Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Engine Swap Option?

Old 11-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Da20captain

Here's how I did it. Spreadsheet about to the nuts and bolts. I did not use a crate motor. I could never have done it at those prices. Smart patient shopping is your friend if you are on a budget.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...dsheet-332076/
Thanks, the same could be said about an LS swap. Bottom line as I stated, if you want a turn key install, the LS is a more economical option than the HEMI turn keys. Therefore if I piece meal a LS like you did your HEMI, I could get the LS for less. On top of that you can get an LS4 aluminum block, therefore saving on weight over a HEMI. I love HEMI's but when doing a price/value comparison, the LS swap options come out on top in performance/price. On top of that....who wouldn't want the ability to drop a Corvette ZR1 motor into their Jeep?

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-09-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Thanks, the same could be said about an LS swap. Bottom line as I stated, if you want a turn key install, the LS is a more economical option than the HEMI turn keys. Therefore if I piece meal a LS like you did your HEMI, I could get the LS for less. On top of that you can get an LS4 aluminum block, therefore saving on weight over a HEMI. I love HEMI's but when doing a price/value comparison, the LS swap options come out on top in performance/price. On top of that....who wouldn't want the ability to drop a Corvette ZR1 motor into their Jeep?
i would go LS over a hemi anyday and one of these days when they come up with a swap that uses a manual transmission i probably will.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I say V8 whatever you do. I see the benefits of an LS. Aftermarket support is awesome. But the 100 -150 pounds ain't gonna steal much HP. If you are really into the lighten up the tank craze it may be of some importance. I can tell you the truck Hemi in JKU will light the 37's up. The one thing I am envious of is the fuel economy. I get the same as I did on the 3.8, 12.5. I considered the LS myself but at the time it was not nearly as plug and play as it may be now. I read a couple places an LS swap could be done cheaper but I don't see how when the kit is $5-6k. Another consideration for me was that I am not an experienced mechanic so troubleshooting capabilities would be limited. Hemi was plug and play. Fired up first time no codes. Jeep Speed Shop does both LS and Hemi, it appears his prices have gone up. Check with RPM and see what they can hook you up with.

Keep us posted with the cost comparisons. I researched for months.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the Cummins swap at the Overland East Expo. They (Cummins) told me to what till SEMA on the JK stuff. I still have not seen anything on the JK 2.8L swap yet. And I sure would love to do it to my 2016. As I own a Diesel/off-road shop, and it would make a nice conversation piece!
Old 11-10-2016, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

I say V8 whatever you do.
That's where I'm currently at. V8 with the least cost and technical problems to do it be it Hemi or LS. It seems they've come a long way on the LS swap options to make them plug and play since your HEMI swap like you mentioned. So that's where I'm currently at with all this.

I don't quite get the I-4 Diesel from the original post. I know people loved the I-4 engine on older Wranglers, so maybe there's a market. Probably all the TJ owner's who originally criticized the JK for it's "mini van" engine. Now they can drop their TJ engines into a JK and be happy?

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-10-2016 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you planning this as a DIY swap?
Old 11-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Are you planning this as a DIY swap?
I won't be doing the install myself if that's what you mean.

Quick Reply: New Engine Swap Option?