Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My first offroad experience! (w/ pics)

Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first offroad experience! (w/ pics)

I want to preface this by saying that I'm a total newb when it comes to offroading. All I know is that it looks like fun and I've been itching to get my jeep out there since I picked it up 3 weeks ago. Also keep in mind that my Sahara Unlimited is bone stock.

So I go out to my in-law's place and they have about 15 acres behind their house to roam. I get back there, climb a few little hills, climb over some fallen trees, grinning hysterically the entire way.

Not 10 minutes into my little adventure, I attempt to cross what I thought was a dry creekbed. I'm creeping along fine until I hit the sand and then come to a complete stop. I try to go forward, I try to go back. I'm already stuck. :sad:

Turns out this "dry" creekbed is actually about a foot of wet sand and clay. That stuff clogged up my tires so fast that I didn't stand a chance. I rocked it back and forth, tried to dig myself out, shoved pieces of wood under my tires. All to no avail. In the end, I found myself up to my running boards in sand. I was dug in deep.

I finally had to break down and call my father-in-law to come out and pull my baby out with his Ford F250. How embarrassing!

Also, unfortunately, I did not have my camera out there to document this event. I drove up to the house to get it right after this.

So after that excitement, I decided to take it easy and take a few pictures of the jeep in its natural habitat. Here are a few:

And my favorite pic:

Finally, I drove around a bit and decided to ride up on a large tree trunk to get another poser shot. I took a bad angle, though, and my tire slipped right off the edge of the trunk and slammed my poor jeep right down on it!

Look close and you can see my differential embedded in the tree trunk. That wheel there is hovering off the ground about a half inch. I'm not going anywhere.

We tried several different methods to drag me off of that thing until we eventually jacked the other wheel up, slipped a metal ramp underneath, and finally rolled off of it.

Thankfully, no damage was done!

I had a great time but I learned a few things:

1. I need to lift this bad boy. I was thinking 2" but now I'm leaning towards 4"

2. I need bigger and better tires. These stock tires don't grip mud at all.

3. I need to go out with someone who's been there, done that. I didn't have a clue what my jeep was capable of. I at least now know what it CAN"T do.

4. I'm a bit disappointed in my jeep. I'm hoping the poor performance was more user error than jeep error. I guess we'll find out over time.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very nice! I'm sure it was fun even though you hit a few snags.

Cool pictures, I would have liked to see it buried in the mud.

Beel
Old 02-05-2007, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Beel_MT
Very nice! I'm sure it was fun even though you hit a few snags.

Cool pictures, I would have liked to see it buried in the mud.

Beel
Yeah I was bummed I forgot my camera. Actually my wife had it and I didn't realize she was at the house when I called for help. Maybe I can recreate it soon!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also, as far as what your Jeep will do, you might check out the videos 2k2wranglerx has posted. He and his brother have Red Rock Unlimited Saharas and they frequently take them out on the trails.

They both have lifts and tires as well, so it will give you a good idea of what you'll end up with.

Beel
Old 02-05-2007, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't be disapointed - You now have a good story and some nice pictures.

As far as getting a lift, a 6" lift would not have stopped your differential from getting stuck on the stump. Only bigger tires that weren't slippery and full of mud would have helped. The stock tires are not mudders at all, but they will do fine on ice and snow as well as dry dirt.

Also, if you do a lift, remember that if you go over 2.5" you start having to do more than just switching out springs and shocks.

Your Jeep can do some incredible stuff if you drive it right and know what youare getting into.

Great looking Sahara BTW
Old 02-05-2007, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey, at least you were able to call the father-in-law and have him come pull you out....you coulda been stuck somewhere and had to hike a few miles somewhere to get someone to tow you out.

Still, a good first outing...you only got stuck "twice", and no major damage to anything.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lift, Serious Tires,..then go get serious. Nice looking Sahara, you looked like you had a ton of fun. Hey. even these get stuck
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

haha!

Yeah I had a great time. Was fun to see what the jeep could do. Was a great learning experience as well.

For those that are noobs like me I have one major piece of advice:

NEVER EVER EVER GO WHEELING ALONE!!

Oh yeah... and forgot to add a winch to my list of must-haves. I might've pulled myself out of my first jam with a decent winch.

This experience has also caused me to want an older TJ or CJ that I can just take out and beat all to hell. Maybe someday down the road....

And thanks for the compliments! I love this rig!!

Quick Reply: My first offroad experience! (w/ pics)