Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My UN-scientific theory on the wave

Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My eyes are glazing over thinking about this
Old 10-06-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Really !!!!

Originally Posted by ECHO
Very Very true!
Originally Posted by fadeout
this is the absolute truth.
Originally Posted by JerryJeff
It seems to me that people in stock jeeps never wave and people in modded jeeps always wave.
Absolutely NOT true. My Jeep is basically stock right now (just added some windshield lights and some cosmetic stuff) but I wave at every other Wrangler I see regardless of mods or not.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:22 PM
JK Freak

The list of theories needs to include "how many Wranglers will I see today". In my apartment complex there are probably ten JKs. Yes, ten. 5-6 TJs, 3-4 YJs, at least one CJ. One of the JK's is the same configuration and color as mine, cept for my mods. Oh, there might be 300 people here. It is large, but not huge. From my porch, I can see right now 4 wranglers. I can't see mine, because it is in one of the 300 garages, like many of the other wranglers. When I take my dogs to the dog park, there is just about always a Wrangler there, other than mine. Often times 3-4 out of 30-40 vehicles.

Just because I am in a new JK and don't wave to you doesn't mean I don't "get" the wave, and it doesn't mean I won't return it. But the JK did in a way break and or kill the wave. When I was driving my TJ around, it was a "manly" vehicle. Every bump was felt, every noise was heard. There was rust on the floor, and no creature comforts other than a heater. Being young and stupid I didn't even buckle up when the doors were off. This type of vehicle wasn't very popular except to a certain type of person, and as a result - it WAS a special club. The JK is a lot different, it is comfortable, rides like glass for a wrangler, it is quiet, pretty safe, etc, etc. As a result - lots of "non Jeep" people are buying it. It isn't a special club anymore, just about anybody but consumer reports can tolerate and enjoy the ride of a JK - can't say that for a CJ.

So I think in addition to the doors off/on, top off/on, modded or not factors you have to add:

1) How popular are Wranglers in your specific area? I have lived my entire life either right next to the mountains in various cities along the front range of Colorado - or actually in the mountains of Colorado. Wranglers have always been popular, but with the JK their presence on the road has exploded. Even if I get the idea and support it - I am not going to give the Jeep wave 200 times/day. If you live in the country and see two a day, waving isn't a big deal.

2) Who is the owner? Jeep type? Or just a vehicle owner? Certain areas are bound to have more "Jeep type" owners (beach, mountains, remote, etc) but they are also a LOT more likely to have new type owners who bought the vehicle for its merits alone - and have no ties to the original culture. If the owner of the JK previously owned a CJ, YJ, TJ you are probably WAY more likely to recieve a wave. People who went out and bought a great vehicle because it was a great vehicle are probably wondering why some middle aged man is waving to them.

The Jeep wave IMHO is probably going to die out a bit, but that is because the JK (in addition to being more capable off road) is now a suitable vehicle for a much broader group - whereas to actually buy and drive a TJ or earlier, you really HAD to want to be able to take the top down, go off road, drive in water, etc - the vehicle DID NOT sell itself (oh, bad gas mileage, a harsh ride, poor safety, and a high price tag to boot? Hmmm. Sounds like a great DD LOL). The JK does. Someone can buy the JK just because it rides well and has 4x4 - nobody was buying CJs for that reason and as a result you didn't see many of them. The mods, doors off, top off are just a cue that the Jeep driver is probably a "Jeep driver" in culture not just ownership.

I think you will always be able to wave and recieve to a Jeep Culture type driver, but with the VAST improvements in the vehicle - you don't need that off road freedom desire in order to justify buying one. It isn't something to get butthurt about. Maybe we need some sort of "Original Jeeper" stickers.

/end ramble
Old 10-07-2010, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rickyj
The list of theories needs to include "how many Wranglers will I see today". In my apartment complex there are probably ten JKs. Yes, ten. 5-6 TJs, 3-4 YJs, at least one CJ. One of the JK's is the same configuration and color as mine, cept for my mods. Oh, there might be 300 people here. It is large, but not huge. From my porch, I can see right now 4 wranglers. I can't see mine, because it is in one of the 300 garages, like many of the other wranglers. When I take my dogs to the dog park, there is just about always a Wrangler there, other than mine. Often times 3-4 out of 30-40 vehicles.

