Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New guy buying a new Jeep

Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy buying a new Jeep

Hi folks

I'm seriously considering a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited as my next vehicle. I plan to buy around the end of Feb or early March. Currently I have a 2003 Honda Element (Tonka) and before that I had a 2000 Pathfinder. I'm looking for something more rugged. I don't expect to be climbing any mountains or rock formations with it, but I would like some off road features as I go camping on occasion and may have the need to drive on a beach to get to that perfect fishing spot some time. Anyway, I'm doing my homework now and I have a bunch of questions, and I was told this was the place to find some answers

I read that the Rubicon version is more for the hardcore offroad stuff, right? Is that the only real reason to get that over a Sahara? Like I said I don't plan to do any Jeep rock climbing, but who knows where my Jeep may take me in the future... but I don't know if I want to spend the extra cash right now. This will be my primary vehicle and 99.9% of the time I'll be driving on normal roads.

How easy is it to modify, cosmetically? I don't have a lot of experience working on cars at all and I'm too lazy to be bothered with changing my oil myself or anything like that. But I do like the looks of some of the other bumpers and extra lights. Is that something I could do myself, or will I need to have a mechanic friend to help me? I guess if I can find a semi local place that sells those things (in SE PA?), I could have them instal it.. but would the prices be reasonable?

On that note, the factory I really want is a GPS and Sirrus radio. I want the built-in radio kind, not the extra attachment kind. Is the one that Jeep carries any good, and the MyGIG radio thing? I currently have an iPod that I connect to my car stereo but I'm thinking half the songs I downloaded won't work on their MP3 system since it's made for Apple stuff... Would I be better off getting all of that installed with my new Jeep, or should I just get the basic radio and buy something from a 3rd party? The Jeep upgrade is pretty pricey so I'm just wondering if there's something better out there from say Best Buy that I could get for a similar or cheaper price...?

Hard top or soft? I love the look with the top off, but I worry I might miss my power windows and rear defroster. Does the soft top make it a lot colder in the winter? Is the hard top actually removable in any way? I would probably only be having the top down for parts of the spring and fall, in the summer I can't drive anywhere without the AC on So right now I'm leaning more toward hard top.

I still have yet to test drive one, but I hope to soon. I'd obviously like to keep the price down. I'd say around the 30K mark if possible, if I were to really splurge and go for the rubicon I could stretch the budge to maybe $34.. but that's when all is said and done (gps/radio & maybe a different bumper). Am I better off with just a standard model or sahara and upgrading that as I'll mostly be doing street driving? Is it a good idea to get the Rubicon if there's a chance that I may do some more advanced off road stuff some day, even if it's only once or twice? like will I be glad I did, or would I really just get the same experience/performance out of a Sahara?

Sorry so long, was a little bored at work Anyway, just wondering if anyone can give me some ideas or advice

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information here.

I have a Sahara Unlimited.

One thing that is unique to the JK's is that there is a huge inventory of after-market parts available. There is enough competition among these suppliers that you can get some pretty good deals if you shop around a little bit. I live in Houston TX, and there is at lease three 4x4 and truck accessory shops within easy driving that can both supply and install anything. The JK is not a hugely complex vehicle, most modifications that people do they quite often do it themselves. Things like lifts I would likely leave to a 4x4 shop.

The Rubicon comes standard with just about everything you would need for some hard core off-roading. Alot of people buy the X with the intention of modifying it, when they are done it is as capable as a Rubicon but more personalized. The next time I buy a JK I'm going to go this route.

As for the MyGig I can't say as I do not have one. I would think that getting the factory GPS and stereo would be a better option than a 3rd party vendor for fit and security.

