Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need to Learn More

Old 07-17-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need to Learn More

Hello all,
I'm new here, I like the board it looks pretty good so far. Anyhow I was hoping ya'll could help a newbie out. The thing is I've never had anyone around that could teach me about modifications and such. I'm not completely automotive challenged as I can do the basic auto repair/upkeep (change oil, spark plugs, brakes, replace radiator, basic electrical work, etc). I was thinking ya'll could give me some pointers on where to get some info on aftermarket add on's and such.

Thing is, I've had a Ranger for 12 years now. Its getting time to trade her in and I'm looking hard at a JKU. I want to start learning about the mods and stuff now so there will be no surprises and such later. I happened to catch an episode of Truck U today and I liked it ok; wish they went into more detail. They explained how a supercharger worked, what it did, and how to install one kinda (as best they could in 30 min). What I'm wanting to know is, where can I learn more stuff like this? What shows, magazines, websites, etc are good references?

Thank Guys,
Randall

Last edited by RandallW201; 07-17-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

What really helped me out is just opening threads that looked interesting and reading them. I learned how to do the Grill mod by getting curious and looking in the Grill Mod thread. Same with my Stubby bumper.

There's a local Texas Jeepers Club that meets in the DFW area alot... Can't remember the name of it for the life of me now. They are a great group of guys as well if you learn best by talking one on one to a person.

But my best suggestion would be to read. I am on this forum more at work than I am working, and same during classes. Also since buying my JKU I have done all the work on it myself, further helping myself. My father had a Ford Ranger for 14 years that he always encouraged me to help him with. After going to college and buying myself this JK, I've had to learn much more on my own.

Sorry for the long post.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good luck in whatever you decide to buy. Reading this forum, the "write-up" section in particular will help you a lot.
Some things I think a prospective owner might want to know:
1. The 2007-2011 motor is the 3.8: weak, the 2012 motor is the 3.6; much better and the 12' trans is better too. If you aren't lifting your Jeep w/ bigger tires the 3.8 w/ an exhaust and an intake will probably be fine. There are tuners for the 07'-10' but the 11' is much more difficult and expensive to tune.
2. A lot of people's trans. have overheated; an add-on trans. cooler generally takes care of that.
3. The front suspension is problematic: search "death wobble" on this forum. Upgrades to the front trackbar bolts, tie ends, stabilizer, and ball joints will probably be necessary. (Steering upgrades too if you're running larger wheels and tires.)
4. You may have to re-gear if you decide to run larger tires on a 07' thru 11'.
5. Lift kits can be good or bad; many have had problems with their lift kit but many of the more expensive better engineered lift kits work very well.
6. The JK's are known for rattles, even the new ones; search "door strike" or "tape fix" on this forum.
7. If you travel to where it's pretty hot you'll probably need to add hard top insulation, search "hothead".
8. Buy a Rubi. if you plan on moderate wheeling and don't plan on modifying it like crazy. Buy the base model if you're planning on an extensive build.
9. JK's tend to hold their value pretty well; which is good once you have one but is a pain when you're looking to buy one.
There's currently nothing else like the JK on the market, and this forum and it's members might be the best forum on the planet dedicated to one specific model.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Cool, thank you guys. Ya'll have led me on a step in the right direction. And no need to apologize for long winded posts, I do that myself sometimes. Anyhow, the more info the better I see it.

I like how you gave me examples to look at navin, I appreciate that alot. Two things that stuck out is how the 3.6 has more power than the 3.8. I'd like to learn more about why that is. I've been hoping they'd come back out with a 4.0 or something similar soon.
Funny you mention a "death wobble" two days ago I was driving down the raod and a JKU came up beside me while we were slowing to a stop and his front end began to "wobble" or "shake". I was shocked, thinking what the F is wrong with his jeep... Now that I know its a known prob and not of his own doing I'll be looking into that as well.

Anyhow, I hope ya'll don't mind a lurker on here just trying to learn. I'm actually graduating from college finally (thanks to my wife that let me go back) this August. Hopefully I can land a decent job relatively quickly and get a good down payment saved up so I can get one of these bad boys within a year. I don't know how much longer my Ranger will hold up.

BTW, I've already decided to go with a Rubi if I decide to get a Jeep (always been a truck guy and like the idea of a bed). I priced out the options I want and an X model with the add on's I want is only about 1-2K lower than the Rubi, I figure its a no brainer.

Again, thank you guys!!!
Randall

Last edited by RandallW201; 07-17-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

Lurk as long as you need. It's great that you've already done searches on your pricing. One of the main reasons the 3.6 has more power is that it is newer. They've packed a bit more punch into a new motor. The 3.8 had been around for several years before it went into the JK and is quite inferior to the new 3.6.

I'm a Junior in college now, can't wait to get out and be working full time again making thousands, not spending thousands.

