Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My jeep doesnt open gated communitys

Old 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremy072288
I live in an apartment and when I leave in the morning for work they don't open. The gate is opened by a weight sensor. I guess my rig is to light to open it lol
Doubt it is a weight sensor unless it's also a scale. It is a buried horizontal loop of wire in the pavement that acts as a metal detector. The mass of the jeep is to high above the loop to induce the needed current level in the loop when it passes over it. Go to Edmunds Scientific website and order a Rare Earth Niobynium (sp?) magnet. Put it up under your frame rail or door sill and drive over the sensor. That should be enough to induce the trigger current flow in the loop. This has worked on several lifted trucks I own and also works on my Harley to trigger stop light left turn sensors.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was a teen I worked at wendies and we lowered our drive through average time by going outside and rubbing the metal pan lids on the sensors quickly so it appeared a car went from one to another in just seconds. If our average time was too high we would get a raft of shit for it. you can easily test it out by taking a large peice of metal out and rubbing it on the ground where you think the sensor is.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Will the magnet mess up the compass readings ?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

Most likely magnetic. When I started riding motorcycles I would wait at stoplights forever. One day a buddy told me the best tip. If first in line or alone at a light, put bike in neutral ( because of newer ignition/ trans kill switches) and put the kickstand down right on the line cut in the asphalt for the loop. Worked every time. Looks like it's time to find a really long kickstand for your jeep.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

i had this happen to me at my boss's house just after installing the 35's and TF leveling kit. couldn't figure it out the first couple of times then realized it was because of the added height.

Now i just drive up to the gate and slam on the brakes LOL I guess the nose of the jeep diving an inch or two causes the sensor to pick it up. I probably look like an idiot hitting the brakes like that, but it works
Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigJeschke
Looks like it's time to find a really long kickstand for your jeep
Lol...someone photoshop this please...
Old 03-04-2011, 11:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An unlimited with 17'' wheels and auto with hardtop weighs 4280 lbs. The extra inch or two ground clearance wreaks havoc with electro/magnetic sensors. An anvil on 6 feet of 1/2'' braided steel cable works stoplights and security gates just great...
Old 03-05-2011, 12:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sensor is almost certainly an inductance loop system. I find it strange the front axle isn't close enough to the induced em field to disrupt it and trigger the gate. It may either be a super underpowered system so the axle really isn't close enough, or it's got some sort of fault resulting in the same thing. I would complain, nicely, to the property managers about the problem and ask for a tech to see if there's anything they can do. I'm sure that won't work out for awhile if at all so just keep a scrap of steel or some other ferrous metal in the jeep to drop on the loop and pull back in or hidden in the bushes to use when you need to get out. Get real creative so people wonder what the hell you're always doing fishing for scrap metal at the gate.

Regardless, good luck escaping your parking lot.

Quick Reply: My jeep doesnt open gated communitys