Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My jeep has a cold :( Engine & throttle control lights are on...

Old 12-28-2008, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My jeep has a cold :( Engine & throttle control lights are on...

So, yesterday, I got in my jeep and started her up. Kept the engine running and made a phone call before I left. After about 5 minutes and right when I was about to hang up, the engine sputtered and then a light came on in the dashboard, a red blinking lightning bolt. Also the slippery when wet looking light came on too like when you hit the ESP Off button. I looked it up in the manual and i think it said it was the throttle control and to turn off then engine and start again. I did, and it was fine the rest of the night.

This morning I ran out to the store and halfway home I hard a ding and looked at my dash and the check engine light came on, a few seconds later I got the blinking lightning bolt and esp light again. The engine was kind of sputtering when I was stopped at red lights but it never stalled or anything.

Anyway the dealer is closed now but I will call them in the morning.. but, has anyone had anything like this before? Any idea what it could be?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Check for codes?

1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.

2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has logged in any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear.

3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged in any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-28-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm.. I tried that, couldn't get it to work :(

Oh well. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow AM anyway. Hopefully it's nothing too bad and all under warranty.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Check out the Owner's Manual on the ETC light. There is a procedure to try when the light comes on to get it to clear. It said if it doesn't clear to call the dealer.

I had this a couple weeks ago, but it was only briefly. I remember it saying that if it was flashing, that wasn't a good thing. My light was solid and only lasted one on/off cycle.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah my light was flashing, I called the dealer he said it could be a number of things so I just made an appointment to get it checked out
Old 12-31-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got my jeep fixed today.. All covered under warranty.

The codes they got were P0507, P2173 and P2110

It was a sticky PCV valve, whatever the heck that is
Old 12-31-2008, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

positive crankcase ventilation valve Its part of your emission control system. It removes the gases in the crankcase.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Mine did the same thing, And the dealer replaced the Throttle body...
Old 01-22-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Also having the same issue withe my 2007 jeep wrangler engine light on, what could it be?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: My jeep has a cold :( Engine & throttle control lights are on...