Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The never ending battle of the mpgs!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bsack
I hope that clear and concise logic will put this one to bed. Could you post the same thing on the other 99 'MGP' threads?
I think that would be a full time job!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Even if Chrysler comes out with a more fuel-efficient engine for the Wranger, the fundamental "aerodynamics of a brick" issue won't change... with so much drag at speed, you can only squeeze so many MPGs out....
...so keep your speed down.

I'm sure there are some things Jeep could do to minimize drag. Trimming down those massive mirrors should be first on their list. Maybe adding some strategically placed vortex generators could help? Reducing Jeep drag while maintaining the traditional lines would be and should be a good senior project for an aero engineering college with a decent sized low-speed wind tunnel. Hell, Jeep should fund it! College kids love Jeeps! (I'm all for anything that will help the engineering students do something cool AND beneficial.)
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you wanna economy car, keep the toyota. If you wanna vehicle to REALLY have some FUN with, then get the Jeep.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

I found that the on board computer was saying that I was getting almost 20 mpg. Doing the math by hand (by mileage divided by gallons to refill) I found that I'm actually only getting 17.5 mpg. That's going with the 2000 rev challenge. Shifting into a higher gear when I get to 2000 rev's. You won't get get any jack rabbit starts that way but it does help the mileage. Even if I was only getting 12-15 mpg - I won't give up my Jeep!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

You know the sad part of this is they already could build all sorts of vehicles and get twice to three times (or more) as much gas mileage but the same people who own the oil companies also own auto companies and it will never happen.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
You know the sad part of this is they already could build all sorts of vehicles and get twice to three times (or more) as much gas mileage but the same people who own the oil companies also own auto companies and it will never happen.

Well said, Look all the poople with the coments like keep your toyota, and I'll drive my jeep even if it got 10mpg are dumb. I am going to laugh when gas goes to 5 bucks a gallon. THE POINT OF THIS POST, was not an opinion on weather the jeep gets good mpg, or weather or not I am going to keep my toyota, or weather your going to keep your jeep. It was a thread about your guys opinoin on the future of chrysler and more fuel friendly vehichles. If you look a other major automanufactors, like......Toyota, since we were already on toyota ( I am not a die hard toyota fan...Im just driving the car to and from work) I am just using the company as an expample. They have a full line of v6 engines that produce the same if not more hp then the engine in the wrangler. Yet they net way higher mpgs. Now.....I know we are comparing a car to a wrangler, so the air resistance is going to play a factor. But even with the massive air ressitance, the jeep with a toyota engine would net WAY higher mpgs, and have more hp/ and torque. I guess what Im trying to say is that its time that chrysler catches up and gets with the "Now" because they way the future looks, if they dont they are going to be SOL. I have been to the my local jeep deeer her twice in the past month (for parts for my cousins jeep) and all they have on their showroom floor are, models that net higher mpgs. The place was a gost town, you could here a pin drop. This is a really big dealership that is well known in the area. I asked the managager about the lack of customers, and he said almost all of his salesman have quit, and he does most of the selling. He told me the auto industry has hit a brick wall, and people are looking for more fuel friendly vehicles. Its not too long that there will be performance and fuel economy fixed into vehicles.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Asta4125
Well said, Look all the poople with the coments like keep your toyota, and I'll drive my jeep even if it got 10mpg are dumb. I am going to laugh when gas goes to 5 bucks a gallon. THE POINT OF THIS POST, was not an opinion on weather the jeep gets good mpg, or weather or not I am going to keep my toyota, or weather your going to keep your jeep. It was a thread about your guys opinoin on the future of chrysler and more fuel friendly vehichles. If you look a other major automanufactors, like......Toyota, since we were already on toyota ( I am not a die hard toyota fan...Im just driving the car to and from work) I am just using the company as an expample. They have a full line of v6 engines that produce the same if not more hp then the engine in the wrangler. Yet they net way higher mpgs. Now.....I know we are comparing a car to a wrangler, so the air resistance is going to play a factor. But even with the massive air ressitance, the jeep with a toyota engine would net WAY higher mpgs, and have more hp/ and torque. I guess what Im trying to say is that its time that chrysler catches up and gets with the "Now" because they way the future looks, if they dont they are going to be SOL. I have been to the my local jeep deeer her twice in the past month (for parts for my cousins jeep) and all they have on their showroom floor are, models that net higher mpgs. The place was a gost town, you could here a pin drop. This is a really big dealership that is well known in the area. I asked the managager about the lack of customers, and he said almost all of his salesman have quit, and he does most of the selling. He told me the auto industry has hit a brick wall, and people are looking for more fuel friendly vehicles. Its not too long that there will be performance and fuel economy fixed into vehicles.
I wouldn't say the Toyotas are all that much better than what we currently have with our Jeeps:

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X:
Mpg: 15/19
Engine: 3.8L V6
Curb Weight: 4180 lbs
Horsepower: 202
Torque: 237 lb/ft
Price: $22,580

Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD:
Mpg: 16/20
Engine: 4.0L V6
Curb Weight: 4300 lbs
Horsepower: 236
Torque: 266 lb/ft
Price: $30,290

Toyota FJ Cruiser Base 4WD
Mpg: 15/18 (on premium fuel)
Engine: 4.0L V6
Curb Weight: 4290 lbs
Horsepower: 239
Torque: 278 lb/ft
Price: $23,725

Toyota Highlander Base AWD
Mpg: 17/23
Engine: 3.5L V6
Curb Weight: 4178 lbs
Horsepower: 270
Torque: 248 lb/ft
Price: $28,750

The difference isn't as great as you might think. The Wrangler costs significantly less than the Highlander and 4Runner. The FJ runs on premium fuel and gets worse mileage.

Would I like a Wrangler that gets 23 mpg and has 270 hp and 280 lb/ft of torque? Sure. Is it worth it to me to pay an additional $5K-10K to get it? No.

Quick Reply: The never ending battle of the mpgs!