Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New 2011 JK, what is this?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by owtcast
I've got factory remote start and don't have anything like that. I do have the shitty switch pin under the hood like was pictured. They added it at the dealer when installing the remote start.
Ditto. 2011 here with remote start installed at the factory. No trigger under the hood here and nothing like this 'module'.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drphil
our keys have a programmable chip inside that's required in order for the vehicle to start (so somebody can't start your vehicle with just a copy). in order for the remote start to work, the matching coded chip must be within a certain range of the ignition in order for it to continue running for longer than like 2 seconds. that's most likely what that is.

we had an aftermarket remote starter kit professionally installed last year on my wife's dodge ram and they had to add a similar device in order to bypass the programmable key requirement. bet that's what it is...
X2. You would have to have a 3'rd key somewhere in there for a aftermarket remote start feature so the jeep thinks the key is in the ignition. If it's just an alarm no key needed but you should still have something to arm/disarm it. I'd make them take whatever the hell it is out or at least put a new panel in my Jeep and move that thing. It looks like turd!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is another 2011 with the same thing. I PM's the owner to get an answer, but thought I would show another example.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photobucket-4010-1330575558663.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	297719
Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 PM
JK Freak

I bet it's the guide point or LoJack module. The button is for calling to a service center like onstar. My 2010 has this in the same exact place, but the module looks different.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same thing in my jeep. I was under the impression this was part of the KARR alarm system, like Basecamper said...

Do a google image search on "karr alarm", the first picture will be from a Prius website, it looks like the backsides of the two pieces you posted in post 17.

Quick Reply: New 2011 JK, what is this?