Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need to Vent!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to Vent!

Wow, what a night! Salvage company came over to get the wifes written-off car. Car is in an alley with 3' snow. Their winch is not working so they call me to utilize my jeep and winch to get the car out. Figuring that he likely has more experience with winching than I do I said OK. Get home and the Jeep is being boosted (over top the plastic covers on my battery freeking idiot!) and my winch is smoking! totally fried. He did a 200' pull through 3' of snow with a car that has 4" ground clearance without pausing! Now I need a new winch and I doubt he will pay for it. Also doubt that small claims court would be in my favor as I permitted him to use it. Sorry guys and gals just need to vent.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Junkie

Wow! That does really suck. I feel for you. I can't believe the guy would be that stupid. I hope he does the right thing in this matter. Keep us posted.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Hindsight being 20/20 should have let them deal with it on their own, without your equipment. Their winch being fried should have told you something. Sorry about the damage, hopefully they will make it right for you.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
Hindsight being 20/20 should have let them deal with it on their own, without your equipment. Their winch being fried should have told you something. Sorry about the damage, hopefully they will make it right for you.
You're absolutely right. Serves me right for trying to be a nice guy and help them out.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

That's just not right. Hope it works out for you Northernmedic. Have you called the salvage company yet? What did the driver have to say about it?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

The driver was the owner. i told him that he owed me a new winch and that I was waiting for his call. He of coure had nothing to say
Old 01-10-2009, 10:02 PM
JK Super Freak

The guy was obviously a complete idiot and incompetent or he did not give a rats ass cause it was your winch not his. Flatbed operators are usually very experienced winch operators as they get really good at listening to their equipment and operating it in a way that will preserve it. Fool!

You should at least take the winch to your local Warn service center. At least there's a possibility you might find out the repair is not much money. You don't know if you don't at least try. They didn't charge me at all to give me an estimate to fix mine, then I found out it was only $50 to repair it to like new condition!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow! That is the pits! I'm so sorry to hear about this. It would make anyone angry. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess we know why his winch was broken...
Old 01-11-2009, 03:21 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
I guess we know why his winch was broken...
X2. Hope he does the right thing.

Quick Reply: Need to Vent!