Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My jeep doesnt open gated communitys

Old 03-01-2011, 01:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My jeep doesnt open gated communitys

I live in an apartment and when I leave in the morning for work they don't open. The gate is opened by a weight sensor. I guess my rig is to light to open it lol
Old 03-01-2011, 02:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy072288
I live in an apartment and when I leave in the morning for work they don't open. The gate is opened by a weight sensor. I guess my rig is to light to open it lol
That's funny. Do a few mod's and before you know it you can easily add a thousand pounds. Bet it opens then. Meanwhile, I wonder what motorcyclists do?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same issue at drive thru's. I wait and wait and wait and they never know I'm there. The McD's by my house says Jeeps never trip their sensor. I think theirs is a proximity switch becuase my '72 VW (1,800 lbs) has no trouble with it.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 AM
JK Freak

What do MC'ers do?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:32 AM
JK Freak

Are you sure it's a weight sensor and not a magnetic field sensor? I know stoplight trigger sensors use a magnetic relay under the pavement. Since our Jeeps are usually lifted, they won't trigger magnetic sensors. What you do is get a large magnet and stick it on the frame, bumper, or a skid. It should trip the relay.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 AM
JK Freak

These sensors have nothing to do with weight. They use an inductance loop that is often saw cut into the road surface (that's what those rectangular cuts in the road are at intersections and automatic gates). If the inductance loop is too short, you Jeep may be too high for the metal of the frame to trigger the loop sensor and open the gate. Careful since they often used the same type of sensor directly under the gate so the gate controller knows when there is a vehicle in the way and doesn't close the gate.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe the gates and drive thru's work off magnetif fields.. in other words there is magnetic strips in the ground, which being the jeep is metal pick it up..
now u lift your jeep which moves it farther away from the ground and u dont get picked up...
an old trick which i havent tried, but know works, is to attach a simple magnet onto maybe the front crossmember inside it.(bashbar), or on the frame and that should help alot.

magnet from a auto trans with hole in the center works good...
Old 03-01-2011, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get a few large washers, tie them onto a rope, open your door, lower the washers, and... tada - open gate.

na, just messing around. I'm lifted around 3" and only had this problem once at a red light. After sitting there for about 10 minutes I just ran the dang thing. Wife was freaked, but it was all good.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

Yeah...no way it's weight based only. Wrangler unlimiteds weigh over 5000 lbs. Well enough to trip any weight sensor.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had an issue on one that was triggered by a laser (like a garage door opener). I found that I just had to get REALLY close to the gate so that my tire would trigger it.

Quick Reply: My jeep doesnt open gated communitys