Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My first non-scratch damage... make me feel better!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first non-scratch damage... make me feel better!!!

So I was wheeling today, had a great time. Right up until the end.

I was stuck in mud in a slight bend, with a tree on the inside of the turn. I had to fold my mirror in to get by, with maybe 2-3" of clearance. I was stuck though, there were some logs stopping me from going ahead.

Anyway, I took a 2ft "run" at it, and "crunch", my mirror housing gets crushed between the tree and my door. I'm thinking "Ah crap, oh well, mirror housing isn't that bad, I'll crazy glue it".

After I got unstuck via winch, someone says "Hey does your passenger window still open?", to which I say "Whaaa?"

Well, I check and I've got a ding from my mirror in my door, right on the bend... about quarter-sized. As a result of the "ding", there's about a 5-6" diameter "wow" in the door as well. We pulled on it a bit, so window movement is entirely uninhibited now.

Anyway, this is my first non-scratch damage, and I feel like sh!t! I almost puked when I saw it...

I guess I'm looking for reassurance and advice on how to move past this! How do you guys deal with this sort of thing? My wife isn't/wasn't mad, so that's a plus, but I'm still a bit grumpy.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

You know this story you just told?

You will remember the fun day years from now when you tell someone about how that dent got there.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i almost had some damage today also, nearly made me sick.. but we got mine fixed. the plus for you, is that you can buy doors and stuff. everybody gets damage sir, and some worse than others. it is bound to happen whether you're wheeling hard without a care or trying to be careful. the damage factor is always there. somebody on here has a funny but true quote in their sig about "buying an offroad vehicle and being offroad risks damage and i accept that" i like that quote. all damage hurts though.. good luck with that though you will be fine, at least it's a good story!
Old 11-08-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, you're gonna' get a lot of comforting advice from this and a lot of shit talking too. My advice:

All these feelings will go away after you leave it out in the rain (topless and preferably door-less) for a day or two. Oh yeah, and you can hide the "wow" with mud "makeup". Look at it this way: how many other vehicles out there actually look better dirty, dented and "non-scratched"?
Old 11-08-2008, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Damage Virgin

No matter what vehicles I have owned, that first ding does piss you off but after you calm down , the pressure is off. I think it makes you a little less anxious in precarious situations on the trail. Keep your eyes out for a new door or think of this as an opportunity to try your hand at body work.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

The best way to beat it is to get a bigger and better "wow"! My husband's first non scratch damage was heart breaking. Now it's unrecognizable. But his isn't a JK.

I can't talk though, I freaked out when I saw a door ding. Then my friend just had to point out that there was more than one! We'll see what happens tomorrow on the trail Hopefully I won't get any...but Lord grant me the ability to accept it if I do!

And I have to add:
Old 11-08-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wear it with pride!
Old 11-08-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

ya I remember my first pin striping my first rock rash on my pretty moabs

now as long as I can drive home under my own power it's a good trip

hey it's a Jeep be proud that you use for what it was intended for

Old 11-08-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saltman
Wear it with pride!
No Lie! Dents are like Scars. Hurt like a Mother-Fer when you get them but when you look at them later they let you relive the "fun"
Old 11-08-2008, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the encouragement guys Keep it up.

Here's a pic of the damage. It looks a lot worse here than it is thanks to the "wow".

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dent.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	15366  

Quick Reply: My first non-scratch damage... make me feel better!!!