Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My JK was on NBCnews last night....was yours?

Old 08-02-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it's the point that planman was making was about people dying that text only, I think it was more about THEM causing other people to die . I personally would like to increase my chances of living as long as I can. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't the phone companys disable text via built in gps once a set speed is reached? Just a thought.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:09 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Livewire
Couldn't the phone companys disable text via built in gps once a set speed is reached? Just a thought.
Oh, no, no, NO!!!! That would take away your right to be distracted while driving.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:20 AM
JK Junkie

That can't be done as it would take away your right to not use common sense and DWT until you kill somebody.....
Old 08-03-2009, 03:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
I agree with this guy mostly b/c I am Libertarian leaning. I will tell you another reason why, lots of laws don't work and can even make it worse. How are cops going to enforce that? Staring into everyone's car watching for texting. Now I was being humorous in my news spot about people practicing and stuff. But, in a way I really feel that it is possible to significantly reduce the danger. For instance, with predictive text I never even look at the message I am typing AT ALL. Hold the phone at 12 o'clock and glance to see message sent. It might seem crazy to older people, but I can fully operate my cell phone from memory without looking at it at all. Its just like how I have not had to look at the keys to type this post. My point is people will not stop doing this, making a law will make people hold the phone lower so the cops can't see....thus increasing the danger. If you took a sample of 10 people may 1 or 2 would totally stop TWD all the time, 8-9 others would just keep the phone lower and increase the risk hugely.
As libertarian, I do not believe that my rights should cross the point of interfering with the rights of another.

Once you decide to text and drive, you have increased the chances of an accident by 50%, you have imposed on my right of the expectation of safe drivers around me......unless you support drunk driving you can't support this unless you are a hypocrite.....by your logic, a drunk driver has the same right as you or me.....until they kill somebody, then thier rights are out the door.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:46 AM
gpb
JK Enthusiast

Interesting thought. How do they know if the phone user is the driver or a passenger?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by gpb
Interesting thought. How do they know if the phone user is the driver or a passenger?
You would have to type in a very long sequence of characters as displayed on the screen, within a short period of time. The driver would probably die trying, or kill someone else. Only the passenger could do it without causing an accident. Either way, service would be denied to the driver.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
Later this morning, I discussed this thread with my 16 year old son. We made a pact that neither of us would text, email, or use the internet on our cell phones while driving.

One of those 50% of drivers age 18-24, 27% of drivers 25-34, or 19% of drivers 35-44 may kill or injure one of my family or me, but none of us will negligently kill one of them.
That is good. See my thread has DECREASED TWD (at least for this family.) This whole issue is funny to me b/c TWD is something I HAVE TO do once in a blue moon, and even I am cutting back severely now.

Originally Posted by planman
DUI laws don't completely stop people from driving under the influence and injuring or killing other people either.

Using your argument, we should we get rid of DUI laws. What are the point of DUI laws then?
IMO, DUI is much easier to enforce than TWD. However, DUI laws are a great example of laws that are often abused by the police. I never Drink and Drive, (hardly drink in general) but, at 25yoa I have submitted to two breathalyzers while totally sober. I have been asked to "step out of the car" an additional time. I am always polite (until an officer assumes I don't know my rights) and have my license and registration ready.

STORY:In that particular time when I didn't have to take it (breathalyzer) I was pulled over for "not maintaining my lane" (swerving I guess) this was of course ridiculous (but how would I prove that in court) then I was told "I am just going to take a look in the car"....NO, you're not. Then a whole song and dance about how I am being difficult, and "I can just call on the radio to get a warrant....and you DON'T WANT that." OK, call and get a warrant. What do ya know? After sitting us on the side of the road for 30 minutes FOR NOTHING. "Slow down and get out of here." I thought I was swerving WTF? In reality it's just a 23-year old cop pulling me over for being on the road with a good-looking girl at 2 a.m.

So, do I really need to give this guy the power to say...."I saw some type of light in your car." I know I will get just more of the same...."you are infringing on others rights and safety"....."OH, I guess we should just let everyone drive hammered than too and kill my beautiful daughter and wife".....right I guess that's what I'm saying...NOT (old-school Wayne's World tell me you guys at least remember that) I am just saying that the police have to much power already in this country, and in my personal experiences it has been used more for harassment than my benefit. I could see how a good cop would disagree.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

BTW this is what I think of the logic that has restricted my freedoms the last 10 years....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlHnpZsMMXc
Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you cant live in fear of things, cause life will suck

live your life day by day

Quick Reply: My JK was on NBCnews last night....was yours?