Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

my GF wants a 4dr - honest opinions needed

Old 08-09-2012, 02:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noxian
I dont blame you for not wanting to get rid of your 08. It would be a incremental upgrade even if you got a 2013.

I dont really look at the Interior in the 2011+ as being better, just a nicer designed plastic, afterall at the end of the day all they did was change the mold for the plastics
Yup, same stuff different looks!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubicop

Originally Posted by westchester

We all have price points for our purchases, a $100k house, $500k house, $2million house - Jeeps are the same. With 558,000 JK's made between 2007-2011, that's an opportunity to now pick-up a great deal.

The OP will know his price point, and should buy accordingly. If it's a low price, Magic and I support buying an early JK and will help accordingly. If you want a new JK with the revised bells and whistles, buy it.

For others, don't trash what you have no idea or helpful input on. Every manufacturer makes lemons, and these get blown out of proportion. Mine and most are very reliable, and within or exceed the expectations when bought it.

Is the 3.6L 2012 faster and fancier YES, is the 3.8L 2007-2011 crap - NO.

Cut the crap, let's get on with facts.
Buddy, blow off trying to tell me and others that we can't give our opinion and answer the OP's question. I'm sorry it doesn't agree with yours, but that doesn't make your opinion any more FACT than anyone elses.

Get over yourself.

To make an informed decision, he and his GF have to consider all sides of the equation. Ignoring one side because some Jeepers get butthurt every time something new comes out is not going to help either of them.
Where did he say you and others can't give you opinion? He didnt.

He said those who do not have both "generations" of the JK or have no experience with them not to add misleading information.

How is he ignoring one side of the equation? He's not.

He said the the OP's girlfriend is looking for a JK at a lower price get a 07-10/11. If they can get a 12-13, to go for it.
He said the 3.6 is an upgrade, but the 3.8 does the job too.

It seems like you are the one that needs to get over yourself.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, my only gripe with this forum, it's people like Rubi looking to start a fight and argument over literally nothing. Let's keep it about jeeps, and keep it positive. These spats just lead off topic.

Last edited by k0260; 08-09-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Ok. First off, what a great guy for looking into getting your girl her own Jeep. I first fell in love with Jeeps when I met my husband and his '95. They both stole my heart.

Honestly, I would rather have ANY '95 or above Jeep than no Jeep at all. Many of the previous posters forget how much MONEY it costs to purchase a new vehicle and most mere mortals cannot just go out and buy another '12 or '13 JK. If your girl really needs a 4 door and doesn't mind having a little loss of power, the 3.8 is Ok. I sold my '09 JKU for my '12 JKUR...the '09 was fine. That being said, most of the lifted first generation JK's were not lifted properly and have many many unresolved issues. If you do go that route, find one that is a mostly unmodded daily driver and do the mods yourself. Having said all of that, if I could, I would get back our first Jeep (1995, 4.0) which we had to sell for our first house. That was a REAL Jeep!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k0260
Let's keep it about jeeps, and keep it positive. These spats just lead off topic.
I can get behind that.

If I took his post the wrong way, I apologize. If I didn't, I sure don't though, haha
Old 08-09-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i totally appreciate everyone's thoughts on my post. the reason why we're looking at a 4dr is b/c i already have a 2dr and we will probably be bumping uglies with a purpose (other than for enjoyment) in the next few years so we are looking for something with a backseat for a kid to ride in. she's looking for an automatic because we live just outside of boston and she commutes through the city for work and she doesn't want to deal with the constant shifting (i do the same in my manual but i've never had an auto so stick is second nature). The upgraded interior is not so much of a selling point. when we met i was driving a 95 yj so she knows what that's like and my '12 has crank windows, no nav, no power anything, just a/c. the info i'm really looking for are the issues like the burning of oil and any manufacturing issues i should be aware of, general opinions on day to day driving power/ merging into highway traffic, etc. i'm so educated on the '12 and what's happening with them i was trying to get the cliffnotes on the older versions without having to read a gazillion other threads (if i took the time to read all of those i wouldn't have as much time to look at the expedition thread).

like i said i totally appreciate everyone's comments and i had no intention of starting a "what's better thread"

we're gonna go this weekend to start the process so keep the comments coming.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

We are a 2 Jeep family. 2012 Rubicon (manual) and a 2008 Sahara Unlimited (auto). We love them both for very different reasons. The '08 we've had for 14 months, bought it used and it hasn't given us a lick of trouble and she doesn't burn oil. After a year of driving the '08 we recently got a superchips and that has made a difference in drivability and being able to maintain highway speeds on an incline. We are longtime Wrangler owners, between the 2 of us we've had 6, the 2012 rubi is the only one purchased new. New or used, standard or auto, we've never had a problem. The 08 is our first 4DR and although we were reluctant Jeep purists to begin with, we both actually really enjoy the unlimited both as a daily driver/family vehicle and as an off road toy. I say go for it!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have no issues with the old interior, and she was ok with a YJ, I doubt you will have any issues with a 07-10.

