Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My JK was on NBCnews last night....was yours?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:37 AM
gpb
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this guy apparently thought he could text and talk and drive.

Guess which one didn't work out so good?
Old 08-01-2009, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I can’t believe what I am reading in here

I can’t believe what I am reading in here. Every year some new issue comes up and every one jumps on the band wagon. That’s why we are loosing so many of our off road trails. I say we don’t need any more laws. How many of you complaining about this texting while driving issue owns a gun? You are looking at this unsafe driving issue the same way anti gun groups look at you, and it is the same thing. You say “I’m not going to go out and just shoot some one”, but other people do. I say that until I have actually harmed someone or damaged property that I have committed no crime. If you really have to do something then make the penalty, for causing harm or damage while doing these things, more severe. WE DON’T NEED ANY MORE LAWS. STOP BEING AFRAID OF EVERY THING.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pingtime
I can’t believe what I am reading in here. Every year some new issue comes up and every one jumps on the band wagon. That’s why we are loosing so many of our off road trails. I say we don’t need any more laws. How many of you complaining about this texting while driving issue owns a gun? You are looking at this unsafe driving issue the same way anti gun groups look at you, and it is the same thing. You say “I’m not going to go out and just shoot some one”, but other people do. I say that until I have actually harmed someone or damaged property that I have committed no crime. If you really have to do something then make the penalty, for causing harm or damage while doing these things, more severe. WE DON’T NEED ANY MORE LAWS. STOP BEING AFRAID OF EVERY THING.
WOW......that statement is wrong on so many levels.

I own a gun and yes I am complaining about texting while driving. I would also complain about someone driving on the highway and target shooting. Both handling a gun and handling an auto deserve your full attention, not 1/2 your attention on each one. When your actions lead to putting others lives and thier liberty at risk....yes a law needs to put into affect. I suppose you feel people should be allowed to drive drunk until they kill somebady too. I mean why should there be a law if you have not killed anybody yet, right.

As for new laws.....as long as technology improves and there are new inventions, laws need to be imposed to handle the new inventions.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I still disagree with you. none of your business what i'm doing in my car, just drive defensively and you'll be all right, and just for the record, Liberity is being able to live YOUR life the way YOU want to not having other people live the way you think they should.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by falconfixer
I for one am happy about the strict laws we have up here concerning cell phones. Last word is they are trying to pass it where if you are caught texting and driving, the penalties will be the same as a DUI. And a second TWD will be the same as a second DUI. It's got my vote

There's huge differences between texting while driving and driving under the influence. To have them share similar penalties is ridiculous. I'm no supporter of "twd" but don't really see a way to enforce legislation against it without hampering liberty.

"Do you know why I pulled you over son?"

"No, what's wrong"

"You were texting while driving"

"Well no I wasn't, I-"

"Tell the judge"

But what if the person in question was texting at a red light, not while driving, but that red light was just a few minutes ago, so his timestamp on the text says 3:04 and the ticket says 3:07 (close enough that it could be blamed on the officer's watch being a few minutes fast).
Old 08-01-2009, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see the problem with it in the built up urban areas where there are pedestrians and kids around, but I am guilty of it sometimes when someone calls me and my top and doors are off. I usually just text back one of my saved template messages "Driving topless/doorless!!! Call you back later." It's really hard to talk on the phone on the highway with the wind/tire noise.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.
Kyle I love how many different ways your thread has gone. I guess kinda knowing your sense of humor from wheeling and campfire brews I was able to get a full belly laugh from this.

On another note ... I don't text while driving ( damn jk-forum mobi )

sent from my iPhone while driving.

Thanks man. Yeah, I have gotten a kick out of it. Apparently texting while driving is quite a hot-button issue.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Every year some new issue comes up and every one jumps on the band wagon. That’s why we are loosing so many of our off road trails. I say we don’t need any more laws.....I say that until I have actually harmed someone or damaged property that I have committed no crime. If you really have to do something then make the penalty, for causing harm or damage while doing these things, more severe. WE DON’T NEED ANY MORE LAWS. STOP BEING AFRAID OF EVERY THING.
I agree with this guy mostly b/c I am Libertarian leaning. I will tell you another reason why, lots of laws don't work and can even make it worse. How are cops going to enforce that? Staring into everyone's car watching for texting. Now I was being humorous in my news spot about people practicing and stuff. But, in a way I really feel that it is possible to significantly reduce the danger. For instance, with predictive text I never even look at the message I am typing AT ALL. Hold the phone at 12 o'clock and glance to see message sent. It might seem crazy to older people, but I can fully operate my cell phone from memory without looking at it at all. Its just like how I have not had to look at the keys to type this post. My point is people will not stop doing this, making a law will make people hold the phone lower so the cops can't see....thus increasing the danger. If you took a sample of 10 people may 1 or 2 would totally stop TWD all the time, 8-9 others would just keep the phone lower and increase the risk hugely.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
The numerous news stories/studies should settle this issue. Here are just 6:

CANANDAIGUA, N.Y. — Text messages were sent and received on a 17-year-old driver's cell phone moments before the sport utility vehicle slammed head-on into a truck, killing her and four other recent high school graduates, police said.