The hard top is removable. It also is partially removeable, you can just remove the front of it, or just remove the back of it. I have hard top oinly.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a JK, say goodbye to your gas mileage.

as long as its a 4x4 you cant go wrong on the beach.

get mygig.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by necros
Hi folks

I'm seriously considering a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited as my next vehicle. I plan to buy around the end of Feb or early March. Currently I have a 2003 Honda Element (Tonka) and before that I had a 2000 Pathfinder. I'm looking for something more rugged. I don't expect to be climbing any mountains or rock formations with it, but I would like some off road features as I go camping on occasion and may have the need to drive on a beach to get to that perfect fishing spot some time. Anyway, I'm doing my homework now and I have a bunch of questions, and I was told this was the place to find some answers

I read that the Rubicon version is more for the hardcore offroad stuff, right? Is that the only real reason to get that over a Sahara? Like I said I don't plan to do any Jeep rock climbing, but who knows where my Jeep may take me in the future... but I don't know if I want to spend the extra cash right now. This will be my primary vehicle and 99.9% of the time I'll be driving on normal roads.
You are correct, the X or Sahara should be just fine for your purposes.
How easy is it to modify, cosmetically? I don't have a lot of experience working on cars at all and I'm too lazy to be bothered with changing my oil myself or anything like that. But I do like the looks of some of the other bumpers and extra lights. Is that something I could do myself, or will I need to have a mechanic friend to help me? I guess if I can find a semi local place that sells those things (in SE PA?), I could have them instal it.. but would the prices be reasonable?
It's pretty easy for most stuff - most stuff is bolt on, but some things do require drilling.
On that note, the factory I really want is a GPS and Sirrus radio. I want the built-in radio kind, not the extra attachment kind. Is the one that Jeep carries any good, and the MyGIG radio thing? I currently have an iPod that I connect to my car stereo but I'm thinking half the songs I downloaded won't work on their MP3 system since it's made for Apple stuff... Would I be better off getting all of that installed with my new Jeep, or should I just get the basic radio and buy something from a 3rd party? The Jeep upgrade is pretty pricey so I'm just wondering if there's something better out there from say Best Buy that I could get for a similar or cheaper price...?
I prefer 3rd party myself, has a lot more functionality - but for no muss no fuss the MyGig is a good option. You are correct that your iTunes store purchases will not work, at least not without conversion.

Hard top or soft? I love the look with the top off, but I worry I might miss my power windows and rear defroster. Does the soft top make it a lot colder in the winter? Is the hard top actually removable in any way? I would probably only be having the top down for parts of the spring and fall, in the summer I can't drive anywhere without the AC on So right now I'm leaning more toward hard top.
Both..you'll regret not getting the other.
I still have yet to test drive one, but I hope to soon. I'd obviously like to keep the price down. I'd say around the 30K mark if possible, if I were to really splurge and go for the rubicon I could stretch the budge to maybe $34.. but that's when all is said and done (gps/radio & maybe a different bumper). Am I better off with just a standard model or sahara and upgrading that as I'll mostly be doing street driving? Is it a good idea to get the Rubicon if there's a chance that I may do some more advanced off road stuff some day, even if it's only once or twice? like will I be glad I did, or would I really just get the same experience/performance out of a Sahara?

Sorry so long, was a little bored at work Anyway, just wondering if anyone can give me some ideas or advice

Thanks!
Hope that helps!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've taken my Sahara Unlimited out on medium trails bone stock and it is more than capable! Any of these come with full doors and glass windows whether soft or hard top. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Yes the softop is colder in the winter but the JK has an excellent heater and it wont be cold for long. Also its quieter than softops in the past. In Summer, it easy to drop or put up the softop. The hardtop is a 3 piece and does equally well in the summer unless you remove the back. You need storage area when pulled off and its not an easy task to put on and off. It is quieter and better insulation.
There have been some issues with the MyGIG but dealers have replaced them and no new issues. My thoughts on the GPS is get a Garmin that travels. You can have mounts in any vehicle and if you hike then it can also become a handheld.
The Sahara comes with 18" rims and 32" tires. People upgrade tires to 33's (for an extra 1/2" clearance?). Usually they want a more aggressive tire which gives you more road noise and less tire life. The bad thing about the 18's is there is a limited amount of tires that fit the rim.
All in all the Sahara would be the route for you if you are spending 99% of the time on the road. Good luck in your decision. BTW, what color are you considering? hopefully not anti-theft green!!!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds to me like you might be content with a Sahara Unlimited with hardtop only. You can plug your Ipod into the "aux" input of the stock radio (and that stock radio with its subwoofer & integrated Sirius is pretty good IMHO). Unless you want a navigation unit, the MyGig would probably be overkill for you.

