Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mygig security?

Old 02-03-2008, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mygig security?

So, I'm thinking of getting the soft top instead of dual. I've read about how Jeeps are easy to get into and the best way to deter a thief is to just not leave anything in it. That's great and all, but what if I want one of those shiney new Mygig radios? Could they be at risk?

I read that the radios only work in the Jeep they're made for. That's great, but is a car stereo thief gonna know that? Thieves don't usually steal factory radios as much as aftermarket ones, but are they gonna know a Mygig is a factory? I'd think they would just look in the window and see the big screen in the middle of the dash and get dollar signs in their eyes...

Just wondering what ya'll think.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MyGigs could be used in other Chrysler/ Jeep vehicles... if not there wouldn't be any for sale on Ebay.

As for security... this has been a dilemma for Jeep owners since the 40s .

Some people say leave the Jeep unlocked, then you don't have as much damage. As far as the MyGig, some people hang something off the dash to cover it... I think that would attract someone even quicker.

How about a "James Bond" approach... when someone breaks in the Jeep explodes.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

It would be great if the JK came with an optional factory security alarm sensor (it senses movement in the jeep and alarm triggers).
Old 02-04-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepgreensahara
It would be great if the JK came with an optional factory security alarm sensor (it senses movement in the jeep and alarm triggers).
I had a Viper 330V and optional motion sensor installed. That particular Viper alarm uses the factory keyless entry fob, so no other remote is needed. Now I have a very bright blue LED light that blinks like crazy that only a blind thief could miss. Plus I'll have security even when I take the doors off. Plus, you'll get a discount on your insurance for the alarm upgrade. It was about $300 out the door.

Quick Reply: Mygig security?