A recent study by Findlaw.com found that nearly half of drivers 18-24 admit to texting or emailing via cell phone while driving. The study of 1,000 Americans also found that 27 percent of adults aged 25 to 34 and 19 percent of adults aged 35 to 44 admit to texting as well.

The University of Utah found that the risk for a car accident increases by 50 percent for those who text while driving. AAA reports that the risk for a car accident also double for those drivers who take their eyes off the road for only two seconds, and that 80 percent of car accidents involve some sort of inattention.

Investigators Say Train Engineer Texting Seconds Before Crash
Oct 2, 2008 | Parker Waichman Alonso LLP
Federal investigators just confirmed that the engineer of the commuter train that collided with a freight train in California was texting on his cellphone seconds before the crash. Twenty-five people were killed and over 130 were injured in the September 12 crash. Authorities continue to work to determine if the engineer was sending text messages at the time his train failed to stop for a red signal, which is what led to the deadly collision.

Investigators are also working to draw links with the time on the phone and train and signal recorder data. The last message the engineer received was at 4:21:03, more than one minute prior to impact; the final message he sent was at 4:22:01, just 22 seconds before the trains collided. The trains—a Metrolink commuter and a Union Pacific freight—were traveling at about 40 miles an hour.

CHEYENNE -- State Sen. Floyd Esquibel has been concerned about distracted drivers for about a decade.

He has consistently brought bills to prohibit cell phone use and sending electronic messages while driving as a member of the Wyoming House of Representatives.

There were five fatalities in 2008 in which troopers listed an electronic device as a contributing factor. Those killed were 23, 21, two at 17 and a 16-year-old.

Deaths put focus on texting, driving
Brent Whiting
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 15, 2007 12:00 AM

The deaths of two Arizona women this week are shifting focus back on potential state legislation to ban the practice of text-messaging behind the wheel.

Peoria police investigators believe Ashley D. Miller, 18, of Glendale, drifted across the center line because she was text-messaging on her cellphone. Miller collided with Stacey A. Stubbs, 40, of Chino Valley, police said.
OK, I have to say something about this. I am probably going to catch all kinds all sh*t for saying this...but I don't care because I am right. First, these are all sad stories, it is terrible all those people died. But here is my point....PEOPLE DIE....that's what they do. One thing everyone has in common on this forum is that one day we will all die. I just hate that every time any issue is discussed it's "....someone died" or "....I have a wife and kids and they could die." Yep, they could die. So could you, every time you walk out the door your life is at some risk. Could you imagine if our ancestors thought like this....horses are dangerous....farm work is dangerous....guns are dangerous. I know my dad knew people who died in farm accidents, but we need farming. Every year in the south a couple kids drop dead from a combo of heat and ridiculous exercise involved in high school/college sports. Then is "well ya got to take it easy, someone died," should we abandon sports? I agree conditioning can be done safer, but teams like Miami have to play games @ noon or 3 when its almost 100 degrees with 112 heat index. From alcohol prohibition, to gun control, to off-roading/moto land use, the "someone could die/has died" point is always there. Alcohol kills....I like beer. Guns can kill....I like guns. Wheeling can be very dangerous....I like it. Winches can kill people...I just put my new XRC-10 on I just hate the whole "someone died" point. If I die from something that has danger (everything does) just please don't use that death as a point to tell people how they should live there lives and what they should/should not do.
So, NO the above quoted post does not simply "settle the issue" in your way AT ALL for me.

Here is a great site: http://www.popculturemadness.com/Tri...eath-Odds.html

Gives your odds of dying in various ways and how to avoid them. I see my death by tsunami odds are down to 1 in 500,000 so I guess I'm moving off the beach....girlfriend is gonna be pissed.

Last edited by 07armygreen; 08-02-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say that until I have actually harmed someone or damaged property that I have committed no crime.
So DUI, as an example, should be criminalized only once you torpedo my teenage daughter or my spouse after a night of binge drinking...

Reality: Many laws on the books are designed to protect people from themselves as well as those around them. Legislating for the lowest common denominator if you will. As a conservative, I don't like it any more than you do, but it is what it is.

People are typically oblivious to data relative to distracted driving and accident rates. If they were privy to the facts, they would put down their cell phones and Blackberries and there would be no need for DWT laws.

I'd hope at this point the OP regrets starting the thread and his interview with the media. There is no defense for texting from behind the wheel of a moving automobile... and if you think you can articulate one, I'll invite you along for the next death notification I have to deliver to a sobbing mother or husband.

Last edited by opdsgt; 08-02-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: My JK was on NBCnews last night....was yours?