want both there is a dual-top package the dealer can sell you where you Jeep will include both tops (obviously not on at the same time) for a cheaper price than buying them individually.

Also, if I go with the power windows, the doors will no longer be removable, right? That's another option that I think might be nice if the situation presented itself, but I doubt I'd really use often...
Regardless of which doors you buy they are all removable.

One other question.. for that lifetime powertrain warranty.. is it limited to things that don't normally break, or is it like if the transmission explodes at 300k miles, will they replace the whole thing for free? And if I start modifying stuff will it void everything?
The lifetime warranty applies to the entire powertrain provided you do not "abuse" it. Abuse being undefined

Supposedly if the tranny did die after 300K they would replace it for free as the warranty does not have a deductible of any kind. I would imagine though that they would start requisting that you show proof that you have performed the required service on your vehicle, so as for me I am keeping every receipt for all my service work.

As for modding voiding you warranty, that is a can of worms

Provided the modification did not directly lead to the failure you are trying to claim under warranty they cannot do anything. However, most dealerships would probably try. Just this week I had a Jeep dealership tell me that if I did not have them install a trailer hitch that it would void my lifetime powertrain warranty. If you search around the forum you can find several great threads that really get in depth about what we Jeepers think can and cannot be done and still maintain our warranties.

Hope all that helps.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK thanks. The only real mods I think I may add one day is a new bumper and maybe some extra lights. If I go with a Sahara I may look into getting plastic wheel wells instead of the colored ones it will have. I saw one jeep that had even beefier looking plastic wheel wells that had a really cool bolted on look all around it. I like the 2 tone thing the plastic parts gives, that's what sold me on the Element when everyone I talked to hated it

But the #1 reason the Jeep (any jeep for that matter) is at the top of my list is because of that lifetime warranty, and out of all the Chrysler stuff it's really just the Jeeps that I like. I had a dodge shadow a while back that had a transmission blow out 3000 miles after the warranty expired and the dealer wouldn't bend at all. I was too poor to buy something new then so I just had to shell out the cash to get it fixed. When I finally did sell that car about 10k miles later, it kinda felt like the transmission was gonna go again. It used to hesitate a lot when I'd hit the gas pedal and that lead up to the first blow out, and it started doing it again.

So yeah, whatever I add to it, I don't want to void that warranty. Obviously the bumper area wouldn't be covered anymore, but if they try to void a powertrain warranty because of that, then I'd keep the plain ole original bumper.

It's such a scam.. just like insurance, they act like they're your best friend till you need em, then they find every way possible leave you with the check.

Anyway, back on topic, I think I would probably go with the dual top option then. I have a garage so storage won't be a big deal, I could maybe do the hard top in the winter and the soft in the summer. I won't get a chance to test drive with the top down though, too cold :(

I think I would probably end up getting the myGig radio though. One thing I need is my car tunes, so I'd want the GPS, Sirrus and MP3. Carrying my iPod around and always plugging it in and having the battery die on me on long trips is always a problem. I guess I would just have to convert everything to real MP3s. I read somewhere that Apple is working with VW to put out a iTunes based car stereo, but who knows if/when that will ever be... Before I buy though I will probably check out some car audio places for some other ideas just in case.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

hmm, did some playing around on the website.. a loaded X with all the goodies I'd want comes in at $31,700 .. A Sahara with everything I want is $32,800.. seems like I'll get more bang for my buck with the Sahara.. better tires.. better sound system.. better fabric for the seats.. so yeah I think Sahara is gonna be the one.

Now I just need to find me the time for a good test drive...
Old 12-28-2007, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

oh, one more thing.... lets say I go with that Sahara for 32000 or so. How much can I really expect to pay? I know each dealer will be different and I will have to haggle a little.. but just generally speaking?

I don't plan to lease or finance, just gonna buy it all with cash right there (well, a check, but still). Never did that before.. do dealers favor that sort of thing and give you a better deal, or do they want you to finance so they can make money off your interest? This will actually be my first time buying a car myself. Before, my credit was always so bad that every car I owned was purchased in mom's name and I just made the payments I think I got a pretty good deal for my Element, but it was a 5 year lease.

I plan to hit a couple of dealerships in the area, but some folks on a local jeep offroad club board recommended a certain guy so I may go visit him. But that dealership is a good hour or more away.

I'm also going to have my Element to trade in, I'm expecting 9-10k at least according to the KBB trade in value.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

You shouldn't have to pay more than invoice. I did the same thing you're doing: trading in a car and paying cash for the difference -- got my 08 Rubi last month at invoice. Figure out what you're willing to pay BEFORE you start talking to the dealers. I told the dealer that I wanted to give them my car and a check for $12K for the Rubi. They'll always want you to pay more -- capitalism is a great thing! Oh, and don't be desperate! In the end, the check I wrote was $12,100. That was fair enough for me -- I didn't want the Rubi to get away!
Old 12-30-2007, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default Old Timer

I am too much an old timer that will not drive a jeep with 4 doors.

I had a cj-7 with hard top (easy to remove)

I have a new Wrangler X with 2 doors.
I am sick of seeing most cars from Dodge with the word JEEP on them.

4 wheel drive does not make a JEEP.

It will take a while I guess to like the 4 door Jeeps.
But I am traditonal when it comes to Jeeps
Old 12-30-2007, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once you buy it you wont be able to stop....its an addiction, you'll be moddin everyday,and lovin it. Just buy it....

Quick Reply: New guy buying a new Jeep