Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need tire suggestions for a 2008 Sahara Unlimited

Old 04-24-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tire suggestions for a 2008 Sahara Unlimited

We just bought a 2008 Sahara Unlimted and need ideas for tires. On our old Rubicon we had the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain and they were great. I'm told that these aren't available for the 18" Sahara rims. We want a tire that is more aggressive than the All Season that is on it now. What is available that would be half way decent on the highway but still have good traction like the Mud Terrain? Oh by the way, the Sahara isn't lifted and we want 32's or 33's, preferably 32.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Well If you're gonna be using it as your daily driver, look into some Goodyear Duratracs. They do well in the mud and are great on the road!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have BFG KM2's on my Jk. Love em. But I have General Grabbers on my Tacoma.

The BFGs are quieter but I feel that the General have a lot more traction.

Both are great tire and you would be very happy with either.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Why aren't the km2s available for your sahara is a better question though
I believe the OP was talking about the regular KM's that come on rubicons. Those are only available in 255/75R17. Once Jeep stops putting them on the Rubi, they will probably be discontinued. Pawingers, if you are really interested in the KM's, you could probably look in the for sale section of the forum and find a nice set of Rubi take-off wheels and tires for less than you would pay for a new set of good 18" tires. You could also look at something like a Cooper Discoverer STT. From everything that I've read, they are an excellent offroad tire, but also have pretty decent on-road manners.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcharge74
I believe the OP was talking about the regular KM's that come on rubicons. Those are only available in 255/75R17. Once Jeep stops putting them on the Rubi, they will probably be discontinued. Pawingers, if you are really interested in the KM's, you could probably look in the for sale section of the forum and find a nice set of Rubi take-off wheels and tires for less than you would pay for a new set of good 18" tires. You could also look at something like a Cooper Discoverer STT. From everything that I've read, they are an excellent offroad tire, but also have pretty decent on-road manners.
I was going to mention the Cooper Discoverer also. I wheeled with a friend a couple of weeks ago who has them (in 37's), and they seemed to clear mud pretty well. We didn't get into any real deep stuff, but compared to my crappy Nitto's, his did a great job.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Default Goodyear Duratrac

I highly recommend a set of the Goodyear Duratrac's. I owned a set on my 2008 Tundra and when I picked up our 2011 Sahara JKU a couple weeks ago, I drove straight from the dealer to the tire shop for another set on my Jeep. They are a great all around A/T with agressive mud blocks and side walls. They do great on the trail, not too noisey on the road, great in snow, affordable and last forever too.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2011Sahara
I highly recommend a set of the Goodyear Duratrac's. I owned a set on my 2008 Tundra and when I picked up our 2011 Sahara JKU a couple weeks ago, I drove straight from the dealer to the tire shop for another set on my Jeep. They are a great all around A/T with agressive mud blocks and side walls. They do great on the trail, not too noisey on the road, great in snow, affordable and last forever too.

Old threads are old but "Winter is coming" and I need something to replace the stock Duelers on my Sahara. I'm liking what I'm hearing about the Duratrac and would probably run them year round, although I'd love to have (read afford) a studded set just for winter. I'm stock at the moment, 3.73 gears, no lift.

The Duratrac doesn't come in a P255/70R18 so what size Duratrac are people replacing these with? Does anyone use the stock 18" rims? What would be a "close equivalent"?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do the Kelley Safari TSR......They are a load range E so in a light vehicle like a jeep you will never wear them out
Old 08-31-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You could do a 265, maybe even a 275 on stock rims withou other mods. What sizes are available for 18's in the duratracs?
The Duratrac is available in the following 18" sizes according to Goodyear's site:
LT275/65R18
LT275/70R18
LT295/65R18
LT325/65R18

Looks like the 275/65R18 would have pretty much an identical diameter as the stock P255/70R18 Duelers. They'd be about 7/8" wider across though. When would I hit a size that needs backspacing?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 275/65/18 duratracs And they rub at full lock everrrr so slightly without spacers or the steerstop mod..sick tires though!

Quick Reply: Need tire suggestions for a 2008 Sahara Unlimited