Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My trick for no hard-top leaks...

Old 10-09-2007, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My trick for no hard-top leaks...

I do soem serious underwater photography as a hobby, and one thing you learn early on is to keep your o-rings clean. Dirt equals a flooded camera.

So, with that same idea in mind, I now leave a container of "Wet Ones" (wet baby wipes in a plastic container) under the seat. Before putting back the hard-top panels, I clean all the seals with a baby whipe. Result = no more leaks. :-) I also do the same to the door seals whenever we wash the car - just in case.

js.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default wet ones

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
I do soem serious underwater photography as a hobby, and one thing you learn early on is to keep your o-rings clean. Dirt equals a flooded camera.

So, with that same idea in mind, I now leave a container of "Wet Ones" (wet baby wipes in a plastic container) under the seat. Before putting back the hard-top panels, I clean all the seals with a baby whipe. Result = no more leaks. :-) I also do the same to the door seals whenever we wash the car - just in case.

js.
I have a three month old so I am also familliar with wet ones. I'll have to add this to my list of a thousand other uses for them.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea, since we have about a million packages of these kicking around the house I will have to stash some in the Jeep.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsmoriss

js.
Nice tip, thanks JS.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you think the wet ones are safe for the seals?? I would think they would dry out the seals.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racer83l
you think the wet ones are safe for the seals?? I would think they would dry out the seals.
Alcohol and rubber don't mix. There isn't any in wet ones or at least there wasn't last time I looked. Plus my kid's butt doesn't dry out at all, it's always wet.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 AM
JK Newbie

Will applying silicone grease to the seals like what we do in underwater photoghraphy equipment do?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Those things were originally designed for keeping O-rings clean! Heck, every now and then, I still use one on my own O-ring.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by brestman
Will applying silicone grease to the seals like what we do in underwater photoghraphy equipment do?
I wouldn't do that. The seals attract enough dirt and dust as it is. :-)

I _did_ spray some automotive silicone on all the seals though. It dries so you can't even tell it's there, and it keeps ice from sticking to the door seals in winter.

js.

Quick Reply: My trick for no hard-top leaks...