Just because I am in a new JK and don't wave to you doesn't mean I don't "get" the wave, and it doesn't mean I won't return it. But the JK did in a way break and or kill the wave. When I was driving my TJ around, it was a "manly" vehicle. Every bump was felt, every noise was heard. There was rust on the floor, and no creature comforts other than a heater. Being young and stupid I didn't even buckle up when the doors were off. This type of vehicle wasn't very popular except to a certain type of person, and as a result - it WAS a special club. The JK is a lot different, it is comfortable, rides like glass for a wrangler, it is quiet, pretty safe, etc, etc. As a result - lots of "non Jeep" people are buying it. It isn't a special club anymore, just about anybody but consumer reports can tolerate and enjoy the ride of a JK - can't say that for a CJ.

So I think in addition to the doors off/on, top off/on, modded or not factors you have to add:

1) How popular are Wranglers in your specific area? I have lived my entire life either right next to the mountains in various cities along the front range of Colorado - or actually in the mountains of Colorado. Wranglers have always been popular, but with the JK their presence on the road has exploded. Even if I get the idea and support it - I am not going to give the Jeep wave 200 times/day. If you live in the country and see two a day, waving isn't a big deal.

2) Who is the owner? Jeep type? Or just a vehicle owner? Certain areas are bound to have more "Jeep type" owners (beach, mountains, remote, etc) but they are also a LOT more likely to have new type owners who bought the vehicle for its merits alone - and have no ties to the original culture. If the owner of the JK previously owned a CJ, YJ, TJ you are probably WAY more likely to recieve a wave. People who went out and bought a great vehicle because it was a great vehicle are probably wondering why some middle aged man is waving to them.

The Jeep wave IMHO is probably going to die out a bit, but that is because the JK (in addition to being more capable off road) is now a suitable vehicle for a much broader group - whereas to actually buy and drive a TJ or earlier, you really HAD to want to be able to take the top down, go off road, drive in water, etc - the vehicle DID NOT sell itself (oh, bad gas mileage, a harsh ride, poor safety, and a high price tag to boot? Hmmm. Sounds like a great DD LOL). The JK does. Someone can buy the JK just because it rides well and has 4x4 - nobody was buying CJs for that reason and as a result you didn't see many of them. The mods, doors off, top off are just a cue that the Jeep driver is probably a "Jeep driver" in culture not just ownership.

I think you will always be able to wave and recieve to a Jeep Culture type driver, but with the VAST improvements in the vehicle - you don't need that off road freedom desire in order to justify buying one. It isn't something to get butthurt about. Maybe we need some sort of "Original Jeeper" stickers.

/end ramble
I'm thinking that you take yourself a little too seriously. Im not thinking that this thread was intended to be a serious scientific experiment. Just some BSing between fellow Jeepers. You say youre an "Original Jeeper" but I doubt you were bouncing around in the war in the "original". Personally, I dont give a crap if you wave or not, I just wont tow your ass out when your stuck.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
3 -Theories for sunny days
[Three excellent mathematical postulations deleted for brevity] ...
P= "Your Boned" - correlates to a 0% shot of getting a wave.
You were obviously a math major (not English).
Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You were obviously a math major (not English).
haha...Math was a minor at University and English was a whole different story!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FlameRed
The amount of waive backs you get is directly proportional to the amount of modifications on your jeep. Can't figure out if it is because it stands out more so there is less chance of missing it (like HappyC said) or other reason.

I have gotten it to the point that all of my friends (who don't have jeeps and thought I was crazy at first) are waiving at jeeps while they are in my jeep with me. Its a big game on the way to lunch now, whoever yell out "JEEP!!!" first and waives wins.
The reason is simple. A person who mods their Jeep is more likely to be familiar with Jeep related things, such as the wave.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:47 PM
JK Freak

This thread makes my brain itch
Old 10-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Here's a wave from Johnny for all you so called "Jeepers" who like to stereotype other Jeepers (i.e. JK killed the wave, non modded JKs don't wave, 4 door JKs don't wave).

Enjoy the wave!!!

I've gotten just as many waves from Soccer moms and unmodded 50+ year old yuppy JKers, as I have from you modded Jeepers with your nose stuck up in the air. Maybe if you spent as much time waving as you do in trying to stereotype people who don't, then you would get more waves from these Jeepers.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Here's a wave from Johnny for all you so called "Jeepers" who like to stereotype other Jeepers (i.e. JK killed the wave, non modded JKs don't wave, 4 door JKs don't wave).

Enjoy the wave!!!

I've gotten just as many waves from Soccer moms and unmodded 50+ year old yuppy JKers, as I have from you modded Jeepers with your nose stuck up in the air. Maybe if you spent as much time waving as you do in trying to stereotype people who don't, then you would get more waves from these Jeepers.
wow grumpy much? I personally believe this was posted with a fun intent.

Quick Reply: My UN-scientific theory on the wave