Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New breaks at 26000??

Old 03-04-2010, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear brakes are just now starting to wear out at 36k mi. But I live in Indiana and it is very flat here, hilly or mountain areas will go through brakes faster also.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ESP is off all the time. (100% off). I just prefer to drive it that way. Plus I can hit my rear locker and go to town without hacking the ESP wiring or having to deal with the steering wheel Jig to get turn it off. Also no ESP kicking in while i am in 2wd on trails, I tend to haul ass when i can, kick it sideways fairly often! ESP doesn't like that for sure.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

BTW, Im fixing to go with bigger tires (35s) any suggestions on what kind? I mostly drive on road, but that is fixing to change! I want different wheels to, i was thinking maybe 15s?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1) Spelling nazi's are incredibly annoying.
2) Brakes are super easy to change and super cheap to do.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spartan99
1) Spelling nazi's are incredibly annoying.
Agreed!

Yea i can change them easy, ive done it many times. I was just wonderin bout the few miles they have on them. But oh well I love my JK, id put brakes on it every other month if i had to
Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
so I was hearing what sounded like worn pads on calipers. my rear pads were low but did have life left at 24k. it's cheap enough so I replaced them. I didn't change or cut rotors. I pulled them and cleaned some dirt out of parking brakes. I rarely use parking brake.

quiet for 2k miles & now I get a rythmic (sp?) squeak from same right rear that is somewhat present while going straight, worse when going left and gone when turning right. applying parking brake does nothing. applying regular brake silences noise.

pads squeaking? lube them?
rotor swueaking? swap right to left to see if noise moves sides or goes away? thoughts?

it's embarrassing!
see above. I have squeaks with new pads.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

The reason mine squeak is because they are down to a low level and its just a warning sound... so iv heard.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm...mine are fine at 30k.

"so I was hearing what sounded like worn pads on calipers. my rear pads were low but did have life left at 24k. it's cheap enough so I replaced them. I didn't change or cut rotors. I pulled them and cleaned some dirt out of parking brakes. I rarely use parking brake.

quiet for 2k miles & now I get a rythmic (sp?) squeak from same right rear that is somewhat present while going straight, worse when going left and gone when turning right. applying parking brake does nothing. applying regular brake silences noise.

pads squeaking? lube them?
rotor swueaking? swap right to left to see if noise moves sides or goes away? thoughts?"

I don't think it's your brakes. I think it's your ball joint or bearing or whatever the heck it's called. Turning to the right pushes the wheel away from the source of the squeal as does applying the brakes. Sumthin' like that.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

My rear pads started squeaking badly at 35000 miles, checked pads and front pads looked brand new, rears were 1/8" thick almost gone... From what I was told the set-up for braking power is supposed to be 70/30, the 70 being your front pads 30 on the rear, so something was not adding up... I took it into the dealership and they found something wrong with a control module (computer related)... Anyways I cannot remember what the exact name of what they replaced, but they replaced it and put on new rear pads and I have had no other problems...

Last edited by texastraveler; 03-04-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
I don't think it's your brakes. I think it's your ball joint or bearing or whatever the heck it's called. Turning to the right pushes the wheel away from the source of the squeal as does applying the brakes. Sumthin' like that.
noise is coming from right reat. no ball joints there. and when I say turning right or left, I mean the SLIGHTEST change in steering input as I drive down the highway and stay within my lane, that's how slight. I'm home now and goign to pull the rotors now. I have a feeling the parking brake pads have dirt in them again/still. I may swap rotors right to left to see what happens.

I have a question: how thick are the parking brake pads suppposed to be? Mine are very thin but i'm not sure that's normal or worn. afterall, how much pad do you need for a parking brake, ya know?

Quick Reply: New breaks at 26000??