To save some cash you might consider the "X" and add only the options you want. The Rubi would probably be overkill for you and your needs. I got a Rubi because I wanted it, not because I needed it.

What other vehicles are you shopping? Let us know what you think of the Jeep after test driving one -- the good and the bad. Try to test drive a manual trans and an auto trans so you can compare the two. Have fun out there!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:42 PM
JK Junkie

No matter what you decide you are going to love it. Jeeps are all great, and with the aftermarket the way it is you can customize an X, Sahara, or Rubicon any which way you desire.

Before my current Jeep (a '08 Unlimited X) I owned a 1987 YJ so I can tell you Jeeps have come a long way in the two decades between those two vehicles. My YJ had a hard top, and my JK has a soft top. So I have tried both routes and I personally prefer the freedom of the soft top. Both hard and soft tops will stay plenty warm in the winter... I think Jeeps have their heater routed straight from the engine because that heater can get HOT.

When you go to test drive a Jeep if the weather permits have the dealer lower the soft top before you go for a spin... its a blast.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by necros
Hi folks
I love the look with the top off, but I worry I might miss my power windows and rear defroster.
I overlooked that part entirely...

I will answer the last part of that first... the soft top does not have a rear window defroster... so you are correct it lacks that features.

But on the issue of power windows, that brings up a whole other question:

Full doors or half doors?

You see the power windows are a feature of the doors not the top. My soft top equipped Jeep has full doors, so I could have gotten the power windows but I did not feel that it was worth it to me.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the info guys

Looks like Sahara may be the one for me. I may look into the loaded X as well. The reason I considered a Rubicon is really "just because it's the biggest". Rarely if ever would I need the hardcore offroad stuff it can do, but at the same time I kinda wonder if I may get into it and then will wish I did get the Rubicon after all?

The color I'm thinking of for the Rubicon actually is probably the yellow green, I like the look with the black sides around the wheels and the writing on the hood. For a Sahara though I'm thinking probably silver. Or maybe dark green and I'll paint a white star on the hood and doors and make it an army jeep

I'm thinking the hard top will be the way to go. Or, isn't it possible to order hard or soft tops from other companies after the fact? Would it be cheaper to get a soft top but see if there's a 3rd party that makes a better hard top? Maybe one that's easier to remove too? Also, if I go with the power windows, the doors will no longer be removable, right? That's another option that I think might be nice if the situation presented itself, but I doubt I'd really use often...

Also I'm definately going to go with automatic. I don't know how to drive stick and I'm too lazy and old and stubbron to change.

As far as other vehicles I'm thinking of .. there's the Toyota FJ Cruiser, but the white roof kind of bothers me for some reason, but the silver looks good. I kinda like the new Ford Edge but I don't want something that will make me feel like I'm stuck in a soccer mom's car. I test drove an Xtera before and didn't care for it, for some reason it felt like the pedals were too far away and the steering wheel was too close, and I just felt cramped (I'm a big fella too). Basically I'm after a good and rugged looking "SUV" for in and around $30k. I'm in the middle of fixing up my house to sell, so I haven't had the time to get out for a test drive for anything lately, but I hope to get out to a dealership soon.

One other question.. for that lifetime powertrain warranty.. is it limited to things that don't normally break, or is it like if the transmission explodes at 300k miles, will they replace the whole thing for free? And if I start modifying stuff will it void everything?
Old 12-28-2007, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I like the look of the half doors with the top down... but I really don't think I'd be into the zipper windows and all that. So I think no matter what I'd end up getting full doors.

Quick Reply: New guy buying a new Jeep