Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

need information

Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need information

Hey everybody just went out and bought a brand new 2010 jeep wrangler sahara 2 dr charcoal Grey jeep i am looking to do some mod's to the jeep. i am thinking some tires and rims. possibley a 1 1/2 to 2 inch body lift to fit the bigger tires. let me know what you would suggest for tires and rims on the truck. for stock set up also i am looking to carry a 16 ft kayak on the top would you suggest getting a safari rack or do you know if there are any special set ups for carying kayaks that i can remove the freedom top and the full hardtop easily?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Do a suspension lift rather than just a body lift and especially don't do a 2" body lift... it looks terrible.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the forum and Congrats on your new Jeep...
Lots of info on the forum and a bunch about some of the things you are thinking about doing to your rig. The search feature up in the right hand corner will let you type in Key words like tire, wheels, lifts, rack, etc. and lead you to great threads.

Good luck... Great color choice btw!!
Old 11-17-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m_syer
Do a suspension lift rather than just a body lift and especially don't do a 2" body lift... it looks terrible.
x2 Don't know how hard you plan to wheel it, but a 2" Budget boost can do wonders for your capability and get you some 35"s under there. As for the rack Gobi and MBRP seem to be the main choices, Considering one myself, still undecided.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Junkie

Don't waste your time with 2", buy a 6" suspension and 40" tires
Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by m_syer
I'd recommend at least a 2.5" budget boost (BB). This will give 2.5" in the front and 2" in the rear, leveling the Jeep's stance. But, I run that on my Jeep and 33s and still get light rubbing on hard trails. YMMV (lots of variables). You might throw a 1" body lift (BL) on top of that to mitigate the rubbing, but definitely not 2" because even the 1" looks a little bad what with the exposed pinch seam on the sides and at the rear.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
Don't waste your time with 2", buy a 6" suspension and 40" tires
Probably good advice since it seems that almost everyone (with a few exceptions of course) will eventually see bigger and better on here and want their Jeep to be huge aswell! I know that's what happened to me
Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Default rack advice

congrats on the new jeep! i love that color

regarding the rack,you should check out the wild boar and the gobi. they are a little pricey, but both really nice and should give you what you need. they flip back so it is easy to remove the tops

i went with a gobi, which has a removable front panel to so you dont even need to flip the rack back to enjoy your freedom tops. also a no drill install. very excellent.

from there, there are plenty of aftermarket saddles and rollers you could throw on there that would manage your kayak.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Hey!

hey everybody thanks for the great information i saw a jeep with a 2" body lift the other day it looked like crap! I do have a full warranty on the jeep i went to the dealership to see what they said about warrantys and they said i had to put on a mopar lift or it would void. but the dam lift is 1500 dollars!!! i might just forget it and take the gamble. i do not do serious offroading but this summer i will be hitting some trails out in colorado look at engineers trail and black bear trail. so what i think i will go with is the 2" budget boost lift with 33" micky thompson tires and dick cerpek rims. i found a great site if anybody is looking for tire and rims packages its desertrat.com. (cheers!!!!)

ITS A JEEP THING YOU WOULDENT UNDERSTAND!!!!

Last edited by wayoflifette; 11-29-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: please don't post direct links to non sponsors
Old 11-29-2009, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

The only part of the warranty that should be voided is the suspension itself. If they can't prove the rattle in the door pilar is due to your new lift, then they can't void that part of the warranty.

Lift it Love it Live it

Quick Reply: need information