Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My JK was on NBCnews last night....was yours?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this mean I need to stop carrying on text conversations on my Harley?
iPhones make things too easy.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
Does this mean I need to stop carrying on text conversations on my Harley?
iPhones make things too easy.
You do that too?? It's a little harder when it's raining.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:36 AM
JK Jedi

I'm generally a personal rights advocate, but when it comes to driving, talking on the phone, eating, and ESPECIALLY texting annoy the hell out of me. Can't count how many times some idiot (usually a young driver) has drifted into my lane because of their stupid phone. People texting at stop lights is also a huge hassel, of course they are always the last one to make the light after they delay the line by 10 or 15 seconds. And for the record I do text, and will be getting a "smart phone" soon, just won't be using it while on the road.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:58 AM
JK Freak

Texting while driving is EXTREMELY dangerous...I've done it a few times and I consider myself an experienced driver and multitask well. But hell! It's not the same as drinking coffee or TALKING on the cell, it's worse, especially with the iPhone with it's touch screen (I love my 3GS). It requires to much attention with spell checking and stuff.

As far as talking on the phone while driving, well, there are a lot of other distractions that equal that. I'm pretty good driving and talking, especially through speaker phone. But texting.....I'd rather not die, someelse die, or wreck my Jeep. I'll wait.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubya
... I just had some knucklehead float into my lane on the interstate TODAY- saw the phone in his hand, clearly texting some important info. ...
Don't kid yourself: I see everyday this and other stupid driving mistakes, many of which could, in the right circumstances, lead to an accident. And those people are merely talking on their phones, not texting. Texting and driving is a horrible idea, but even carrying on a conversation with someone not in the vehicle causes serious driver inattention. I know that eventually we're going to come to our senses and totally outlaw it, including hands-free. My only questions are: How much damage must we cause; how many people must be injured, maimed and killed before we come to our collective senses?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
... I wanna see someone text while descending a steep rocky decline, now that sir would be skillful.
We were at a JK-Forum Midwest Disney run last year and my son was driving down a very steep slope on Panty Hill. His phone rings and he briskly loosens his whiteknuckled grip on the steering wheel to throw it at me saying, "Here, answer that, please!" I do and it's his girlfriend, "Hi, Mr. Doiron, could I speak to Curtis please?" "Sorry, Tiffany, he's rather busy right now. May I have him call you when we get to the bottom of this hill?"
Old 07-30-2009, 04:36 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Don't kid yourself: I see everyday this and other stupid driving mistakes, many of which could, in the right circumstances, lead to an accident. And those people are merely talking on their phones, not texting. Texting and driving is a horrible idea, but even carrying on a conversation with someone not in the vehicle causes serious driver inattention. I know that eventually we're going to come to our senses and totally outlaw it, including hands-free. My only questions are: How much damage must we cause; how many people must be injured, maimed and killed before we come to our collective senses?
I agree on outlawing it all. How ironic that technology has allowed for vehicles to get much safer, yet that same technological progress has allowed for distractions that make the driver less safe.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Put the link up again, I need a good chuckle. lol I was ready to jump on the bandwagon and bash, but you explained yourself, so maybe a quick edit in the first post to mention the editing or point to the post number where you explain how they filmed you.

I used to text while driving with my old phone, because I could do it with one hand and almost never look at the keys (using the number pad and t9). When I got my new LG phone with the touchscreen front and flip open keyboard, i stopped. I can barely type on that thing when I'm sitting on the couch, I don't know how anyone can do it while driving. And trying to use the touchscreen with my big fingers even on the couch I can't type anything anyone can read. lol
Old 07-30-2009, 04:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Safety issues aside, I don't understand why texting is so popular. Isn't it much more efficient to talk to the other person?
My question correctly indicates I do not text. It's always easier to talk. And another thing I don't understand is the need to be in constant touch with someone who is not one of the people around you at the time.
I'm not bashing anyone here. I'm just asking.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:03 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Safety issues aside, I don't understand why texting is so popular. Isn't it much more efficient to talk to the other person?
My question correctly indicates I do not text. It's always easier to talk. And another thing I don't understand is the need to be in constant touch with someone who is not one of the people around you at the time.
I'm not bashing anyone here. I'm just asking.

I tend to agree, though I do text and it is convenient to stay in quick contact, or ask a quick question, often when a phone conversation is not possible. It is also nice because I can ask a question in the store or where-ever and not have to subject everyone around me with my half of the phone conversation (another pet-peev of mine). I don't text "the leanguage" though, so my texting is to a minimum, as I insist on texting in proper sentence form.

Quick Reply: My JK was on NBCnews last night....was yours?