Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Nail in Tire

Old 12-03-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll just ask in this one.

I just had my 2 back tires (stock rubi tires) plugged as they both had nails in them. The nail was not on the sidewall.

As winter is starting to hit, I won't be doing any offroading. But when summer hits. Am I S.O.L. for using these tires to go offroading? Can a plugged tire still be air down and still be safe to use offroad?

New tires are NOT in my near future, as much as I would like some larger tires.

Thanks guys
Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They'll be fine. Some people look down on plugs because they "claim" that plugging a tire breaks some of the radial plies and can possibly lead to seperation. This is total bullshit. The plug is the best repair for a tire because the rubber the plug is made from actually vulcanizes and becomes part of the tire itself when the tire gets to operating temperature. With a tire patched from the inside, the hole is still there and dirt and debris will get into the hole and work the patch loose over time. The plugs will be fine.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plug it, i had two plugs in the sidewall of my stock KMs for 4,000 miles before i replaced it. held up fine aired down rock crawling too..
Old 12-03-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I feel your pain, man. I had a huge screw stickin out of the wall of one of my tires 2 weeks after I bought it. I plugged it and threw it on the back as the spare. Then this past weekend two of my tires got torn apart while I tried to avoid trash in the road. Makes me wish I left the tire with the plug where it was, cause then I'd only be replacing one good tire and one already damaged tire.

My luck sucks. As you read more of my posts on the forum you'll realize how bad it is haha.

For now, plug it, throw it on as the spare, and be careful out there. No need to buy a new tire if you didn't plan on rotating in the spare anyway.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

I have plugged many a tire while out wheelin, even in the sidewall and they all held on and off the road. Pull the nail and plug it. If you can use it as a spare fine but if not just put it on the back and run it.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LAHAL
I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll just ask in this one.

I just had my 2 back tires (stock rubi tires) plugged as they both had nails in them. The nail was not on the sidewall.

As winter is starting to hit, I won't be doing any offroading. But when summer hits. Am I S.O.L. for using these tires to go offroading? Can a plugged tire still be air down and still be safe to use offroad?

New tires are NOT in my near future, as much as I would like some larger tires.

Thanks guys
Get them patched. A plug is only to be used in a pinch.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

As for the sidewall. Shop around you can always find a shop to patch it. Look for a small independent guy that does truck tire repair they have ways to make it hold. Most shops will give you bad time due to the liability part of it just let them now you know it is not the proper way and you will not hold them accountable.

I work for a truck tire company and know you can find someone out there to do it.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd have it repaired (either plug or patch) and throw on as spare to be used to limp back on road when you do blow a tire wheelin'.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redneckjeep
they'll be fine. Some people look down on plugs because they "claim" that plugging a tire breaks some of the radial plies and can possibly lead to seperation. This is total bullshit. The plug is the best repair for a tire because the rubber the plug is made from actually vulcanizes and becomes part of the tire itself when the tire gets to operating temperature. With a tire patched from the inside, the hole is still there and dirt and debris will get into the hole and work the patch loose over time. The plugs will be fine.
100% correct!

Quick Reply: Nail in Tire