Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Nail in Tire

Old 12-04-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Try another shop. I put a small bolt in one of my stock tires. I went to one shop and they said the bolt was too big and wouldn't patch it but they could sell me a new tire. I said no thanks and took it to another shop about a quarter mile away. They looked at it and said they could patch it, no problem.
denny's logic ftw
Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the tire business for a few years..

Here's what we would do off the record..for corners and sidewalls as long as it wasn't to far down..

Use a plug to seal the hole. Then trim the plug on the inside of the tire...Buff out the area inside the tire and then patch the area..By doing this we sealed any air that might get past the plug into the steel plys..The plug would seal the hole from water and debris from the outside..If we felt that the hole was a little larger than we where comfortable with or in a heavy flex area we would install a radial rated tube..I've seen both plugs and patches fail at one time or another so by using both with the installation of a tube your 100%..and much cheaper than a new tire.

I hope that helps and gives you another option.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have a good shop tube it.

I put a 3 inch gash in one of my Rubi's new tires (3K miles on them) and had a shop tube it - $30.

I have plugged holes in the edge of the tread on the sidewall and had no issues (actually, I'm doing that on the Rubi as we speak).
Old 12-04-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heepenjim
Get them patched. A plug is only to be used in a pinch.
Patch remotely near the sidewall like the original posters problem is a terrible idea. Tire flexing during installation back on the rim, and any tire flex while off road will cause the patch to fail. Where as a plug will not. Patch is not a "permanent" fix either. Still a hole in the tire.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go to a more "Hole-in-the-wall" shop they should fix it.

Quick Reply: Nail in Tire