Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New breaks at 26000??

Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
noise is coming from right reat. no ball joints there. and when I say turning right or left, I mean the SLIGHTEST change in steering input as I drive down the highway and stay within my lane, that's how slight. I'm home now and goign to pull the rotors now. I have a feeling the parking brake pads have dirt in them again/still. I may swap rotors right to left to see what happens.

I have a question: how thick are the parking brake pads suppposed to be? Mine are very thin but i'm not sure that's normal or worn. afterall, how much pad do you need for a parking brake, ya know?
it might be worth getting that one spun on the lathe, it's only like 15 bucks and it could be warped
Old 03-04-2010, 03:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just pulled the rotors and, low and behold, there, sitting right on top of the parking break shoe was a piece of rust that came off the rotor. It was just sitting in there squeaking away. I cleaned out both sides, shoes and the drum/rotor and it was all quiet again.

What I've been doing the last few years with brakes is just swapping pads every time and getting a new rotor every other time. I don't bother turning them unless of course I have pedal vibration or they appear scored. But given that the JK is just over a year old and 24k on the clock, I didn't bother at all. I was surprised at how rusty the inside of that rotor was/is! I guess it fills with dirty water when off roading. I guess I'll start cleaning it out after trips.

Anyway, all's ok. I love how the rear brakes are so easy to service!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got done rotating my tires at 25k. Brakes look great!!! Should get at least another 10 before they will need work. Now time for
Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

The guys/gals on this forum ROCK! Quick response and good answers....gotta love the Jeep family, after all it is the best family . Thanks to all yall
Old 04-09-2010, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by adamisadam
I just pulled the rotors and, low and behold, there, sitting right on top of the parking break shoe was a piece of rust that came off the rotor. It was just sitting in there squeaking away. I cleaned out both sides, shoes and the drum/rotor and it was all quiet again.

What I've been doing the last few years with brakes is just swapping pads every time and getting a new rotor every other time. I don't bother turning them unless of course I have pedal vibration or they appear scored. But given that the JK is just over a year old and 24k on the clock, I didn't bother at all. I was surprised at how rusty the inside of that rotor was/is! I guess it fills with dirty water when off roading. I guess I'll start cleaning it out after trips.

Anyway, all's ok. I love how the rear brakes are so easy to service!
So I have zero-point-zero experience messing with the brake assemblies, should I let the stealership look into this for me? I've got the same squeal that I suspect is not related to pads.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's easy to do. Basic tools. My squeal comes and goes. I may swap rotors right to left since the noise is only on one side. otherwise I'll just put new rotors on. My last off roading trip fixed it for now. some mud/water crossings I plan to take the rotor off to clean it out, which is why I may as well do something while in there.

but it's easy to do. If you're at all handy, and have tools. Don't forget to pick yourself up a nice big C clamp for $10 to compress the piston into the caliper if you do the pads while you're in there.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Just replaced mine 48,000 miles. Not too bad I guess.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

I have 135,000 kilometers on mine. original . Soon though.

Quick Reply: New breaks at 26000??