Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

need recomendation for good repair shop in central arkansas

Old 11-18-2014, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need recomendation for good repair shop in central arkansas

I believe i have a wheel bearing going bad and my front differential is leaking out of the drive shaft at the pumpkin and i was wondering what a good shop to take it too that wasnt gonna cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions on that or how much and how to fix it without taking it to a shop would be appreciated. A shop between little rock and searcy arkansas would be preferred
Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whel bearings are very to swap. The crush sleeve at the drive shaft is a different story. The sleeve requires you to competely take the diff apart. Wheel bearings are very simple.

First start by jacking up the axle, right next to the tire in front of the control arm

Make sure it is blocked and or has a jack underneath it to keep it from falling on you.

Start by removing the lug nuts
After you have removed the lug nuts, pull the tire off.
Lets start by the loosening the nut on the wheel bearing this is much easier to do while you still have brakes. Its an 1" + size socket ( cannot remember exact size. Its the nut in the center of the wheel bearing cant miss it.

You will see you have your brake and rotor, remove the 2 bolts. On the back of the brake.

After you remove them take the rotor and brake and keep them together and pull it off at the same time. ( this will save you from having to push the brakes out again ). Or take them apart.

You will see a wheel speed sensor wirr that goes into the wheel bearing follow it up top to the shock tower and unclip it. The new wheel bearing will give you one.

Once those are done. You will then see 3, 12 point
Bolts. Loosen and pull them out.

You will need a gear pulley to remove the bearing from the shaft or since its gone smack it with a hammer. Use a block of wood if you are worried about damaging it.

Reverse process to put back on.
Look online for torque specs.
Lug nuts torque to 100 ft pounds

Tools needed:

Wrenches ( 12 point )
Impact or tire bar to loosen lug nuts
Torque wrench
Sockets
Flat head
Jack stand or wooden blocks
Jack
Wd 40 to help loosen bolts
The one you may not have is the big 1" socketicanot remenbet exsct size but its like a 1" and 3/8s or something.

Quick Reply: need recomendation for good repair shop in central arkansas