Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need help! I fell out of love for my JK, need help falling back in love with it...

Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! I fell out of love for my JK, need help falling back in love with it...

I never thought this day would come but it did and it happened almost overnite. I bought my first JK late summer of 2008. I traded in my Audi for it and thought I would never regret it. I purchased a new Sahara unlimited and have enjoyed driving the Jeep up until now. The jeep has 55k on it and I have had zero problems with it. One of the issues I have is the piss poor acceleration and the difficulty of driving it on a day to day basis. I just got back driving from Chicago to South Dakota with the wife and the Jeep really wore me out.

I am looking to replace it with either a new Cherokee or a new Audi S4. I still want awd or 4wd for Chicago winters. Maybe the problem for me is not having two cars. I am married now and have a baby on the way so those days are over for the moment. I just got the wife a new Audi and I find myself reaching for her keys to drive it over my JK.

I still like many things about my wrangler, the fact that I can take my doors off, the great storage capacity and still love the timeless look of it. Do I look into a new JK with the new engine and transmission, the new Cherokee or the S4? I am really torn and would hate to trade it in and regret it a few months later.

Need help!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would supercharge the JK. Cheaper than buying a new Jeep or a new Audi. Even though the S4's are sweet.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well you got the 4 door, so you don't have an excuse for getting rid of it because you have kids. Plus, I guarantee taking your newborn on some trails will do at least two of three things:

1) Make him/her laugh as you are bouncing along on the trails.
2) Put him/her right to sleep because he/she is bouncing on the trails.
3) Create family moments that cannot be had in an audi.

Why would you trade it in and have a second audi? It would make sense to trade it in for the SRT8 Grand Cherokee, but if you are disappointed in the speed and acceleration then trade it in for a 3.6L, add a supercharger, or convert to a hemi.

It all comes down to this is my eyes though: Which vehicle will allow you to have a more exciting and worthwhile time with the family? JK, Cherokee, or Audi (keep in mind you already have an audi). The choice is ultimately yours, and I know know that you will keep your family in mind and make the right decision (not trying to be bias here).
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Hemi or 3.6L supercharger when they're released. What Audi does your wife have?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

We have 2 young kids with the wrangler, its totally fine. They love it when we go riding or top down.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I have been in the same boat many times. I have have sold several Jeeps and gone to something completely different, but for some reason always come back. Sometimes change is good, and it sounds like you have already made up your mind. Or get a '12 or '13 with the new motor and tranny, they definitely are improved
Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

I also live in Chicago and I have found the 3.6L in my '12 to have plenty of power to fight trafic on I90. However, you sound like you are more of a go fast kind of a guy than a go hit the trail guy, so go with what you love. SRT8 Grand may be in your future.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I traded in my Audi as well and I miss it all the time but I always love opening garage and seeing the Jeep

If you are debating on just those two vehicles I'd have to say the s4 hands down. Anyone who has driven an s4 or owned one would be nuts to tell you anything different
Old 07-17-2012, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you are going for comfort or performance... well... no real competition. However if you want fun, well the wrangler has that one in all weather and on all roads. I got bored of my 2010 Glorified Minivan (Grand Cherokee) and traded in for the Wrangler and dont miss it one bit. Before that it was an 08 Mitsu Evo that I ran the piss out of. It only was fun for part of the year and expensive the entire time (more-so than the JK). At times I miss the sheer speed and acceleration of the Evo, other times I miss the comfort of the WK.... but those moments are fleeting and I love getting in the JK and having a blast. Cant take the top off either of those other 2, or climb the rocks I climb. Plus I get in the wife's subaru and immediately want to jump out and run to the JK.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you everyone for your input. Yes I know that ultimately it is my decision and all three are good choices. My wife has a new A4 with the new google internet navigation, advanced key and Bang&Olufsen sound system. Buying a S4 would be like having her car but with tons more power. I did something last night that I haven't done in over a year. I took the doors off and went for a 45m drive. There is nothing like having the doors off, top off and cruising around. Best feeling ever. I went to the Audi dealer and the Jeep dealer and looked at all the cars. The new Cherokee is bad ass but kept gravitating towards the new Wranglers. Interiors are really nice and I hear the new engine is a huge improvement!

Love all the feedback from everyone. Thanks again....

Quick Reply: Need help! I fell out of love for my JK, need help falling back in love with it...