Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need some Help!!! Is this normal or is it causing Death Wobble???

Old 11-15-2014, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Help!!! Is this normal or is it causing Death Wobble???

I have been experiencing death wobble on My 2014 Rubicon unlimited. I made a short video, just need some advice on weather this is normal or not?
Thanks in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9YgpJpLXUI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9YgpJpLXUI
Old 11-15-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tie rod & draglink both move like that because the tierod ends allow it to. It's pretty normal... unless there's too much play in them, but it's hard to tell in the video.

Did you check your trackbar bolts frame & axle side? Did you remove/install any parts?
Old 11-15-2014, 08:21 PM
JK Super Freak

That drag link seemed like it may have been a tad too easy to move, but like stated earlier, they're are supposed to do that. Also like stated earlier, I'd check the track bar bolts, make sure they're torqued correctly (125 ft lbs I believe) and also see if the holes for them are "wallowed out" or in an oval shape more than a circular shape.

Also, it probably isn't this, but I forgot to retighten my drag link coupling once and that was interesting to say the least. Might want to check that as well?
Old 11-16-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505
That drag link seemed like it may have been a tad too easy to move, but like stated earlier, they're are supposed to do that. Also like stated earlier, I'd check the track bar bolts, make sure they're torqued correctly (125 ft lbs I believe) and also see if the holes for them are "wallowed out" or in an oval shape more than a circular shape.

Also, it probably isn't this, but I forgot to retighten my drag link coupling once and that was interesting to say the least. Might want to check that as well?
Second the track bar bolts and holes.
Almost always the source.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 11-16-2014, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies gentleman. I am going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow to have everything double checked. I also order a dual steering stabilizer which will hopefully help. If nothing else heard it is not a bad thing to install if You run larger tires.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Kirch78
Thanks for the replies gentleman. I am going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow to have everything double checked. I also order a dual steering stabilizer which will hopefully help. If nothing else heard it is not a bad thing to install if You run larger tires.
You'll get mixed reviews on using dual steering stabilizers; some don't run a steering stabilizer at all. From what I have read over the last couple years, a steering stabilizer is more of a 'band-aide' to actual problems and only masks them for some time until ultimate failure. I am by no means an expert, but don't see the need for a dual set up. If I have a problem that is in its infant stages, I personally would like some sort of immediate symptoms to diagnose and remedy it before it becomes a huge issue--I think by using the dual set up, you wont have early indications unless something is really bad.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It won't.

Your steering components are meant to rotate like that. You want to check to see if those bars moved directly up and down. It's too difficult to do by hand, you'll need a large adjustable wrench. Check youtube.

Is your wobble speed sensitive? Meaning, does it always come in at a certain speed range? Can you throttle out of it, or do you have to come to a complete stop? Speed sensitive wobble is almost always the tires/wheels.

I think diagnosing DW in a jeep is like a rite of passage. It will drive you crazy and it's downright maddening. Go through the list:

Ball joints-- common
Track bar-- common
steering stabilizer damaged-- will never be the true cause, but can help in small bump steer
tie rod ends
drag link ends
wheel bearings
sway bar

Enjoy....
Old 11-16-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you experiencing a violent shaking that feels like your jeep is trying to tear itself apart? Or do you feel bump steer/wheel shimmy when going over uneven ground like a big pothole that goes away after a few seconds?
Old 11-17-2014, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the replies, JK Freak I defineatly have wheel bump. But once while navigating a left bend I hit a series of cracks in the road that sent it into a wobble that could have knocked out some of the fillings in My teeth. Lol.
I am getting it looked at this afternoon, and I am not buying the stabilizers as a band aid. I am thinking that it will help with pre mature wear from the bigger tires straining the front end.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:29 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Thanks for all the replies, JK Freak I defineatly have wheel bump. But once while navigating a left bend I hit a series of cracks in the road that sent it into a wobble that could have knocked out some of the fillings in My teeth. Lol.
I am getting it looked at this afternoon, and I am not buying the stabilizers as a band aid. I am thinking that it will help with pre mature wear from the bigger tires straining the front end.
Have a buddy sit in the driver seat and turn the wheel light left and right over and over. You feel around EVERY steering link and the trackbar for non circular motion. That will show you the culprit nearly every time. On my jeep, a common cause was the axle side trackbar hole was too wide.

Beyond that you have unit bearings and ball joints which can be checked simply by jacking up that side of the jeep and using a pry bar to move wheel around and up off the ground checking for motion. Much faster than going to the dealer where I find them guessing.

Dont burn money on the dual SS to decrease wear, there are a lot of other items that can be done to help your steering, but I find the steering is best just replaced with quality upgrades starting with a tie rod that wont bend into a frown on the first rock it sees.

Quick Reply: Need some Help!!! Is this normal or is it causing Death Wobble???