Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

my GF wants a 4dr - honest opinions needed

Old 08-08-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TejasRubi

I didn't say that there weren't issues, nor did I mention anything about longevity since there really isn't any that have been around longer than 12 months. What I was referring to was the overall build quality, i.e. fit and finish of the interior and the materials used. If you are a doubter of my judgement then know that I speak from experience after owning a 2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon as well.
You said build quality. In my mind build quality means how a vehicle is built, and how it holds up. The materials are "nicer" in the 11+ but they are assembled in the same fashion as the older jeeps. You still get your rattles. I'm not doubting your judgement.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

We are the proud original owners of our 2008 JKU Sahara, and love it.

My wife picked it out, color and all. Yes it burned oil..which the dealer corrected, my rear carrier was repalced on warranty...other then that no issues. (knock on wood)

Yes it could use more HP, yes it would have been nice to have a auto trans cooler stock...but it's 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than any mini van, SUV or car I could be driving on a daily basis, and I'm proud of what I own.

As for the the interiour, I'm fine with it, my lovely wife thinks the new 2011+ (sorry guys) are way too fancy inside to be a real Jeep. We see a 2011+ on the road and i get the 'Oh is that the FANCY Jeep JK'.

2008, 2012, 1986, 1977... they are all Jeeps, and I love them all

Do your homework like any pre-owned vehical, a bit of warranty left won't hurt, and listen to your gut...it's usually never wrong, you will know a good deal then.

Best of luck.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ridelots24

i told someone it's my jeep lifestyle......
Guess its one of the Jeep things I don't understand
Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by westchester
There's way too many 2011/2012/2013 snobs out there. My 2007 daily driver and weekend offroader is a keeper, I wouldn't consider upgrading to newer fancier model, I'd use the $ to continue beefing my 2007.

2007 and up JKs are at bargain basement prices used, and 100s are available to choose from. Check all the recalls have been performed, find an honest seller that gives a decent assessment and provides receipts and dealer service records of what/any problems have been recalled or corrected, and jump straight in with both feet.
I so agree with this. Love my 08, no desire to "trade-up."

An older 4 door is a great rig at a great price. My 08 (2 door, but same generation) has no issues at all. No oil leaked, no warranty work...nothing, The only thing I had was the gas tank spitting fuel, had it fixed with no issues.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

I currently drive a 2012 JKU, before that I had a 2010 JKU. I didn't have any issues with the 2010 but I was in the position to upgrade without losing $. I love the fact that I can now accelerate off the on-ramp (the 2010 did not accelerate with any speed, I'm not sure what it did) but honestly if I hadn't been in the right place at the right time I'd still have the 2010.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

We have had our 2012 Unlimited since xmas and love it! We have twin 4 year olds who we strap in their car seats, take the top and doors off and watch people look in disgust! I LOVE IT! It is our first jeep and if we didn't have a camper to pull, I would have already gotten rid of our Suburban for another 2012.

You should wait till the "end of the year" clearances to try to get a 2012 or look hard enough for a new 2011.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ewilli
You should wait till the "end of the year" clearances to try to get a 2012 or look hard enough for a new 2011.
There are some really great financing deals in the US right now that make buying new a reasonable option to buying used.

Only in America though :(
Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 08 is at 50k miles. Wheeled fairly hard. Burns 2qts of oil every 5k miles. Other than that I have zero issues with it.

The interior does look cheap since they changed it but that's life.. it's a Jeep!

The only real downside is fuel mileage. 17.8 stock and 15 now with 35s.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

If you can't afford an 11-13, you're out of luck. The 3.8l engine in my 2008 JKU Rubi is a DOG. Can barely get out of its own way. I'm not very happy with that, but I couldn't afford a 12-13 either.

Plus's: The interior is comfy with dash well laid out.
It rides surprisingly well around town and soaks up a lot of tire ruts, washouts comfortably off road too.
It's like a mountain goat, it goes everywhere!

My 2008 hasn't had the massive oil leak problem that plagued Jeep for several years.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by westchester
There's way too many 2011/2012/2013 snobs out there. My 2007 daily driver and weekend offroader is a keeper, I wouldn't consider upgrading to newer fancier model, I'd use the $ to continue beefing my 2007.

2007 and up JKs are at bargain basement prices used, and 100s are available to choose from. Check all the recalls have been performed, find an honest seller that gives a decent assessment and provides receipts and dealer service records of what/any problems have been recalled or corrected, and jump straight in with both feet.
Same here I would not trade in my 07 JKU i have its loaded and yes it might be an oil burner or not enough HP etc but you can mod it like hell, and dealing with the computer is so much better and worth while IMO. I did some performance parts and tunes and it runs and sounds better than a stock 2012 because of it. Also the new interiors im not a fan of; keep that style in the grand cherokee the rugged utilitarian look is what I want in a wrangler, not a soccer mom with a soft top my . People are always going to tell you to go with the next best thing.

Quick Reply: my GF wants a 4dr - honest opinions needed