Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

my GF wants a 4dr - honest opinions needed

Old 08-08-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my GF wants a 4dr - honest opinions needed

My girlfriend wants a 4 door, an older one, can't afford a '12 or '13. I only know about '12s b/c that's what I have - is there anything I should know about the older models, any issues I should be aware of? It won't get modded, probably just 33s so I can upgrade to 35s. She'd be getting an automatic.

man I'd love to have a jeep driveway

thanks in advance
Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a million threads on issues with the 2007-2011 JK's, but I will touch on a few after having a 2007 JKU Rubi before my 2012 JKU Rubi.

The older models have the oil burning 3.8 that massively lacks torque and is tied to a badly geared 4 speed automatic.

The interior isn't as nice on the 07-09's, much more utilitarian and less refined, that may be a good thing to some, but usually a negative to a lot of women especially if your 2012 has Uconnect, NAV, and heated seats.

I feel like the overall build quality and attention to detail is better on the 12+ up too.

There are many other differences but with all of that said the JK regardless of the year is still a great vehicle as long as you respect it and appreciate it for what it is. Good luck with your search.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default 2012 4 dr jk

I've got a 2012 4 DR JK Unlimited with 4.5" AEV Suspension Lift, 37" BFG All Terrains, 17" AEV Sargese Black Wheels, Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper with 8K WARN Winch, AEV Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, Smittybilt Rocker Panel Guards, and 4.88 Gears.

It's the best vehicle I have ever owned. Already put almost 4K miles on it.

When I sit it next to my friends blue 2012 2 Dr with 2.5" Budget Lift and 35" Dunlops, it looks like a monster truck. I love it. Handles great on and off road. Sometimes the extra length comes in handy, there are areas where his 2 door will have a rear right or rear left tire several inches in the air on the trails while trying to make a steep downturn whereas mine never leaves the ground.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	351666
Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Huckleberryjeep
My girlfriend wants a 4 door, an older one, can't afford a '12 or '13. I only know about '12s b/c that's what I have - is there anything I should know about the older models, any issues I should be aware of? It won't get modded, probably just 33s so I can upgrade to 35s. She'd be getting an automatic.

man I'd love to have a jeep driveway

thanks in advance
Main issue I have is battling Chrysler and the dealership over my 08 defects of the gas tank overfilling and the manual popping out of first gear. They are aware of the problems but their words are the recalls are for a specific timeframe and a specific plant even though mine has the exact same issues
Old 08-08-2012, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

You could get a 2011, you get the older drive train, but the newer interior etc.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noxian
You could get a 2011, you get the older drive train, but the newer interior etc.
X2, this is the way I would go!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell her yours for what she can afford, then you can buy a 2013......

ok - honestly: last Friday i attended a local 'car cruise' but the feature that evening was 4x4's. Sure enough, i brought my JK and army trailer M1A101 to the show. my dog crapped inside my rig, which kept the nebby people away......

Anyway when i was walking around - i kept gravitating toward the older CJ's, YJ's etc. basically when Jeeps were made from metal vs plastic. from what i understand the old 4.0 L. was a great engine. I have the 2010 and wouldn't recommend anyone getting this power plant if they are going to use as daily driver. I dont have any idea what an old CJ would cost, but might be a consideration for you.

cheers & ride lots...
Old 08-08-2012, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ridelots24
Sell her yours for what she can afford, then you can buy a 2013......

ok - honestly: last Friday i attended a local 'car cruise' but the feature that evening was 4x4's. Sure enough, i brought my JK and army trailer M1A101 to the show. my dog crapped inside my rig, which kept the nebby people away......

Anyway when i was walking around - i kept gravitating toward the older CJ's, YJ's etc. basically when Jeeps were made from metal vs plastic. from what i understand the old 4.0 L. was a great engine. I have the 2010 and wouldn't recommend anyone getting this power plant if they are going to use as daily driver. I dont have any idea what an old CJ would cost, but might be a consideration for you.

cheers & ride lots...
i had a '90 and a '95 before the '12 - i think the older versions are a little "rough and tumble" for what she's looking for. but i like where your head is at. shit if i had a garage i'd get myself and old cj to to cruise in on nice days so i wouldn't have to take the hard top of the '12.
and those 4.0 were the BEST
Old 08-08-2012, 01:52 PM
JK Junkie

This could be your driveway Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	351715
Old 08-08-2012, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think a 2007-10 4 door would be great honestly as the family Jeep. Don't get me wrong I love my 2012. However, of you have a new 2 door, keep that as your Jeep to mod, upgrade, wheel, whatnot and use the 4 door for the fam, kids, dogs, camping, and when you need more room. If she is gonna drive it, then keep stock wheels, refresh the interior with new mats, organizers, seat covers, it'll do fine. I love my 2009, and if I didn't get a deal on my 2012, I would have kept it without regret.
Plus if in the future you do want to mod the 2007-2010, it's cheaper, and easier because of the older computer that has plenty of tuners available now. You could go from mild with a tuner to wild with a bolt on Ripp supercharger. The 2012 is no where close to being cracked from a computer stand point.
Especially since so many people have traded in 2007-2011 for the 2012's, you should be able to find great deals.

Quick Reply: my GF wants a 4dr - honest opinions needed