Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

need help dont know what to do

Old 09-17-2012, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help dont know what to do

My 2009 Jeep Rubicons transmission just went out and had it towed to the closest dealer because i was trying to get to DFW airport to fly to work for two weeks. The dealer said it was gonna be 975 dollars if the warranty didnt cover it. I have the lifetime powertrain warranty and maximum car warranty. My jeep has 51k miles on it and today I got a call saying its not covered under warranty and to fix the transmission would be 4200 bucks, WTF. They said the damage was from my tires, the tires which are 37s have been on less than 20k miles. What do I do any suggestion would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a second dealer & put some stock tires on it & see what happens. Look up the Warranty Act, I think they have to prove without a doubt the mods caused it vs manufacturing defect.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming that the gear ratios were never changed, the added gearing of the larger tires can cause a lot of added stress to a transmission.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup I hate to say it but you may be SOL here. I would definitely try what someone else recommended by putting stock tires back on and going to a different dealer. I mean whats the worse they can tell you, its not under warranty. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if youve used a programmer can you return it to stock before you take it back ? that would be a dead giveAway even if you put smaller tires back on . also 4200 is insane if you are a mechanically inclined person you could easily swap the trans in your driveway . you could go on ebay or even to a local wreckin yard and get one for about a grand , replace the torque converter new and flush all cooling lines and cooler and be done in a day . screw them . also it could be an electronics problem with the trans maybe a solenoid pack . that would. e an even. heaper fix and you can pull codes yourself and see just cycle the key on and off three times and end with on position . write down the p codes and then do a google search to id them good luck

Last edited by carolinajk; 09-17-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

The only thing I used was the programmer to change the speadometer and I can put that back real easy. I called a transmission place and they said they could fix it for 1800 bucks but the crappy thing is I have to pay that dealer 975 to get it just for looking at it since warranty cover it.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Assuming that the gear ratios were never changed, the added gearing of the larger tires can cause a lot of added stress to a transmission.

Gears were not changed yet.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Also does anyone in the Dallas or East Texas area let me borrow stock tires and rims from somebodies jeep for a day or two. Ill pay a renting fee lol if wanted?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM
JK Junkie

Bro if i was closer i would so help you out. Sorry im no help, if you were in the Houston area i could recommend you to a MOD friendly dealership. Good luck
Old 09-17-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholas
The only thing I used was the programmer to change the speadometer and I can put that back real easy. I called a transmission place and they said they could fix it for 1800 bucks but the crappy thing is I have to pay that dealer 975 to get it just for looking at it since warranty cover it.
975 for what did you sign anything authorizing work needed and if so what did they do? something smells fishy

Quick Reply: need help dont know what to do