Death Wobble isn't "too" much of a problem. I had it for a month, before getting it under control. It definitely will make your butt pucker the first time it happens. I learned of my way to fix it from a fellow jeep owning neighbor of my father's. He gave me some advice. For me the fix was tightening the Trackbar bolts down to WAY over spec. I used a Torque wrench initially but it still reoccurred. My fix was to take a 3' breaker bar and wrench, put my legs on the frame, and pull with all my might tightening that damn bolt down. Some may say excessive, but it has fixed it for nearly a year now for me.

Hope to see you riding around in a Rubicon soon.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The more you get involved with this forum, the more you'll find literally any and everything you'd like to know about your JK. Be it trouble shooting issues, mod installs, where to buy what, this forum has been so informative for me and helped me with tons of questions and concerns. Enjoy
Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks again guys, I'm currently surfing through the forum now. Already learned that I don't know the lingo evidently, lol...
I for some reason thought that the 4 door Wrangler was a JK, now I know its actually a JKU. Anyhow, I edited my posts to include the "U". Looks like I got more to learn than I thought...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RandallW201
Cool, thank you guys. Ya'll have led me on a step in the right direction. And no need to apologize for long winded posts, I do that myself sometimes. Anyhow, the more info the better I see it.

I like how you gave me examples to look at navin, I appreciate that alot. Two things that stuck out is how the 3.6 has more power than the 3.8. I'd like to learn more about why that is. I've been hoping they'd come back out with a 4.0 or something similar soon.
Funny you mention a "death wobble" two days ago I was driving down the raod and a JKU came up beside me while we were slowing to a stop and his front end began to "wobble" or "shake". I was shocked, thinking what the F is wrong with his jeep... Now that I know its a known prob and not of his own doing I'll be looking into that as well.

Anyhow, I hope ya'll don't mind a lurker on here just trying to learn. I'm actually graduating from college finally (thanks to my wife that let me go back) this August. Hopefully I can land a decent job relatively quickly and get a good down payment saved up so I can get one of these bad boys within a year. I don't know how much longer my Ranger will hold up.

BTW, I've already decided to go with a Rubi if I decide to get a Jeep (always been a truck guy and like the idea of a bed). I priced out the options I want and an X model with the add on's I want is only about 1-2K lower than the Rubi, I figure its a no brainer.

Again, thank you guys!!!
Randall
I own a 2008 jku rubicon. It has the 3.8 and a manual tranny. I never overheat or have mechanical problems. While my times at the drag strip are slow I can run all day long at 75 mph and get 13-14 mpg with 38" tires and 6+ inches of lift. It all depends on how you build your rig.

You can buy an 07 with a blown motor and put a hemi in it! Be sure to shop for your rig to get a good deal. Used can save you a lot! Even a used 12.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by navin r
Good luck in whatever you decide to buy. Reading this forum, the "write-up" section in particular will help you a lot.
Some things I think a prospective owner might want to know:
1. The 2007-2011 motor is the 3.8: weak, the 2012 motor is the 3.6; much better and the 12' trans is better too. If you aren't lifting your Jeep w/ bigger tires the 3.8 w/ an exhaust and an intake will probably be fine. There are tuners for the 07'-10' but the 11' is much more difficult and expensive to tune.
2. A lot of people's trans. have overheated; an add-on trans. cooler generally takes care of that.
3. The front suspension is problematic: search "death wobble" on this forum. Upgrades to the front trackbar bolts, tie ends, stabilizer, and ball joints will probably be necessary. (Steering upgrades too if you're running larger wheels and tires.)
4. You may have to re-gear if you decide to run larger tires on a 07' thru 11'.
5. Lift kits can be good or bad; many have had problems with their lift kit but many of the more expensive better engineered lift kits work very well.
6. The JK's are known for rattles, even the new ones; search "door strike" or "tape fix" on this forum.
7. If you travel to where it's pretty hot you'll probably need to add hard top insulation, search "hothead".
8. Buy a Rubi. if you plan on moderate wheeling and don't plan on modifying it like crazy. Buy the base model if you're planning on an extensive build.
9. JK's tend to hold their value pretty well; which is good once you have one but is a pain when you're looking to buy one.
There's currently nothing else like the JK on the market, and this forum and it's members might be the best forum on the planet dedicated to one specific model.

All Jeeps hold their value...I sold my 03' Rubi for $14,400.

The best advise that I can give is like another poster said. Read, read, and read some more...decide how you want you're Jeep to look and research said mods...do you're homework. I made so many mistakes on my first Jeep, that I now take my time when it comes to mods and the companies I buy from. On my 3rd Jeep, and still learning...one reason I love this addiction. Oh, and dont be afraid to ask tons of questions...most here have made or will make the mistakes that you are scrared of.

Quick Reply: Need to Learn More