Just drive one first with the auto to make sure she doesn't have different expectations, then fire away.

It is my not exactly incredibly humble opinion that you should get as new (and therefore as warrantied) a jeep as you can afford. But that would be my recommendation with any vehicle. Use due diligence, common sense, and trust your instincts when shopping, and I'm sure you'll both do just fine and come away with a vehicle you will enjoy for a long time.

Here's to that Jeep driveway.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noxian
I thought my TJ Interior looked better than the JKs 07-10, they tried to make the interior look too utilitarian.
Agreed, I still think the overall best Jeep to have is the LJ Rubicon, the tried and true 4.0 and more than enough space for a 2 door. I think a lot of people on here with 07-10 models are butt hurt by the overwhelming trend of favoritism to the newer interior, don't let it get to you, just enjoy what you have and don't worry about what others think.

I owned two TJ's ('98 and 2003) before my 2007 JKU Rubicon and even though I loved that thing I couldn't stand the motor and tranny. The interior wasn't bad but I think the newer interior ('11+) beats it hands down. Everyone keeps beating it down saying that it's "too nice" or "not utilitarian" enough, but lets be real here, 80% of Jeep Wrangler owners will most likely never take their Jeep off road let alone beat on it every weekend like a lot of us here do. So what's so bad about the majority having the option of those extra creature comforts for the daily commute or weekend cruise? If you think that the new "nicer" interior takes away from it's "hardcore" bloodlines then buy a base model and roll your windows up by hand, it still won't make you "more" of an off roader or more hardcore than the rest. Those that do take them off road and use them as an exploration vehicle don't kid yourself, you aren't a mountain man living on the edge of wordly existence getting by with the bare necessities and humility while using your Jeep day in and day out to scale mountain ranges and volcanos on your daily commute to the steel mill or mine. Progress in generations of vehicles is good for the consumer and making things nicer will only help sell more and I won't complain about those creature comforts while I'm out on the trail either.

At the end of the day the Jeep Wrangler is a widely loved SUV by many types and remains the only capable, true-convertible SUV on the market today. We all love Jeeps and whether or not you beat yours down a level 5 trail on the weekend or haul the kids to swim meets in it, I will still wave and appreciate that someone else enjoys the same thing as myself which should only help to insure its existence for many decades to come and my eventual purchase of newer model one day.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 4 door 2007-2010 will suit you just fine. 4 doors make car seats and baby bags much more tolerable. Although not as responsive as your 2012, my old 2009 3.8 sport with 3.73 gears and auto did just fine for me. Maybe people are just used to driving zippy cars, but I knew I bought a Jeep when I bought it, and the relative power loss was not an issue for me, it accelerated fine for the highway, I towed a 1000 lb trailer now and then without any issues, hauled lumber, took weekly trips with 3 dogs to dog parks, went camping, it was all fine. Love the 4 doors.

Your next question, if this is going to be a more family friendly Jeep is hard top or soft. I have had both, but my needs are different than yours. I love the open air too much, but both the soft top and my current trektop nx are much louder than the hardtop.

I had a 2009, and it did burn oil, about 1 quart per 5000 miles. However, I swear that when I switched to synthetic at 40k miles, it never burned oil again, and I got 2 more miles per gallon. I don't want to start a debate about synthetic vs conventional, but I was not a believer until I got a coupon making it about the same price as conventional and when I decided to start changing my own oil, I tried it out and never looked back.

Other questions you should be asking your girl are what are the other conveniences she would like. Power windows, connectivity group are very nice. I had roll up windows on my 09, manual locks, and my girlfriend hated them. The power package was weird at first for me, but really is way more convenient, especially with diaper bags and an infant in your arms.

Hopefully you find a loaded 2007-2010 in your price range. Wait for a loaded one is my recommendation. Tow package if it matters to you should not be a deal breaker, as I added on a hitch with the plug and play wiring for under $100. The only other minor upgrade I would do, especially if you plan on towing or are in very hot weather, is to add on an automatic transmission cooler, any where between $60-200 in parts depending on which kit you get.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: my GF wants a 4dr - honest opinions needed