Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My JK was on NBCnews last night....was yours?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
If that's you pull your head out and don't text!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's why people shouldnt text and drive!!!!

Watch this!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF0_7qC6YFo

That comment of ...."You get better at it as you do it" That's crazy man!

Maybe if you go bang your head against the wall YOU WILL GET BETTER AT THAT TOO!!!

Seriously man....people die cause of that crap!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pingtime
Well I still disagree with you. none of your business what i'm doing in my car, just drive defensively and you'll be all right, and just for the record, Liberity is being able to live YOUR life the way YOU want to not having other people live the way you think they should.
Yeah, that's what the arsehole blocking the passing lane AND going 10mph under the speed limit was thinking.

Finally able to pass him on the right I glance over and the dumbass was texting.

It was so fun to blow my horn. Phone went flying and he flipped me off at the same time. But it was oh so rewarding to see the look of terror on his face.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Unfortunately, you can't legislate common sense. We have a law here that makes texting and driving illegal. People still text.

My husband was rear ended while stopped at a light in 2006 so hard it totalled his 2500 heavy duty Dodge Ram. The mini van was buried under his truck to it's firewall.

In January 2009 I was in a 4 car pile up. The girl 3 cars behind me in a camaro was shoved under a 250 Ford truck and had to be cut out of her burning car. My car had 20K in damage.

My insurance paid both accidents because in my husband's case, no insurance and in my case the guy took off and they never caught him.

If someone ever hits me again and I get a hold of them....they might not survive the experience. So please don't text and drive, it might be your life you save
Old 09-12-2009, 08:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pingtime
I can’t believe what I am reading in here. Every year some new issue comes up and every one jumps on the band wagon. That’s why we are loosing so many of our off road trails. I say we don’t need any more laws. How many of you complaining about this texting while driving issue owns a gun? You are looking at this unsafe driving issue the same way anti gun groups look at you, and it is the same thing. You say “I’m not going to go out and just shoot some one”, but other people do. I say that until I have actually harmed someone or damaged property that I have committed no crime. If you really have to do something then make the penalty, for causing harm or damage while doing these things, more severe. WE DON’T NEED ANY MORE LAWS. STOP BEING AFRAID OF EVERY THING.
^^^People like this is why we need to have a LAW to ban "Text While Driving"^^^
Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

you can say its our rights to do it, you can say its dangerous. both sides of this argument are right. i agree with the OP we are all guranteed one thing in life, and that is death, what we do before then is up to us personaly i'm going to enjoy myself doing what i like to do, mostly everything outdoors which involves danger but its up to ourselves to do them safely. if we do these things safely thats great!! if we don't and we die, well $hit happens. what ever your views are ppl are going to do what ppl are going to do. the days of caring about our fellow man are done. its a sad truth but ppl today care for themselves and no one else. i txt alot, but i don't txt and drive that often. it is impossible to talk on the phone when the top and doors are off. if its a convo that is necessary i'll send a txt to the effect of "driving my heep hollar at u in a bit" (yes hollar i'm from ky) and i'm on the side of the arugument that thinks txting is more effective thank just talking on the phone, its quick and efficient. comparing TWD to drunk driving is idiotic. drunk driving is far more dangerous, u may not pay attention while TWD but when you look up AT LEAST YOU ARE COHERENT to what is going on and you can correct asap. where a DD won't.

and do we really want to bother our police with another useless task?? the only time our cops pull ppl for no seat belt is when they get a bonus. they have far more important things to do. i would rather police be concentrating on stopping drug dealers, or anyone involved with the distrobution, or use of drugs. that is a far bigger issue than TWD, drug use/addiction ruin more lives and kill more ppl than TWD. so i say let the police stay busy with things that really matter rather giving them a task they wont' be able efficently do.

don't remeber who posted this, but txting on the touch screen phones is easy! i have larger fingers (played O line in college) simply turn ur txting finger to 45 degree angle so a smaller surface area is touching the phone. thats the only way i can do it. hope it helps out a bit
Old 09-13-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where I live, cell phone use while driving is a moving violation. Traffic judges are now doubling fines and points for conviction of texting while driving. The County Sheriff has ordered confiscation of phones if caught texting (evidential rules permit this) beginning in 2010. Get caught twice over an 18 month period and you will have your license suspended.

There is a Bill in a NY State Assembly committee to change the "no fault" status of a driver when their texting causes or contributes to an accident. What that means is that your insurance company can deny coverage to repair damage to your car if, while texting, you had an accident. Insurance companies will be able to obtain phone records if the police report states that a cell phone was in use at the time of an accident. The Bill also has a provision that declares the texting driver as automatically being at fault for the accident. However, your insurance company may not deny coverage for any damage or injury to other parties.

So, if you wreck while texting, you will foot the bill for your car's repair.

Word is that this Bill has enough support in the committee to eventually go before the Assembly for a vote. I've spoken to my Assembly representative and asked that he support the Bill (although he admitted that he hadn't heard of it).

As to those who think that texting while driving is okay, or a right (LOLOLOL), I'll simply quote Forrest Gump: "Stupid is what stupid does."

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-13-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rubious
comparing TWD to drunk driving is idiotic. drunk driving is far more dangerous, u may not pay attention while TWD but when you look up AT LEAST YOU ARE COHERENT to what is going on and you can correct asap. where a DD won't.
You could not be more wrong... This has been tested by various State and Federal agencies, as well as by several prominent automotive magazines. Each study concluded that texting while driving is at least as likely and often MORE LIKELY to cause an accident than driving with a .08% blood alcohol level (threshold DUI for most States).

So, stop trying to justify doing something galactically stupid because you think that you have ninja driving skills... You don't, and you clearly have limited logic skills as well. Most people are marginal drivers to begin with, especially young people. Don't delude yourself... Stop texting at the wheel before it catches up with you and some other poor slob you hit.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-19-2009, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Widewing
You could not be more wrong... This has been tested by various State and Federal agencies, as well as by several prominent automotive magazines. Each study concluded that texting while driving is at least as likely and often MORE LIKELY to cause an accident than driving with a .08% blood alcohol level (threshold DUI for most States).

So, stop trying to justify doing something galactically stupid because you think that you have ninja driving skills... You don't, and you clearly have limited logic skills as well. Most people are marginal drivers to begin with, especially young people. Don't delude yourself... Stop texting at the wheel before it catches up with you and some other poor slob you hit.

My regards,

Widewing
What he said ^^
Old 09-19-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by amt97
What he said ^^

I seriously can't believe people are actually agruing in favor of being able to text while driving still. I have to guess that they're under 25 and just rather oblivious to just how big a distraction it can be. And obviously it's not always a huge distraction and there's not always going to be a situation where it's dangerous, and in that respect it very closely mirrors drinking and driving too.

Here's a trained professional texting while driving. He must need more practice...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCHdZxO4_tQ
Who doesn't remember seeing that on the news? And it's not as though it was a freak occurance. Sorry if the video is a repost in the thread, but since people still seem to be arguing that it's not a distraction, I thought a refresher course was in order.

Last edited by SaharaBlackNo1; 09-19-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: My JK was on NBCnews last night....was yours?