Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Would you buy MyGig?
Yes
48.39%
No
51.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

To MyGig or Not?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To MyGig or Not?

I have to buy a vehicle this weekend, and my down to just getting a MyGig or not.

So if you were to do it again, would you my gig?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

We would absolutely buy it again
Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

didnt buy it the first time around... wouldnt buy it the second time around.

i like aftermarket.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wasn't too sure when I bought my Rubicon with the MyGig but it is sure handy to have the navigation, sirius sattelite, mp3 storage and playback, CD/DVD player,etc. With the computor upgrades (and a $20 mic) I now have voice command and U Connect which provides hands free talking via my cell phone. I would definately do it again, there is something to be said for having a factory unit with all these functions and have it look like it belongs. I like my computor on wheels.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
geo
JK Newbie

I would go aftermarket if I could do it again. I love the concept of the MyGig, but I have had problems with the unit and I find lots of annoying functionality issues that I do not like. Some of the issues I have had included
-speaker popping - fixed by dealer
-unit crashied - replaced by dealer
-dealer does not have most current software so I am stuck listening to ripped albums in alphabetical order
-when listening to a CD and the vehicle is shut off and restarted, sometimes the CD starts from where it left off, other times it starts from the beginning.
-instances where unit does not work at all - starts working after the vehicle is shut off for a while.
-no quick mute (that I know of)
-not enough sat preset buttons

I am sure there are others, just thinking off the top of my head. I am going to address the problems with dealer next time I am there so those might just related to my current unit, but two bad units in a row????

I guess the bottom line is that I am not impressed with the MyGiG for the price that it costs. (Plus no U-connect without additional mods)
Old 07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need to finance the price of your stereo within your vehicle price then go for it. If you could take the same money and put it into an aftermarket head unit you will end up with a MUCH better unit for the same money.

My $200 Magellin GPS I use at work FAR surpasses the nav in the MyGig. AND it's $199 plus 10 bucks shipping for a Nav update that they recommned yearly . Also many features you will get on an aftermarket system will be disabled in the Wrangler. If I were to do it again I would DEFINATELY go aftermarket.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default not worth the price

If its just for the navigation I would go aftermarket. Mine small enough to take with me when the top is down. No worries of anyone prying it out of the dash.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the MyGig and love it. I downloaded and installed the software update and then bought the $20 microphone, so now I have the Uconnect as well. It's pretty cool. When i'm driving with the top down, the road noise makes it tough for others to understand me when i'm talking on the phone...but when i'm stopped or if the top is on, it works like a charm. I also have my MP3 player connected as well. The hard drive is okay i guess, but I never use it...i just use my mp3 player...it's easier.

I'm sure there are better aftermarket solutions out there, but I just like the look of stock better...and it was less hassle. But of course you pay for the convenience.

I would definitely buy the MyGig again...and again.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha ha its so close..
Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Jedi

If I wanted something like that I would go aftermarket, but I think it is cool that they are optioning it.

Quick Reply: To MyGig or Not?