Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need help! I fell out of love for my JK, need help falling back in love with it...

Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know where you're coming from. I look at my other car as work and my JK as a mini-vacation. I found that there is so much freedom with the Jeep that isn't offered with other vehicles
Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chronotripper
Well you got the 4 door, so you don't have an excuse for getting rid of it because you have kids. Plus, I guarantee taking your newborn on some trails will do at least two of three things:

1) Make him/her laugh as you are bouncing along on the trails.
2) Put him/her right to sleep because he/she is bouncing on the trails.
3) Create family moments that cannot be had in an audi.

Why would you trade it in and have a second audi? It would make sense to trade it in for the SRT8 Grand Cherokee, but if you are disappointed in the speed and acceleration then trade it in for a 3.6L, add a supercharger, or convert to a hemi.

It all comes down to this is my eyes though: Which vehicle will allow you to have a more exciting and worthwhile time with the family? JK, Cherokee, or Audi (keep in mind you already have an audi). The choice is ultimately yours, and I know know that you will keep your family in mind and make the right decision (not trying to be bias here).
The first two reasons made me laugh and the last one is true. I can go almost anywhere in the JK.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blkjkchicago

The first two reasons made me laugh and the last one is true. I can go almost anywhere in the JK.
#3 for sure is true. It used to be that we only drove the minivan on the weekend. I just picked up my '12 a couple weeks ago and every weekend the kids are asking to take road trips in the jeep. We have not only stopped driving the minivan on weekends but our weekends have been more fun as we have taken a bunch of mini road trips to fun places within a 3 hour drive of home.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go drive a 12 if you want but I warn you it will make want to trade even more. The new engine is nice but the new 5 speed auto is really nice. First gear is lower and the ratios are closer together with a lower OD. It suits the JK much better. Oh yea I want to sell my 10 and get a new one too.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

I know how you feel....I came from a Lexus is350.....and even with new 2012 engine my jeep feels like a slug. Alot of people talk about how fast new engine is but never talk about how bad the transmission uses the power and feeling got worse after putting on bigger tires....So I bought a old beater (Acura rsx) to drive to work. I guess I'm more of a speed and handling guy.....and yes I reach for wife's mdx keys before jeep on long highway trips. The temptation of an M3 or S4 is hard to resist.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my honest opinion, if you're not interested in exploring the land and crawling rough 'no man' land terrain, a Jeep is going to lose its appeal to you. If I didn't enjoy the offroad experience of a jeep so much, I personally would be driving a sports car or something more fun and economic to drive on road. There are plenty of other convertables out there if you want the top down ride. Just a matter of your own needs for what you're driving.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe I need JK friends in the Chicagoland area to go offroading with. I really am all over the board on this. Before the Jeep I had a Audi, Porsche Turbo and RX7 turbo. I miss them days, having different vehicles depending on my mood. My other option would be to just pay the thing off by next year and buy a Mustang 5.0. I drove one about two weeks ago and dollar for dollar might be the biggest bang fout there. Plus I hear 2013 will be the last year for the Coyote engine. I guess the e.p.a. is putting the heat on more fuel efficient engines.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blkjkchicago
Maybe I need JK friends in the Chicagoland area to go offroading with. I really am all over the board on this. Before the Jeep I had a Audi, Porsche Turbo and RX7 turbo. I miss them days, having different vehicles depending on my mood. My other option would be to just pay the thing off by next year and buy a Mustang 5.0. I drove one about two weeks ago and dollar for dollar might be the biggest bang fout there. Plus I hear 2013 will be the last year for the Coyote engine. I guess the e.p.a. is putting the heat on more fuel efficient engines.
Look up ddoffroad.com

This looks to be the most active group in the Chicagoland area. They are about the head to Silver Lake.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Maybe you just need to go to some Jeep consoling to get your relationship back on the right path so your eyes are not constantly wandering looking at other vehicles with 4 wheels when you already have a commitment to a real 4 wheel drive vehicle at home.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I must tell you, I have owned 2 JKs and waiting for my 3rd to be delivered. Although I love the JK, I dont think (to me at least) that the JK is a long trip vehicle. I bought my wife a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 in April. We absolutely love it! It rides so smooth and with the Pentastar motor, it gets excellent gas mileage with plenty of power.
Im just being realistic here. The GC is better for family trips and long rides.

Quick Reply: Need help! I fell out of love for my JK, need help falling back in love with it...