Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: How should I paint American Flag on Jeep
just the grille
12.50%
just the insert
45.83%
grille and insert as one
41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Need some opinions

Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toad
I believe that only pertains to the actual flag, and not a painting of it on a vehicle.
Nope.

From http://www.ushistory.org/BETSY/flagetiq.html....

"According to the Flag Code, a flag is a flag or anything "by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag." According to the definition in the Flag Code, these images are flags."

I'm not trying to be difficult. After reading more, I think the grille would end up to be not inviolation. I just want to throw it out there to enhance the discussion.

I wanted to buy a flag t-shirt once and a buddy that is a vet of the Gulf War and Iraq War, advised that it was a violation of code. I did some subsequent research and found a lot of stuff, while patriotic in intention, ended up being in violation of code.

Last edited by shredX; 04-23-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shredX
I would read the rules and regulations for the Flag.

I don't believe the flag or it's likeness should be on anything that may get soiled. The grille is questionable.

IMO if you want to display the flag on a vehicle, fly it from a mast on the right front fender.

If you go forward, you should not put the "Jeep" back over it. Nothing in print should overlay the flag. Even when there is patriotic intent.

The definition of "flag" means anything in likeness. The B of A symbol is considered to be a flag and subject to the rules.
You are most correct sir. Fly it!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

After spending too much time on it I'm not sure either.

For the purpose of the poll. I vote inserts.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toad
Here are 3 down and dirty comps for you to get an idea:

Grill

Inserts

Both grill and inserts
damn toad those look great, how you do that? lol

I am going to do the insert somehow, I know some may say its against flag code, but so is a million other things the Flag is put on, and EVERY new fire truck I've seen since 9/11 has it on their grille insert. The wounded warrier jeep was painted with the american flag, would have loved to win that, had many tickets lol. I love my country and want to display the flag on my jeep, flying a flag on it will get destroyed from the wind while driving . I want it there all the time, I dont want to be removing it. Its something I've wanted to do since I got my jeep, I had the flag decal that covers the rear window on my durango. I have a flag in memorial case that was on my grandfathers casket, he served in WWII. there are many reasons I want to display it anywhere I can, 9/11 is another, my dad knew 47 people killed that day, I watched as the 2nd plane flew hit tower 2, I watched them disappear from the skyline. I LOVE THIS COUNTRY and OUR FLAG!! sorry for going on and on.

if some want to take it as an insult to our flag so be it thats their opinion

I think I could use material like used on this insert.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...mplate&page=23
Old 04-23-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

The inserts look really cool. Good job Toad

Quick Reply: Need some opinions