Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My JK was on NBCnews last night....was yours?

Old 07-29-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one am happy about the strict laws we have up here concerning cell phones. Last word is they are trying to pass it where if you are caught texting and driving, the penalties will be the same as a DUI. And a second TWD will be the same as a second DUI. It's got my vote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I say they should just place sensors in our vehicles and when ever we take our hands of the steering wheel or or eyes off the road that we should get life in prison.

Last edited by pingtime; 07-29-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
07armygreen -- you kinda dug yourself a grave with this thread. I don't know how many people are going to like this. My 2 cents is I do think it was cool you were on the news, and it was kind of funny. But "practicing" and being confident with texting while driving is kind of, well... dumb.
OH MY GOD, NEVER KNEW THIS WOULD BE SO TERRIBLE, damn did I miss the part where I ran over an old lady with a stroller? Get a sense of humor. I know I dug a grave, but that's life who cares. Just goes to show though, I can only imagine the scrutiny of people who are actually on TV on a regular basis go through. I mean the whole thing was edited down a lot.

Put yourself in my shoes..... I'm walking out of class (I go to school for chiropractic btw) just got out of 6 hours of lecture and lab. I see a news truck parked literally 20 feet from my JEEP. I get in my JEEP and start sending my girlfriend a text BEFORE PUTTING THE KEY IN THE IGNITION. I look up and the biggest camera I have ever seen is right in my face. A reporter asks me if I would answer a question for NBC. Sidebar: Lately with Mr. Obama's healthcare bill there has been a lot of talk....yada...yada....point is I DEFINITELY thought it was about healthcare and/or chiropractic. Then she tells me what it is about and (filming all the while) immediatley asks me this question, "The Department of Motor Vehicle Safety has released a study stating that texting while driving is in MUCH MORE DANGEROUS THAN DRUNK DRIVING....how do you respond to that?"

I state that I think drunk driving is WAY MORE DANGEROUS and that people should refrain from either one. She than asked if I ever text and drive...being honest I admit that sometimes I do, but compared to most people I rarely text or use my cell at all. If you knew me on a personal level you would know that I am semi-anti tech. I have an old cheap phone, barely text, and don't have Facebook (rare for a student these days.) She than asked if it worries me that people text and drive.... I said, "depends on the person." She asked what I meant I jokingly replied that it is a skill like anything else (juggling, basketball, whatever) and that perhaps if people HAVE TO DO IT they should practice. THAT 7 SECONDS IS WHAT MADE THE NEWS.

Then, they even asked me if they could ride around the parking lot to get a shot of someone texting and driving...HA. By the way if YOU HAVE EVER been to Port Orange, FL...its 35-45mph and LOTS OF SLOW DRIVING OLD PEOPLE....I NEVER HAVE TO GET ON THE INTERSTATE. Not saying its good to do...but, I am from Atlanta and I would never think of trying that sh*t on I-75.

Last edited by 07armygreen; 07-29-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pingtime
I say they should just place sensors in our vehicles and when ever we take our hands of the steering wheel or or eyes off the road that we should get life in prison.

Baltchief- truly sorry for your loss. I have lost friends to car accidents and it is horrible.

I have removed the link, guess it's not for everyone. This forum has always been positive and helpful for me the last 2 years, I will keep it that way. I thought it was cool to see my JEEP on the news and make fun of my raccoon tan...shoot me. I now wonder how athletes deal with seeing the edited version of what they say....its crazy how it turns out. But I must say, if the best thing you have tonight is post calling me retarded, an ass, insinuate that I advocate drunk driving, or tell me "if your not dead." Get a life and a sense of humor. I agree it came out half-retarded...that's FUNNY. I enjoy poking gun at myself. I am more passive on the net than in real life (opposite of many I think) so I don't really have a retort to the hating. If you thought it was funny, I'm glad you got a laugh. If not, oh well, no need to post that I'm a "retard." Kiss my ass. I will still be out on the beach with my JEEP loving life.

Last edited by 07armygreen; 07-29-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've made several people stop texting or talking on their cell with my fire engine horn, in fact while driving, thats about the only time I use it. Weaving on the lanes, stopped at a sign or light. I blast the hell outta them. One lady's cell flew out the window, haha. Too bad a 35in mud tire ran over it.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I've made several people stop texting or talking on their cell with my fire engine horn, in fact while driving, thats about the only time I use it. Weaving on the lanes, stopped at a sign or light. I blast the hell outta them. One lady's cell flew out the window, haha. Too bad a 35in mud tire ran over it.
HA...that's what I'm talking about. Too bad my horn is filled with mud.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Nothing personal, my comments were aimed at those who do this often, and put on make-up, brush their teeth, juggle items, etc. while driving. So they spun it and made you look like an advocate for it. That's understandable and it's not your fault. If it was me I'd be pretty upset with the news for making you look like an irresponsible driver.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 07armygreen

Baltchief- truly sorry for your loss. I have lost friends to car accidents and it is horrible.

I have removed the link, guess it's not for everyone. This forum has always been positive and helpful for me the last 2 years, I will keep it that way. I thought it was cool to see my JEEP on the news and make fun of my raccoon tan...shoot me. I now wonder how athletes deal with seeing the edited version of what they say....its crazy how it turns out. But I must say, if the best thing you have tonight is post calling me retarded, an ass, insinuate that I advocate drunk driving, or tell me "if your not dead." Get a life and a sense of humor. I agree it came out half-retarded...that's FUNNY. I enjoy poking gun at myself. I am more passive on the net than in real life (opposite of many I think) so I don't really have a retort to the hating. If you thought it was funny, I'm glad you got a laugh. If not, oh well, no need to post that I'm a "retard." Kiss my ass. I will still be out on the beach with my JEEP loving life.
I find it hard to believe that ANYONE would take ANYTHING todays media puts out as actual truth. Your first post maybe shoulda included, "Ahhh, the powers of editing" I wanna see someone text while descending a steep rocky decline, now that sir would be skillful.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

07armygreen -- umm... you weren't just trying to call me out were you
Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Jedi

My son just called while I was reading this thread. I had to ask him if he tried to text and drive at the same time. He said no. I said good, because today I AGAIN almost had somebody hit me......and and he was only TALKING on his cell...!!!
Be careful out there...!!!

Quick Reply: My JK was on NBCnews last night....was yours?