Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need help wih road trip planning

Old 06-19-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help wih road trip planning

Wanting to take a trip down to Miami, than from there to Texas to visit friends. I would be driving in my 09 Sahara Unlimited.

Trying to figure out roughly how much gas would cost me and if it would be cheaper to just fly to the destinations.
Should I go by miles per tank vs. how many miles it takes to get there? If so, does anyone have a real world figure on how many miles we get per tank?

This will be my first time doing something like this, so if anyone has experience on how to go about that, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Justin
Old 06-19-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Justin;

Use Mapquest or some other program that will give you the mileage from home and all your stops, then back home again. Then just figure out how many mpg you get now, divide the mpg into your total trip miles and you'll have an estimate of how many gallons of gas you'll use.

To compare to the cost of flying, you'll also have to take into account food, lodging, and tolls. If you fly, do you have to rent a car at each destination?

Also take into consideration how many days you will spend driving. Are you using vacation days that could be used for something else if you do fly?

Weigh all the factors and make your best decision.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

If you have a smart phone, get the gas buddy app. It will show you the closest gas stations and the reported price. Some places have higher prices next to the highway. Saved me money on my vacation last week.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just drive and have fun. When you see a cool spot to wheel do it and move on.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just Drive

We left Kentucky went to Knoxville, TN, then to Jackson Ms, from there we went to New Orleans, then to Hopedale for fishing with friends. From Hopedale we followed the coast through Mobile Al and landed in Pensecola. Stayed a couple of nights on their and collected some tar balls. We then cut back across AL to Fort Payne for the night before heading back home. 1800 plus miles in our 2007 X. No reservations anywhere just went. Enjoyed ever minute. So if your not on a tight schedule DRIVE!

Quick Reply: Need help wih road trip planning